• Current Donation Goals

2 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

Bloody hell Droy, are we already in season rescuing mode?! 

Yes.  We certainly are if we don't win this game.

And it is not as if we are above random results.

Just now, Droy was my hero said:

Yes.  We certainly are if we don't win this game.

And it is not as if we are above random results.

European season, yes, but the season, no. Our focus isn't on winning the CL this season, we all know that the main target is securing European football for next season. Getting out the group is probably the target and from there it's knockout football and we just see what happens.

If we don't win tonight, the CL isn't over for us, it would be a lot harder than we would like, but I think this team is only going to get better with every game, so 4 wins in this group shouldn't be beyond them.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

Do you think PL is higher profile than CL?  Already?

I'd have said that this is one of the biggest games of the season.  Lose or draw this and getting through the group will be really tough.  The next big game after this might well be the EL final.

A CL QF rescues the season for us.  

Well we can’t really win either this season. I accept on paper we have more chance in CL right now, but we can’t seriously challenge.

My season expectations are low and I’m comfortable with that. CL QF achieves very little in reality and bit like you said, if we are not going through the group then 4th is probably better than 3rd .

I'm not waving the CL white flag, but I think the club and progress of  the players will gain more by focusing on the league. We still have a squad of enough quality to get a result in Lille and rest some players. I appreciate not everyone will view it like that, but league comes first for me with where we are now. 

6 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

If we don't win tonight, the CL isn't over for us, it would be a lot harder than we would like, but I think this team is only going to get better with every game, so 4 wins in this group shouldn't be beyond them.

It very likely is. 

4 wins - you are kidding.  You think cock ups like the Valencia game are not going to happen again?
We are a random side with random results.  The days of Conte or even Sarri, where we regularly won games while looking no better than the oppo are long behind us.

Our focus should be on a CL QF as a sign of strength.  We won't get top 4 in the Prem, I think we all know that already.  That is why Luiz went to Arsenal.  They want top 4, we know our limitations.

Just now, Droy was my hero said:

It very likely is. 

4 wins - you are kidding.  You think cock ups like the Valencia game are not going to happen again?
We are a random side with random results.  The days of Conte or even Sarri, where we regularly won games while looking no better than the oppo are long behind us.

Our focus should be on a CL QF as a sign of strength.  We won't get top 4 in the Prem, I think we all know that already.  That is why Luiz went to Arsenal.  They want top 4, we know our limitations.

Did you watch the Man Utd vs Arsenal match last night? You think those 2 sides are better than us?

We don't know why Luiz actually left, but I think it was because he wasn't going to be guaranteed first-team football all season.

Agree RE us having random results through this season, it's definitely going to be an up and down season, I don't doubt that however as I said, this side IS good enough to win 4 games in this group (I guess we'll see come the end of the group stage) and as I also said, this side will only get better as the season goes on, through gaining experience and players coming back from injury. So I would say we'll be stronger for the second half of the group stage than the first.

CL QF as a sign of strength? To who? What strength are we showing if we get to the CL QF but aren't back in the competition next season? Our focus should surely be on the league and the CL is a nice bonus as we go along.

31 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

Did you watch the Man Utd vs Arsenal match last night? You think those 2 sides are better than us?

I think Arsenal will consistently get better results than us, even with weaker players.  Us and Man U is a lottery in every respect, but they came out 4 goals up in the last throw of the balls.
Leicester look considerably better than us.  

34 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

We don't know why Luiz actually left, but I think it was because he wasn't going to be guaranteed first-team football all season.

... because Frank is managing for next season.

34 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

Agree RE us having random results through this season, it's definitely going to be an up and down season,

It is exceedingly difficult to accumulate 70+ points if you have an up and down season.  Win a cup sure, but 70 points requires proper consistency.

In the last 3 seasons 5 of the big 6 have got 70+ points, you can forget CL entry without 70+ points.  But in the last 10 seasons only Everton (13/14, 5th, 72 points) and Leicester in 15/16 have achieved 70+ without being a top 6 team.

Random results and top 4 are just not compatible.  We can't be top 4 this season.  Sorry, but we all knew that.  What we didn't know (or had forgotten) is that roller coaster football can be a lot of fun.

48 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

CL QF as a sign of strength? To who? What strength are we showing if we get to the CL QF but aren't back in the competition next season? Our focus should surely be on the league and the CL is a nice bonus as we go along.

We won't be in the CL next season.  It might be the only time in 3 or 4 seasons. Make the most of it.

5 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

I think Arsenal will consistently get better results than us, even with weaker players.  Us and Man U is a lottery in every respect, but they came out 4 goals up in the last throw of the balls.
Leicester look considerably better than us.  

