• Current Donation Goals

chelboy   
4 hours ago, King Kante said:

Yes, yes it will. As Droy says, TC and before him Cech both controlled their six yard boxes and that was a big reason why we were so good at defending set pieces. Additionally, our size is not that much different now to Conte. Rudi, Alonso, Dave are all still in the back line give or take, whilst Christensen also took over from Luiz in in Conte's second season. The only three really missing are Luiz, who everyone thinks is a clown Moses, who was hardly a machine in the air and Cahill who fair enough was good in the air, but even then he was in and out. 

I do like a lot of what Kepa does but his diabolical approach to set pieces is the single biggest issue we have defending them. The defence do need to do better but he cannot continue to stay on his line week to week as he is pretty much useless there as any header from 1-8 yards out is pretty much unstoppable unless it is directly hit at the keeper as their is no time to react. He simply has to start coming off his line as it is an obvious tactic teams are using against us and it is a basic requirement of a keeper considering they are normally one of the tallest players in the box and the only one that can use their hands/arms. 

Cech and Courtois had much better players physically and ability wise to be able to defend set pieces. Look at our midfield trio now. Who exactly is going to help with set pieces in that situation. All of them are lightweight . Terry Ivanovic Cahill Matic Mikel even Drogba/ Costa were all beasts in the air and much better at defending set pieces than any of our players today. Don’t think you can compare the players we had then with what we got now. We also had leaders at the back who could command such incidents and probably organise things better. Before a set piece who even talks or tries to get things organised at the back? Last season it was mostly Luiz I saw do that on a rare occasion. He was also probably our best defender in the air too last season and now he is gone. You have to accept that we have a lightweight team who are not going to be dominant in most set pieces. Teams like Burnley would be licking their lips when they see players like Kova and Jorginho in the heart of a set piece. 

It's obviously a bit of both when it comes to set pieces, defensively our players aren't as big, strong or good in the air as previous teams and so we don't win as many first or second balls from set-pieces and also Kepa being shorter than the 2 previous keepers, means he doesn't come out for many crosses and therefore more balls are in the air for the oppo to win. Let's also not forget the number of times one of the shortest men on the pitch, used to clear it off the line (best left-back to ever play the game).

It's clearly a massive problem for us and we're only going to be continued to be targetted for it until we find a way to solve it. They can try and get Kepa to come out more often, but that may lead to more mistakes with him missing the ball and leaving the goal empty. Another option could be to put a player/players back on the line/the post to give Kepa less of the goal to protect?

Currently, no easy way for us to resolve it, unless we find a way to make some of our players taller.

Jasonb   

I feel sure Frank would be aware of this yet there is probably a time lag in remedying assuming that Kepa is working in training on punching from crosses or corners.

It does seem with Luiz going we are now more susceptible in the air, in the short term a player on the line might help.

It seems without RLC we only have 4 players over 6'0 on the pitch, 2CBs, Alonso and Abraham.

We do have burley towards the end of this month who do have tall forwards in their squad, I expect this to be their tactic.

No hiding places in the EPL adapt or suffer the consequences.

3 hours ago, chelboy said:

Cech and Courtois had much better players physically and ability wise to be able to defend set pieces. Look at our midfield trio now. Who exactly is going to help with set pieces in that situation. All of them are lightweight . Terry Ivanovic Cahill Matic Mikel even Drogba/ Costa were all beasts in the air and much better at defending set pieces than any of our players today. Don’t think you can compare the players we had then with what we got now. We also had leaders at the back who could command such incidents and probably organise things better. Before a set piece who even talks or tries to get things organised at the back? Last season it was mostly Luiz I saw do that on a rare occasion. He was also probably our best defender in the air too last season and now he is gone. You have to accept that we have a lightweight team who are not going to be dominant in most set pieces. Teams like Burnley would be licking their lips when they see players like Kova and Jorginho in the heart of a set piece. 

Yeah those players were great in the air but at the same time the keepers did a lot of work for them also. I was always a bit defensive about TC as whilst I knew he wasn't a great shot stopper (Kepa is much better in this regards) I always felt safe on set pieces as I knew he would come and collect or punch the ball away. 

As for Kepa, the current set up is simply not working and he has to start coming for things. Now I do not expect him to catch like TC but I do expect him to punch things. Also, his physical size  (weight/build) does not have anything really to do with it, as a keeper if he gets hit when coming for stuff 9/10 he gets a free kick. For me this is not an excuse, he just needs to man up about it. As I said, staying on the line as a GK is not really an option as any header that is in and around the 6 yard area (1-8 yards) is virtually unstoppable unless it is straight at the keeper. As a result he needs to come and control that area as it is really the only way to prevent the goal. 

9 hours ago, King Kante said:

Yes, yes it will. As Droy says, TC and before him Cech both controlled their six yard boxes and that was a big reason why we were so good at defending set pieces.

I should have added that teams that put the ball in well will target a point just beyond that which a keeper will go for.  That point for Courtois was well outside the 6 yard box, for Kepa it is the edge.  Courtois wouldn't collect many crosses, but they ended up in much safer places.  An opponent with a clean header on the 6 yard line is probably scoring.

6 hours ago, chelboy said:

Not saying he is the best Gk in the world but he has more to his game than Courtois who is very limited. 

Personally, I think Kepa's a solid GK but I'm not so sure that he is better than Courtois. Courtois had 2 good seasons here and, at one point, replaced the likes of Cech. IMO, Courtois is better in terms of command, better also at shot-stopping, and he isn't terrible at receiving the ball at his feet either. Courtois definitely had/has what it takes to become the best in the world but he hasn't been able to muster consistency. 

2 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

I should have added that teams that put the ball in well will target a point just beyond that which a keeper will go for.  That point for Courtois was well outside the 6 yard box, for Kepa it is the edge.  Courtois wouldn't collect many crosses, but they ended up in much safer places.  An opponent with a clean header on the 6 yard line is probably scoring.

Is it even the edge? I am at all the home matches and, for corners at least, he doesn't even come for those most of the time. 

42 minutes ago, King Kante said:

Is it even the edge? I am at all the home matches and, for corners at least, he doesn't even come for those most of the time. 

Quite - the edge is where the ball is aimed and the attackers attack, knowing that Kepa will stay on his line for those crosses.  Damn sight easier to score from there than just outside Courtois catching range.

• Thanks 1

Kepa

Azpilicueta  Zouma  Tomori

James    Kante    Jorginho    Alonso

Willian   Abraham   Mount

Subs: Caballero, Christensen, Kovacic, Pedro, CHO, Bats, Giroud

James at RWB, cannot wait to see it!

Pulisic not even on the bench... hmm

Edited by My Blood Is Blue