• Current Donation Goals

Sciatika   

We have to have a squad capable of playing about 60 games a season (38+8+5+5). I don't imagine that anyone will play more than half of those when you take into account illness, injuries, absence due to loss of form and so on. We have 120 starting places and five AMs. We will need all five attacking midfielders (Mount, Pusilic, Willian, Pedro, Hudson-Odoi) at different times in the season. Could we have brought back more loanees and saved the money we spent on Pusilic? Maybe, but we could not possibly know at that time. Personally, I think there is a very good player inside Pusilic and I think he will turn out to be a very good investment.

Blue Rod   
7 hours ago, paulw66 said:

Not every club has a Youth Team that won 3 back to back youth cups, plus the youth champions league. 

The notion that it is as simple as just, "give the youngsters a chance" is being disingenuous to the quality of player we have.  

They all seem to be able to find £50m for an average player but can't find the money to set up a decent youth system. 

Of course every single PL club can set up a youth system that produces at least a couple of players each season to suit their level, from title challengers to relegation scrappers. First they have to hire and back a manager who is interested in youth and confident in his coaching. Part of the reason managers go for experienced players is they are  not sure they can train and nurture one. The other reason is they are slave to agents whom they believe got them the job.

The next thing they must do is get rid of pushy agents. They are the people who stand to again most from big money transfers. If agents had their way, youth systems would be restricted to Conference.

I reckon  every second or third transfer of mature player ends up a disappointment or flop. If you introduce 2 or 3 players from your youth system each season, I can't see how you'd do worse than that. 

Blue Rod   
13 hours ago, Sciatika said:

Could we have brought back more loanees and saved the money we spent on Pusilic? Maybe, but we could not possibly know at that time. Personally, I think there is a very good player inside Pusilic and I think he will turn out to be a very good investment.

It was during the CHO - Sarri debacle that I first thought Pulisic could turn out to be surplus. And Mount wasn't even on my mind at the time. Many European pundits were writing how we could buy Pulisic and yet not find CHO good enough at least to come on as sub. Their positions are different but I got the gist of their comments 

In think we can and should play him, unless what he shows is training is a lot worse than what he does when he comes on. Because the few minutes I have seen him play, he has in total been more effective than Pedro, imho.

kev61   
18 hours ago, paulw66 said:

Not every club has a Youth Team that won 3 back to back youth cups, plus the youth champions league. 

The notion that it is as simple as just, "give the youngsters a chance" is being disingenuous to the quality of player we have.  

If you think there might be a pound under the seettee do you try and find it or do you get rid of the settee?

Willian and Pedro are 31 and 32. We don't just need Pulisic, we need another 2 AM's on top of that. He has been good so far. There seems to be a lot of noise about discontent all stemming from angry american fans forgetting he's 20 years old and only just moved to a new country / faster league. To say we shouldn't buy players because xyz is in the youth team will never work. The youngsters have proven they will force their way in if good enough. 

Jasonb   
On 12/10/2019 at 2:49 PM, Willian Dollar Baby said:

Willian and Pedro are 31 and 32. We don't just need Pulisic, we need another 2 AM's on top of that. He has been good so far. There seems to be a lot of noise about discontent all stemming from angry american fans forgetting he's 20 years old and only just moved to a new country / faster league. To say we shouldn't buy players because xyz is in the youth team will never work. The youngsters have proven they will force their way in if good enough. 

I think Pulisic is having an impact from the bench though he might or might not make it here.

At 32 and not playing regularly I think it might be the time to say farewell to Pedro.

Pulisic is the US captain they are bound to make a noise yet it is up to the player to make a move if he is not happy.