• Current Donation Goals

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Michael Tucker

Chelsea 0 Valencia 1

14 minutes ago, fillerywhereru said:

I actually thought Azpi played well last night

Me too, Willian too.
I think certain players are going to be targeted this season in long honoured fashion.  Especially now that we lack the control to win the games we should do.  

13 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

Me too, Willian too.
I think certain players are going to be targeted this season in long honoured fashion.  Especially now that we lack the control to win the games we should do.  

Willian needs to be better than last night IMO, being one of our experienced players he needs to start taking control of games and leading by example, too often you see him make a mistake and sulk about it or start blaming others. He also missed our best chances last night and his refusal to set up others in a better position is incredibly frustrating and cost us last night.

Azpilicueta played alright and was getting in good positions, but his delivery was very poor last night - it would always get close to the right area, but never quite right - had his deliveries been better, we could have possibly got a goal or two.

My biggest issue with both the players mentioned though is the seeming lack of leadership from 2 of our most experienced players. We have a very young and inexperienced squad and they need leaders out there, we currently don't have any.

chara   
18 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

I think certain players are going to be targeted this season in long honoured fashion.    

Sad but true.

chelboy   
1 hour ago, chara said:

Hmm..now and again I get a bit suspicious of Father Christmas...Tinkerbell however I do KNOW is real!

Didn't see the game due to hospital apt and only got back in time for missed penalty ..followed the game on here at that stage so unable to make any comments but I'm a little concerned that James keeps being mentioned more and more. Not that I don't want to see what he can do but rather there seems to be a build up of expectation that is very unfair on the boy. Almost being mentioned with the same breath as Kante coming back...Don't want to see him ease into the side and hammered because he is human not a second coming of a world class  full back yet.Have high hopes for him but please let him progress without over bloated expectations.

It is not so much the expectations, it is that we get a player that suits the role he is being given. I am not expecting him to be amazing this season by any means but having two modern day full backs on either side will change this team. I feel like the full back role has become a bit underrated in this forum. The level of crossing I saw yesterday was below par and I would be surprised if people thought Azpi ball distribution was good enough. We attacked down the right side all game long and I can only remember the Tammy chance being the only dangerous cross. Azpi rarely got down the byline, a few of the crosses were from deep which are easier to defend against. Azpi is one of my fav players in this era but an attacking role just does not suit him. 

24 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

Willian needs to be better than last night IMO, being one of our experienced players he needs to start taking control of games and leading by example, too often you see him make a mistake and sulk about it or start blaming others. He also missed our best chances last night and his refusal to set up others in a better position is incredibly frustrating and cost us last night.

He seemed very ready to make things happen.  I don't see the sulking, I just see him telling players what he had hoped would happen.
I'm not sure just what it is that turns people against Willian.  I suppose it is just the up and down nature of being an attacking AM, with Hazard getting so much credit.

24 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

My biggest issue with both the players mentioned though is the seeming lack of leadership from 2 of our most experienced players. We have a very young and inexperienced squad and they need leaders out there, we currently don't have any.

This is fair enough.  But the simple truth is that they were always quiet players even when we were winning two titles.  The 2014 leaders, JT, Costa, Ivanovic, Hazard and even the 2016 leaders, Luiz, Fabregas, Matic, have all moved or been moved on.  

Actually the real leader of this team now is Jorginho, but fans won't recognise that for some reason.

chara   
1 hour ago, chelboy said:

It is not so much the expectations, it is that we get a player that suits the role he is being given. I am not expecting him to be amazing this season by any means but having two modern day full backs on either side will change this team. I feel like the full back role has become a bit underrated in this forum. The level of crossing I saw yesterday was below par and I would be surprised if people thought Azpi ball distribution was good enough. We attacked down the right side all game long and I can only remember the Tammy chance being the only dangerous cross. Azpi rarely got down the byline, a few of the crosses were from deep which are easier to defend against. Azpi is one of my fav players in this era but an attacking role just does not suit him. when

Thanks mate...appreciate a thoughtful response to my post. Hoping for the results you suggest. Was just worried that too much may be expected quickly....your views are not just hopeful knee jerk ones...thanks for that...and yep...the full back role is oft underrated....when a full back starts to decline in the modern game there is nowhere to hide.

3 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

I think certain players are going to be targeted this season in long honoured fashion.   

It would be a strange season if posters didn't have different strong felt opinions on both players and coaches. Personally I can't remember when I've been more positive,  but if I turned into a rose tinted happy clapper I'd soon have it brought to my attention. 

chara   
53 minutes ago, NoblyBobly said:

It would be a strange season if posters didn't have different strong felt opinions on both players and coaches. Personally I can't remember when I've been more positive,  but if I turned into a rose tinted happy clapper I'd soon have it brought to my attention. 

Well Nobly you are being reasonable and pretty much taking the line most of us do BUT I believe Droy means the "agenda" type postings

that only take one view of a player.For example I'm still not convinced about RLC on a long term but am very willing to accept it if he proves me wrong and not fixated on a negative.

1 hour ago, chara said:

Well Nobly you are being reasonable and pretty much taking the line most of us do BUT I believe Droy means the "agenda" type postings

I know what he meant and I thought it a little rich tbh. Let me know when Droy pays Lampard a genuine compliment or RLC for that matter (but don't hold your breath!)