• Current Donation Goals

Michael Tucker

Southampton 1 Chelsea 4

Ham   

Anyone see Dermot Gallagher today on Refwatch?

He never fails to unimpress. 

Naturally he insisted that Mane' was touched and so it was a penalty regardless of the dive. Ex-Dipper Steven Warnock agreed.

Fast forward a matter of seconds and they show the challenge from behind by Fernandinho on Jiminez. If you haven't seen it, Fernandinho puts a knee into the thigh of Jiminez from behind even they're both sprinting towards goal.

Gallagher: "There's contact but no penalty for me as it's just two players coming together". 

God bless him but Rob Whatton then points out the hypocrisy. He's the voice of reason. 

Bison   
24 minutes ago, Ham said:

Anyone see Dermot Gallagher today on Refwatch?

He never fails to unimpress. 

Naturally he insisted that Mane' was touched and so it was a penalty regardless of the dive. Ex-Dipper Steven Warnock agreed.

Fast forward a matter of seconds and they show the challenge from behind by Fernandinho on Jiminez. If you haven't seen it, Fernandinho puts a knee into the thigh of Jiminez from behind even they're both sprinting towards goal.

Gallagher: "There's contact but no penalty for me as it's just two players coming together". 

God bless him but Rob Whatton then points out the hypocrisy. He's the voice of reason. 

Chelsea fan so makes sense!

Good result and performance again.  We must stop doing some ridiculous things at the back though, against the better sides we'll pay for it.  Abraham and Mount again showed why they deserve to be in the team, and ditto Willlian and Jorginho, who have taken plenty of stick in the last year or so.  Southampton look a poor side, it'll be a long hard season for them.  And how did Wolves beat City?  We peed all over them at Molineux just a few weeks ago.  And the thought of Plopp's team winning the league is making me sick!  I hope they do a Newcastle back in '96 and blow it!

Edited by blueandproud

56 minutes ago, Ham said:

It does seem that the whole of Sky has gone off message and started having a go at VAR.
Amazing to see them bite the hand that feeds them.

Jasonb   
1 hour ago, blueandproud said:

Good result and performance again.  We must stop doing some ridiculous things at the back though, against the better sides we'll pay for it.  Abraham and Mount again showed why they deserve to be in the team, and ditto Willlian and Jorginho, who have taken plenty of stick in the last year or so.  Southampton look a poor side, it'll be a long hard season for them.  And how did Wolves beat City?  We peed all over them at Molineux just a few weeks ago.  And the thought of Plopp's team winning the league is making me sick!  I hope they do a Newcastle back in '96 and blow it!

Wolves seem better on the road against the bigger sides re counter attacking and I notice City got at least 4 yellows. I think they were missing KDB and Kompany yet credit to Wolves.

We do have good momentum going forward and agree we are seeing some strange defensive shenanigans with our defenders, Tomorri in particular this weekend.

18 hours ago, Blue Rod said:

As someone already says,  I struggle to see any footballing skill that qualifies Zouma to play at this level. Even his physicality doesn't convince. He seems to be already going down before he could put in a tackle. His turning speed  is like one of those lorries carrying extraordinary loads

I guess I'm one of the few who sees Zouma growing into this squad (which leaves Christensen as the odd CB out presuming that Rudiger recovers from his injury without any problems). So he does look awkward on the ball but he's fast, very physical, great in the air, great in tackling/defending and good enough in passing out of the back. I don't know, perhaps my mind is playing tricks on me but I see a player whom I suspect Lampard rates and appreciates. Overall he's a good defender who arguably better fits into the EPL than Christensen. Also, the young man has a very good attitude on and off the pitch which helps in terms of team chemistry. 

Ham   

On the Magpies' victory with two brothers in the midfield compared to the capitulation last week with only one of the brothers, can I please publicly copywrite the headline;

"One for sorrow, two for joy"©️™️

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Ham said:

On the Magpies' victory with two brothers in the midfield compared to the capitulation last week with only one of the brothers, can I please publicly copywrite the headline;

"One for sorrow, two for joy"©️™️

Ah yes, ITV's version of Blue Peter.  Remember it well.

3 hours ago, MikelBlue said:

I guess I'm one of the few who sees Zouma growing into this squad (which leaves Christensen as the odd CB out presuming that Rudiger recovers from his injury without any problems). So he does look awkward on the ball but he's fast, very physical, great in the air, great in tackling/defending and good enough in passing out of the back. I don't know, perhaps my mind is playing tricks on me but I see a player whom I suspect Lampard rates and appreciates. Overall he's a good defender who arguably better fits into the EPL than Christensen. Also, the young man has a very good attitude on and off the pitch which helps in terms of team chemistry. 

Is he? Great for me is a bit strong. Personally, I am in the Blue Rod camp on Zouma, I just do not see what he brings other than his athleticism. For me, he is one of those players that 'looks a player' but isn't. Another concern I have about him is that I see no progress in his footballing ability since he first appeared 4 years ago. That for me is the biggest concern.

That said, Christensen does have flaws, not least his strength/physicality and his passing at times. However, he still only 23 and I feel that this season is a bit make or break for him too. If he does not solidify his position this season then he could easily be CB4 next season after Rudi, Tomori and a new CB. 

18 minutes ago, King Kante said:

Another concern I have about him is that I see no progress in his footballing ability since he first appeared 4 years ago.

Really?  He looks a much much more all around player now than when he first arrived 5 years ago.  I accept he is not Luiz or Christensen on the ball, but he is not that far off Cahill or Rudiger.  Much better than I expected based on what I had seen and the standards of the teams he had been at.  In fact like Rudiger, his long ball is better than Christensen's.  Very accurate.

So a lot of progress, whether that makes him good enough I don't know.  I suspect it should be Rudiger or Zouma together with Christensen or Tomori.  Do we really want to defend set pieces without both Rudiger and Zouma?

Someone a while back described his over-deliberate style of passing as very much like Desailly, and not nearly as laboured as it first appears.  I see that now.