• Current Donation Goals

Michael Tucker

Chelsea 7 Grimsby Town 1

Please use this thread for all posts relating to our EFL Cup 3rd Round match against Grimsby Town at Stamford Bridge, before, during and after the game.

The Moderators will be keeping an eye on things, so let's try to keep it intelligent.

Please note that this un-moderated forum is a privilege and its abuse will result in the suspension of your account.

The match is scheduled to kick off at 17:45, Wednesday, 15th September, 2019 (Local UK time/date).

Rob B   

Need to get our first home win here, and I wonder if two defeats in a row will affect what team Frank would have ordinarily put out? 

I’d go...

Caballero; James, Tomori, Zouma, Alonso; Gilmour, Kovacic, Barkley; Pulisic, Michy, CHO;

Rests for Kepa, Azpi, Jorginho and Abraham. Recovery time for Christensen, Emerson, Rudiger, Kante and Mount.

Opportunities for 2-3 youngsters and 2-3 fringe players but overall a strong team.

• Like 1

I think we might see Guehi get a start here. The PL2 looks way too easy for him, he is playing in 3rd gear in those games. He needs to be tested up against men and this looks a good opportunity. Probably in alongside Zouma so he has some experience alongside him, followed by hopefully a Championship loan at some point during the season, though he is probably 5th choice CB at present so may need to stick around.

Have to take this opportunity to rest some players, especially with the number of injuries we have and seem to be picking up. Whatever the team we should still be strong enough to get through and finally get the first home win of the season and for Frank.

Caballero

James Zouma Guehi Alonso

Gilmour Barkley

Pedro Pulisic CHO

Batshuayi

Bench: Cumming, Tomori, Maatsen, Kante, Mceachran, Willian, Giroud

Holymoly   

I don't think Frank will make wholesale changes as he is still trying to engender the team's work ethic. Probably a rest for those carrying niggles, Kante, Mount, the entire defense I'm guessing ;-)

We need a solid home win here however, something to get the fans cheering the players. Then follows a run of entirely winnable fixtures. We need to get to the point where winning becomes the proverbial habit.

Jasonb   

I think Frank will prioritise getting his first win at SB so guess he will rest only those carrying knocks and the keeper.

I guess he will have subs from the wider squad should we start to score for fun.

The home win I would expect is key for this one so minimal changes except keeper rotation.

^^ Surely the best way to get the first team going is to work on them all week in training and let an entirely different team go out against Grimsby.  Ideally coached by someone else too.  Plenty of junior staff available to coach the B-team.

Grimsby  - always liked this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAg-A5LDsTY

• Like 2

Hysterical Droy, particularly liked:

"Through nights of mad youth, I have loved every sluice in your harbour
     And in your wild sands from boyhood to man, strangers have found themselves fathers"

Shame he never wrote anything about the olfactory delights of Pyewipe, or the Elysium that is Cleethorpes on a bank holiday Monday.

42 minutes ago, blue moon said:

Hysterical Droy, particularly liked:

"Through nights of mad youth, I have loved every sluice in your harbour
     And in your wild sands from boyhood to man, strangers have found themselves fathers"

Shame he never wrote anything about the olfactory delights of Pyewipe, or the Elysium that is Cleethorpes on a bank holiday Monday.

Glad you liked it - it was Bernie Taupin, his lyric writer who was brought up from near there.  Saturday Night's All Right For Fighting was about the same clutch of towns.  

I'd go with a very young side for this one. 

Caballero; James, Guehi, Tomori, Alonso; Gilmour, Kovacic, Barkley; Pulisic, Batshuayi, Hudson-Odoi

• Like 1