• Current Donation Goals

Michael Tucker

Southampton 1 Chelsea 4

3 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

I think the FA cup is bigger, and it only takes 6 games to win.  The EL takes 15.  And I think we should be concentrating on our league position and beating PL or CL strength sides. 

I don't think we gained anything last year from 14 games against poor competition and one against Arsenal.

We could just play friendlies against Fulham if we wanted that standard of opp.  The only nice thing about the EL is that I can afford the tickets and get them easily up to the QFs.  

1) I beg to differ but appriciate people see things differently. 

2) Problem with the league is the consistency it requires. Personally, I think that thinking the EL is below us, even though it could give us an easier route to the CL next season, is a very dangerous game. CL qualification is worth £60-£70m a season more now.

3) If we go in at the last 32 it is 9 games, which is 7 more than going out in the last 16 in the CL. Personally, I think winning and getting used to winning is better than going out as an also ran. 

39 minutes ago, King Kante said:

3) If we go in at the last 32 it is 9 games, which is 7 more than going out in the last 16 in the CL. Personally, I think winning and getting used to winning is better than going out as an also ran. 

That is one point of view.  Personally I think beating crap teams by 5-2 teaches you absolutely nothing about how to play PL or CL football.  In fact for young players with young egos it is probably harmful.

Plus of course 6 of those extra games mean 6 weeks with no midweek break, which puts an enormous pressure on a young side.

46 minutes ago, King Kante said:

2) Problem with the league is the consistency it requires. Personally, I think that thinking the EL is below us, even though it could give us an easier route to the CL next season, is a very dangerous game. CL qualification is worth £60-£70m a season more now.

I don't think we'll be fourth, and predicted 6th at start of season.  But 4th is a hell of a lot easier than being one of 32 teams in a cup competition.  I really think this EL as an easy route to the CL is a dangerous myth.  A fair few decent clubs got themselves knocked out early.  And we still needed penalties against the Germans to beat Eintracht Frankfurt.  Mostly it is a distraction from achieving what we can in the Prem.

kev61   

At the moment I think we are the third best best team in the league and we can only improve - Utd,Arsenal and spurs look hopeless in comparison - just my assessment which can go horribly wrong.

7 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

That is one point of view.  Personally I think beating crap teams by 5-2 teaches you absolutely nothing about how to play PL or CL football.  In fact for young players with young egos it is probably harmful.

Plus of course 6 of those extra games mean 6 weeks with no midweek break, which puts an enormous pressure on a young side.

I don't think we'll be fourth, and predicted 6th at start of season.  But 4th is a hell of a lot easier than being one of 32 teams in a cup competition.  I really think this EL as an easy route to the CL is a dangerous myth.  A fair few decent clubs got themselves knocked out early.  And we still needed penalties against the Germans to beat Eintracht Frankfurt.  Mostly it is a distraction from achieving what we can in the Prem.

It really is and doing it once was nice, chances of it  happening again are slim. Winning it from the beginning is one thing, winning it after being knocked out of the Champions league, where you really want to be playing your football, is another.

Also I'm not sure I can see the point in winning a second rate competition to enter the top competition, only to get knocked out and want to re enter the same competition we only want to win to get back to the one we just got knocked out of.

It was good last year to win it, we knew we were going to be in it from the beginning of the season. Participating in it this year would be a failure and a huge come down.

paulw66   
1 hour ago, Martin1905 said:

It really is and doing it once was nice, chances of it  happening again are slim. Winning it from the beginning is one thing, winning it after being knocked out of the Champions league, where you really want to be playing your football, is another.

Also I'm not sure I can see the point in winning a second rate competition to enter the top competition, only to get knocked out and want to re enter the same competition we only want to win to get back to the one we just got knocked out of.

It was good last year to win it, we knew we were going to be in it from the beginning of the season. Participating in it this year would be a failure and a huge come down.

Yup. Hope we come 1st, 2nd or 4th in the CL group. 

The EL only takes one poor performance and all over. This year we could play Inter or RB Leipzig as a CL dropout. Not easy, and as DWMH points out, we were a shoot out away from losing the semi-final. 

Would much rather we focus on beatng the bottom 12 / 13 PL clubs, which having midweeks off will give us a much better chance of doing. 

Blue Rod   
15 hours ago, kev61 said:

At the moment I think we are the third best best team in the league and we can only improve - Utd,Arsenal and spurs look hopeless in comparison - just my assessment which can go horribly wrong.

I'm with you on this, Kev. 3rd position is my target, and a realistic one. At this moment, and unless something big happens at Spurs and Arsenal, I dont see why we should aim for less.

If the senior players  have now decided to commit, after the rumoured meeting with Frankie and Jody, we should gradually find our place in the table. Performances like the one on Sunday from Willian can only help the youngsters step up to another level. 

kev61   
9 hours ago, Blue Rod said:

I'm with you on this, Kev. 3rd position is my target, and a realistic one. At this moment, and unless something big happens at Spurs and Arsenal, I dont see why we should aim for less.

If the senior players  have now decided to commit, after the rumoured meeting with Frankie and Jody, we should gradually find our place in the table. Performances like the one on Sunday from Willian can only help the youngsters step up to another level. 

I wonder have we started a trend that others will follow - stop paying silly money for below average players when you might have something special under your nose.Marcus Rashford only got a chance at utd because they had an injury list as long as your arm.

The trend now is managers are playing musical chairs - sacked if things are going wrong and re - hired soon after by someone else - these multi million pound players get bored with the same narrative,imo that's what's happening to spurs.

nothing wrong in sacking managers early in today's football, but get as much as you can out of what you have in your ranks.

Edited by kev61

paulw66   
4 hours ago, kev61 said:

I wonder have we started a trend that others will follow - stop paying silly money for below average players when you might have something special under your nose.Marcus Rashford only got a chance at utd because they had an injury list as long as your arm.

Not every club has a Youth Team that won 3 back to back youth cups, plus the youth champions league. 

The notion that it is as simple as just, "give the youngsters a chance" is being disingenuous to the quality of player we have.  

kev61   
1 hour ago, paulw66 said:

Not every club has a Youth Team that won 3 back to back youth cups, plus the youth champions league. 

The notion that it is as simple as just, "give the youngsters a chance" is being disingenuous to the quality of player we have.  

You miss the point - for example we paid 50 mil for pulisic when we have already have mount - so yes "give the youngsters a chance" is pertinent.

34 minutes ago, kev61 said:

You miss the point - for example we paid 50 mil for pulisic when we have already have mount - so yes "give the youngsters a chance" is pertinent.

We would have committed to buy Pulisic in about November 2018, when Mount had barely started impressing in the Championship and CHO hadn't started a game for us.  And when we would have known Hazard was likely to leave and that we possibly faced a transfer ban.

To say "we already have mount" is talking about a different era.