• Current Donation Goals

Please use this thread for all posts relating to our Premier League match against Liverpool at Stamford Bridge, before, during and after the game.

The Moderators will be keeping an eye on things, so let's try to keep it intelligent.

Please note that this un-moderated forum is a privilege and its abuse will result in the suspension of your account.

The match is scheduled to kick off at 16:30, Sunday, 22nd September, 2019 (Local UK time/date).

Will be interesting to see how Lampard sets up the team for this one. Will we try to stifle them with a medium block and low press while playing 3atb or will he go all in and try to beat them at their own game? 

Hopefully Kante is back for this one. I also hope Rudiger isn’t out injured again. 

6 hours ago, The_Ghost said:

Will be interesting to see how Lampard sets up the team for this one. Will we try to stifle them with a medium block and low press while playing 3atb or will he go all in and try to beat them at their own game? 

Hopefully Kante is back for this one. I also hope Rudiger isn’t out injured again. 

I agree. Very interesting game for us in regard to set up. Personally, I think Kante and Rudi will be fit for this one and we may even see James and CHO on the bench. I think Valencia may be too soon for all four and/or SFL will prioritise this one.

As for formation, I hope to see a continuation of 343/352. For me, I would go with: 

Kepa 

Rudi Christensen Tomori

Dave Kante Jorgi Kova Emerson 

Mount/Pedro

Tammy/Giroud

For me, it will be important in this game to hold off the Scum for the first 60 mins and then hit them in the last 30, as their style of play and wanting to win all games by as many as they can leads them to becoming more open as the game progresses. As a result, I would try and stifle them for as long as possible and then try to win it in the last 25-30 minutes. 

The danger with 352/3511 is how it isolates the CF. As a result, I can see a situation where Pedro and Giroud start in order to do the donkey work and then bring on fresh legs for the final 30. This however, will depend on the line up for Tuesday. I reckon between Tammy, Mount, Pedro and Giroud, the four will share a start each over the next two games. Although, if Tammy starts and scores against Valencia then he will be getting into untouchable territory. 

If SFL goes for 343, I can see Jorgi being dropped with Mount and Pedro alongside Tammy. 

Cannot wait for this one.

Edited by King Kante

It isn't the format on paper that matters.  It is the manager getting the players to make the right decisions in terms of over committing forwards (or precisely 3 years ago over retreating).
I really don't care if we have 3 4 or 5 at the back so long as we don't overcommit.  We got the balance quite right in the Supercup with a conventional 433.

I can't see Frank not starting Tammy and Mount for this one, why would he? Been 2 of our best players so far this season. The biggest question will be whether we play 3 at the back and who will partner Kante. Personally I'd stick with 3 at the back - our back 4 would be terrorised by Liverpool's front 3. I would then go Kovacic over Jorginho as he's better at breaking play up and bringing the ball forward.

Kepa

Rudiger Christensen Tomori

Azpi Kovacic Kante Emerson

Pedro Mount

Tammy

Edited by My Blood Is Blue

1 hour ago, paulw66 said:

If Kante isn't back, I really fear for this one 

I am fairly certain both he a Rudi will be back for this one. Question will be whether James and CHO are ready for the bench yet. 

18 hours ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

Personally I'd stick with 3 at the back - our back 4 would be terrorised by Liverpool's front 3.

Like the European Super Cup? No? 

I'd go with;

Arrizabalaga

Azpilicueta Rüdiger Christensen Emerson

Kanté   Jorginho   Kovacic

Pulisic               Abraham            Mount

I wonder whether Giroud might get the nod for this actually, he has caused Van Dijk problems every time he has faced him. It's the clever movement he has. Van Dijks achilles heel is basically not looking behind him or being aware of those kind of runs. most times Liverpool concede it is partially or fully down to that.