• Current Donation Goals

bONes   
16 hours ago, MikelBlue said:

Really? I saw the defender slightly clip CHO’s right ankle either way it sure wasn’t ‘clear and obvious’ error so why was the ref decision overturned?

Exactly my thoughts.

if ref has good view and thinks it was a pen then it is, unless its obvious error. Its so hard to tell from those video angles in SLOW MOTION if that was a pen.

id argue there was contact and it was enought to prevent shooting which is a pen and ref was confident about giving it.

38 minutes ago, Ham said:

Secondly, don't pretend that Jorginho was brilliant in every game last season and that only you and a select few on here saw it.  Emperor's new clothes.

I'm pretty sure I've never said anything remotely like that. 

Against good opposition he was justifiably criticised last season. He got bullied time and time again. 

Justifiably criticised? Yeah ok. 

Ther is justifiable criticism and then there is what Jorginho got last season. 

Many who started to criticise him earlier last season didn't have an epiphany and realise we were wrong all along, we saw an improvement in him and warmed to him. Two different things.

Yet the criticism got worse and the booing got louder and louder.

Finally, who was calling for Kovacic to be gone? 

There was an awful lot who didn't want him playing last season and then didn't want us to sign him this summer. An awful lot.

Ham   
32 minutes ago, Martin1905 said:

I'm pretty sure I've never said anything remotely like that. 

Justifiably criticised? Yeah ok. 

Ther is justifiable criticism and then there is what Jorginho got last season. 

Yet the criticism got worse and the booing got louder and louder.

There was an awful lot who didn't want him playing last season and then didn't want us to sign him this summer. An awful lot.

He got justifiable criticism on here up to a point with the exception of one poster who continually made it personal.

Booing in the ground had nothing to do with criticism on here. I'm pretty sure it's unanimous on here that you don't boo your own players.

I'm pretty sure the booing got less and less as the season went on and not the other way. 

The period where we were shipping 10 goals in 2 games was the crescendo.

Towards the end of the season our form improved, we ended up 3rd and win the EL. 

Oh, and on Kovacic, I've always liked him. Can't speak for others. 

Edited by Ham
Kova

2 hours ago, Martin1905 said:

Some people have to have something to moan about.

Some people like to be argumentative. 

This forum has lived on people moaning and arguing for ever.

Just look at last year and Jorginho. A LOT of people got him dreadfully wrong and spent a whole year trying to argue their point. 

If all we've got to moan about this year is Kepa then it says an awful lot.

For what its worth I was there yesterday and absolutely amazed to see any criticism aimed at Kepa for either goal. Maybe I shouldn't be amazed, it appears Kepa will be this years Jorginho. 

On the game itself, I'll keep it simple. It was ALL about Kovacic and Jorginho, some irony in that which I find a little amusing, but they completely and utterly dominated the game. Controlled it from start to finish. They are becoming a serious partnership.  If most on here had their way neither would be playing for us now which puts the Kepa criticism into perspective. 

While youre at it Martin why not have a pop at the people who wrote Kovacic off last season because he got some serious stick and was regularly being told to feck off back to Madrid.  Or Willian who has played really well of late but was still getting stick on here up to the moment he scored a goal, or Dave who gets nasty stick when he had a drop in form, or Barcley who just gets nasty stick full stop. New player like Zouma got unnecessary stick earlier this season but now he is seen as a potential number one choice. Regards Keppa, I'm personally not 100% convinced ....he's good at some things and not so good at others. He does not command his 6 yard box and many of our defensive problems stem from that. 

So with regard to Jorhinho, it is my opinion that he was very poor far too often last season, sometimes shockingly so. This season he's playing vety well although games like Norwich were a throwback to last season.  But make no mistake, the much criticised Kova is the one playing out of his skin right now. 

We all have our opinions Martin. Remember those who claimed hiring Lampard was a joke decision....if your looking for egg on face there's a half a dozen large organic ones right there. But for now after 10 games why don't we just rejoice at what we are witnessing. Top 4 , 2 points behind City and top of our CL group. Whats there to moan about? 