That's a matter of an opinion, but not one I agree with. Arsenal will be as inconsistent as they have been for the last few years. Man Utd came out 4 goals up in a freak match, 9/10 that result never happens and to me, they currently look the 7th best team in the league this season.

Leicester looking good at the moment, yes - can they keep it up for the season, we shall see.

... because Frank is managing for next season.

Not sure what you mean by that? Are you saying he didn't want to work under Frank or that Frank didn't match his ambition?

It is exceedingly difficult to accumulate 70+ points if you have an up and down season.  Win a cup sure, but 70 points requires proper consistency.

In the last 3 seasons 5 of the big 6 have got 70+ points, you can forget CL entry without 70+ points.  But in the last 10 seasons only Everton (13/14, 5th, 72 points) and Leicester in 15/16 have achieved 70+ without being a top 6 team.

Random results and top 4 are just not compatible.  We can't be top 4 this season.  Sorry, but we all knew that.  What we didn't know (or had forgotten) is that roller coaster football can be a lot of fun.

We won't be in the CL next season.  It might be the only time in 3 or 4 seasons. Make the most of it.

Fair points with regards to points required, however, I do think the level of the teams from 3rd to 7th isn't as good as it's been recently, so I think points totals may be a little lower this season, but we'll see how the season pans out. But I reiterate that I fully expect this Chelsea side to only get better as the season goes on as our young players gain experience at this level and learn how to manage games better etc - meaning the random results should become a lot less the further on we go. 

To flat out say we CAN'T be top 4 this season is a bit of a silly statement, I'm not suggesting it will be easy, but it's absolutely what we should be aiming for. Top 4 is ideal and top 6 is what should be seen as acceptable for this season - that's why I said earlier that securing European football for next season is our main focus.

I'm not trying to be all happy-clappy about this season, I completely understand it's a very tricky season for us, but I don't think we should be writing things off as much as you seem to be. I think, if the young players can continue to learn as quickly as they have been so far, then we can absolutely get top 4 this season. If we don't though and we finish 5th or 6th, I'd take that this season and I think it still puts us in a strong position to push on from over the coming seasons.

10 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

*** I don't know why the quotes have done that in my post above, but it also won't let me edit it. Sorry! ***

And I can't quote direct from it either - weird.

Arsenal inconsistent.
Actually they have been remarkably consistent - one year below 70 points in 9.  They have consistently failed to hit the highs needed to challenge for the title but always been close to 4th place.

Not sure what you mean by that? Are you saying he didn't want to work under Frank or that Frank didn't match his ambition?
Neither.  I think that if the goal was 4th place or bust then Luiz would have stayed - after all is we extended his contract because we thought he would play.  Now that re-build is more important then an £8m offer + his probably high wages was an offer that began to look attractive.  And if Arsenal wanted 4th place more than Chelsea, Luiz was probably best to accept the offer too.

To flat out say we can't be top 4 this season is a bit of a silly statement...
Not as silly as saying we can win 4 out of 4 games in the CL group:)  In the end the club must have medium term goals.  If the goals were 4th place, I'm pretty sure that Luiz and Fabregas wouldn't have been let go, Higuain might well have stayed, the Moses deal would have had an option for him to return and he might well have returned, and Zappacosta would have stayed.

Meanwhile the football would be a whole lot less adventurous.  Sarri (16/17) and Conte wanted 4th place or better, they played safe football.

The club isn't taking 4th place as a serious option.

3 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

And I can't quote direct from it either - weird.

Arsenal inconsistent.
Actually they have been remarkably consistent - one year below 70 points in 9.  They have consistently failed to hit the highs needed to challenge for the title but always been close to 4th place.

Neither.  I think that if the goal was 4th place or bust then Luiz would have stayed - after all is we extended his contract because we thought he would play.  Now that re-build is more important then an £8m offer + his probably high wages was an offer that began to look attractive.  And if Arsenal wanted 4th place more than Chelsea, Luiz was probably best to accept the offer too.

To flat out say we can't be top 4 this season is a bit of a silly statement...
Not as silly as saying we can win 4 out of 4 games in the CL group:)  In the end the club must have medium term goals.  If the goals were 4th place, I'm pretty sure that Luiz and Fabregas wouldn't have been let go, Higuain might well have stayed, the Moses deal would have had an option for him to return and he might well have returned, and Zappacosta would have stayed.

Meanwhile the football would be a whole lot less adventurous.  Sarri (16/17) and Conte wanted 4th place or better, they played safe football.

The club isn't taking 4th place as a serious option.

Maybe the forum is bored of our debate :)

Arsenals may be consistent with points total, but that kind of goes against your random results can't equal 70 pts and top 4, because they love random results!

As far as the 4 wins in CL group statement, I'm sticking by that, got every faith that we can do that. Lille x2, Valencia away and home vs Ajax is my prediction.