• Current Donation Goals

Michael Tucker

Southampton 1 Chelsea 4

7 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

Really?  He looks a much much more all around player now than when he first arrived 5 years ago.  I accept he is not Luiz or Christensen on the ball, but he is not that far off Cahill or Rudiger.  Much better than I expected based on what I had seen and the standards of the teams he had been at.  In fact like Rudiger, his long ball is better than Christensen's.  Very accurate.

So a lot of progress, whether that makes him good enough I don't know.  I suspect it should be Rudiger or Zouma together with Christensen or Tomori.  Do we really want to defend set pieces without both Rudiger and Zouma?

Someone a while back described his over-deliberate style of passing as very much like Desailly, and not nearly as laboured as it first appears.  I see that now.

Yeah , just like Desailly , if Desailly was a leaden footed oaf with the positional sense of a wind blown carrier bag . 

11 hours ago, The_Ghost said:

All in all we have performed much better than I would have deared to hope for only a few months ago. It truly is happy days as a Chelsea fan right now. Hudson-Ofoi is yet to come back to full steam, Loftus-Cheek returning and James looking good. 

I can't be as confident as that.  The randomness is still there.  Hudson-Odoi - well frankly he was only ever at full steam for a couple of games before injury. 

Yes Tammy is a big step up at CF on both expectations and last year.  Ditto Mount over expectations and the No8 conundrum from last year.  But is CHO this season any better than Pulisic or Willian or Pedro?  There are really only 2 games to prove it, and half a dozen that don't.  The same applies to Pulisic and to Tomori.  All 3 may have high ceilings, but I don't expect them to make much difference this year.  James may be a great player, but will this season be improved if he replaces Azpi? - not by much.  RLC has been supplanted by Mount and is not getting back into the team in my view.
The return of Kante has happened now.  There is only the return of Rudiger to make a difference. We look a lot better than 2 or 3 weeks ago, but this will be an up and down season.  Sell the ups, buy the dips.

Edited by Droy was my hero

Sciatika   

If we do as well as last season, it would be beyond my wildest expectation. Third in the league and a cup.

2 hours ago, Sciatika said:

If we do as well as last season, it would be beyond my wildest expectation. Third in the league and a cup.

Yes, that would be incredible. However, I am with Droy on this, as great as this is all looking at the moment, we are still in for a lot of ups and downs. My prediction is still 5-7th and no cup unless we finish 3rd and get another draw in the Ropey like we did last season. 7th and Ropey or anything beyond that and I will be doing cartwheels. 

Edited by King Kante

paulw66   
31 minutes ago, King Kante said:

Yes, that would be incredible. However, I am with Droy on this, as great as this is all looking at the moment, we are still in for a lot of ups and downs. My prediction is still 5-7th and no cup unless we finish 3rd and get another draw in the Ropey like we did last season. 7th and Ropey or anything beyond that and I will be doing cartwheels. 

Europa league will be very tough this season. There are two CL groups that will cause a big 3rd place drop out. 

3 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Europa league will be very tough this season. There are two CL groups that will cause a big 3rd place drop out. 

Please no Europa.  I'd much rather go out in the CL last 16 than win old Ropey again.  It is probably almost as much money too with 7 games fewer.
I'd much rather finish fourth than 3rd.

Thank God for the LC this season - we can lose the next game and get out with not much shame.

Leo91   

Huh!? It would be embarrassing to lose to this Utd side twice. Hope the players have an extra yard of graft in them for revenge from opening day. Silverware is important and we should be taking each game as it comes, we have a good sized squad and no reason to not put 100% into everything.

I would love to make it out of the CL group. Last 16 would be a great achievement. Being in the running for top 4 is all I could ask for before the season started and I don't see that changing.

Edited by Leo91
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Droy was my hero said:

Please no Europa.  I'd much rather go out in the CL last 16 than win old Ropey again.  It is probably almost as much money too with 7 games fewer.
I'd much rather finish fourth than 3rd.

Thank God for the LC this season - we can lose the next game and get out with not much shame.

Really? Just out of interest, why do you feel this? For me winning trophies is a habit and for such a young group to do something like that would be an amazing achievement. For me, the Ropey, whilst I call it that, is the 3rd best cup you can win in any given season.

Additionally, extra games exposing the squad to European football is surely better than having less oppotunities?

Lastly, 4th in the league is a big stretch due to the consistency needed and CL football is a very important factor when trying to attract top class players. I suspect almost every player would say they would take a medal and 7th over 4th and no medal. Furthermore, to be able to go out in the market and say that we as a club can still win things even with a ban and a youthful squad would make us more attractive than any other situation barring a CL or PL win. 

1 hour ago, King Kante said:

Really? Just out of interest, why do you feel this? For me winning trophies is a habit and for such a young group to do something like that would be an amazing achievement. For me, the Ropey, whilst I call it that, is the 3rd best cup you can win in any given season.

I think the FA cup is bigger, and it only takes 6 games to win.  The EL takes 15.  And I think we should be concentrating on our league position and beating PL or CL strength sides. 

1 hour ago, King Kante said:

Additionally, extra games exposing the squad to European football is surely better than having less oppotunities?

I don't think we gained anything last year from 14 games against poor competition and one against Arsenal.

We could just play friendlies against Fulham if we wanted that standard of opp.  The only nice thing about the EL is that I can afford the tickets and get them easily up to the QFs.  

nakedcat   
2 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

I don't think we gained anything last year from 14 games against poor competition and one against Arsenal.

One against Arsenal? 14 boring games. One amazing final. Same again this season please. You don't get to choose how the season plans out... ever.