• Current Donation Goals

I think it was after the Sheffield game Frank was talking to Lkneker in the MOTD studio and said he didn't think man to man marking was a viable option these days, I guess because of VAR and other things. Got the impression there was 0 chance of us moving away from zonal marking, think the issue is our implementation rather than the system itself.

41 minutes ago, chelboy said:

Yesterday should have been a tight box of 6 with Azpi and James in front of the line of 4. It is so easy to run and find space between those 4. You need two players in front of them who actually man mark slightly and block runs. Even a 5’5 person can sneak in between the gaps and score against us. 

We did have 2 guys in front of the wall.  Trouble is Lille had 4 people threatening to step forward into it.  2 got blocked but they simply took the block and allowed the other 2 to be free.
You can see Jorginho blocking the No6 and James blocking the No4 below.  Kante was nearby too and blocked on other set pieces.

image.png.bfc711bfd10cf4598559f8ff4185674f.png

Blue Rod   
2 hours ago, Lump Of Celery said:

I think it was after the Sheffield game Frank was talking to Lkneker in the MOTD studio and said he didn't think man to man marking was a viable option these days, I guess because of VAR and other things. Got the impression there was 0 chance of us moving away from zonal marking, think the issue is our implementation rather than the system itself.

I agree; we need to make zonal marking work. Looking at the Lille goal, there was no marking, let alone zonal. We had 4 defenders standing in a line, with barely anyone moving till the last moment by which time the striker was already airborne and head and shoulders above his marker. 

No system of marking removes the need to anticipate and move up, down or across, ahead of your opponent. That has always been the essence of football; being ahead of your opponent, mentally or physically 

chelboy   
2 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

We did have 2 guys in front of the wall.  Trouble is Lille had 4 people threatening to step forward into it.  2 got blocked but they simply took the block and allowed the other 2 to be free.
You can see Jorginho blocking the No6 and James blocking the No4 below.  Kante was nearby too and blocked on other set pieces.

image.png.bfc711bfd10cf4598559f8ff4185674f.png

Everyone else seems to be doing a decent job but Tomori seems to assume Zouma has the header. I think if Zouma and Tomori swap places that header is cleared. 

kev61   

Only two teams have an against gd worse than us(Norwich and  Watford)in the whole league! - we need to "tweak" things very quickly if we are going to adopt zonal marking permanently, unless we have a 'roy of the rovers' type player that will help us outscore  the the opposition

Zonal marking is like putting a blindfold on a defense and then taking it off just as the ball is kicked.

Edited by kev61

Jasonb   

I would say set-piece marking is a bit of an art, making sure you are aware of your opponents and following the trajectory of the ball to either clear or prevent the goal being conceded from your zone.

Kepa does not come for the ball even to punch, we have fewer taller chaps than before and we have had several centre back changes since the season started.

Frank must be doing training on this, the question is how quickly we can improve this given injuries to key defenders.

paulw66   

Lots of people complaining about the ref......... with a 9pm kick off local time, I was too p*ssed to work out what was going on TBH. 

What did he do wrong? 

49 minutes ago, Jasonb said:

I would say set-piece marking is a bit of an art, making sure you are aware of your opponents and following the trajectory of the ball to either clear or prevent the goal being conceded from your zone.

Kepa does not come for the ball even to punch, we have fewer taller chaps than before and we have had several centre back changes since the season started.

Frank must be doing training on this, the question is how quickly we can improve this given injuries to key defenders.

It is just a horrible set up full stop. The suggestions on here are just attempts to polish a t***. Fundermental problem with zonal marking, which has been the case since day dot, is that defneders are left flat footed in it as they esstentially are told to stand some where and stay there. As a result, they end up fixed to a position and ball watch. This then leaves the opposition chances to run inbetween, which if they are successful means they get the header as they have the run/jump on the CF. 

To compound this even further, we have a stay at home keeper, which means that headers are coming in from very close range and esstentially makes them unstoppable as he does not defend his six yard area properly. 

The whole set up is a disaster from start to finish and it needs scrapping.

Further to this, the coaches for defence and goalkeeping need to sort out the aggressiveness of the players in those positions as at the moment they put up as much resistance as a wet paper bag when defending. 

4 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Lots of people complaining about the ref......... with a 9pm kick off local time, I was too p*ssed to work out what was going on TBH. 

What did he do wrong? 

I thought he was fine. He let quite robust challenges go but he did it for both sides. 

1 hour ago, King Kante said:

The whole set up is a disaster from start to finish and it needs scrapping.

... so we should go m4m like......

There is a lot missing in these moans about our Zonal.  Mostly that almost no club does it differently.

Refine or improve out zonal makes a lot of sense, though clear suggestions are missing.  Go back to m4m requires a lot of explanation - none has been supplied..