Ham   
49 minutes ago, bONes said:

Exactly my thoughts.

if ref has good view and thinks it was a pen then it is, unless its obvious error. Its so hard to tell from those video angles in SLOW MOTION if that was a pen.

id argue there was contact and it was enought to prevent shooting which is a pen and ref was confident about giving it.

In addition to the possible touch of boots (can't be 100% sure) he was also pushed in the back.

Hardly a clear and obvious error.

3Sphinx   
On 26/10/2019 at 7:03 PM, Ham said:

Hi.  Hope you enjoy the visit.

The turnstiles can get a bit busy just before kick off because fans over here arrive at the last minute.

There are bars inside of course so arrive as early as you like. To avoid missing kick off get there no later than 15 minutes before.

Get to the ticket office about an hour before kick off to avoid being held up at the last minute. 

On 26/10/2019 at 9:50 PM, NoblyBobly said:

If its your first time get in there early and soak it all up. The game against the hammers should be a great atmos and as for the Villa game.... That will also be a bit special as its JTs emotional return to the bridge . How weird is it going to be with him and Lampard in opposite boxes pitting wits against each other. 

Thanks so much!

1 hour ago, Ham said:

He got justifiable criticism on here up to a point with the exception of one poster who continually made it personal.

Booing in the ground had nothing to do with criticism on here. I'm pretty sure it's unanimous on here that you don't boo your own players.

I'm pretty sure the booing got less and less as the season went on and not the other way. 

The period where we were shipping 10 goals in 2 games was the crescendo.

Towards the end of the season our form improved, we ended up 3rd and win the EL. 

Oh, and on Kovacic, I've always liked him. Can't speak for others. 

1 hour ago, NoblyBobly said:

While youre at it Martin why not have a pop at the people who wrote Kovacic off last season because he got some serious stick and was regularly being told to feck off back to Madrid.  Or Willian who has played really well of late but was still getting stick on here up to the moment he scored a goal, or Dave who gets nasty stick when he had a drop in form, or Barcley who just gets nasty stick full stop. New player like Zouma got unnecessary stick earlier this season but now he is seen as a potential number one choice. Regards Keppa, I'm personally not 100% convinced ....he's good at some things and not so good at others. He does not command his 6 yard box and many of our defensive problems stem from that. 

So with regard to Jorhinho, it is my opinion that he was very poor far too often last season, sometimes shockingly so. This season he's playing vety well although games like Norwich were a throwback to last season.  But make no mistake, the much criticised Kova is the one playing out of his skin right now. 

We all have our opinions Martin. Remember those who claimed hiring Lampard was a joke decision....if your looking for egg on face there's a half a dozen large organic ones right there. But for now after 10 games why don't we just rejoice at what we are witnessing. Top 4 , 2 points behind City and top of our CL group. Whats there to moan about? 

The thing is , you both raise valid points, as does Martin with his original post.

The problem is, so many fans in general are incapable of rational thinking. Far too much knee jerk and irritational thinking in the moment. We often hear about ‘passion’ of football fans, I hate that word because all it does is drag down debate to the lowest form and is used as an excuse for people to talk shyte to be honest.

It’s a good reason why the match day forum is a good place to avoid. I actually think we debate quite intelligently on this site on the the whole, certainly compared with many other fans and forums.

Just adding my thoughts on this, purely because I have an obsessive hate of knee jerk football fan reactions. This is on now way a dig at any of you guys, I was not around on the site last year really, so I have no idea of posts made by any of you on these subjects.

4 hours ago, King Kante said:

Well it was pretty clear 18 months prior to his leaving that TC was off, (NO) anything else was just fanciful thinking (NO) . How we then ended up with Kepa at the figures outlined means one of the follow three: a) The club thought that he was already the best keeper in the world or close to it,(NO) b) he was a panic buy as the club thought they could play hardball with TC and he wasn't having it (perhaps) c) TC is an incrediably good liar and made the board believe he would stay, even though everything he said and did in public said the opposite (NO)

12 hours ago, chelboy said:

I think most people here think Kepa is an upgrade, so I'm not sure why you think Courtois somehow cheated the club.

And I certainly doubt that Kepa was actually available for £18m in January.  Pre-contracts, agent's demands, all kinds of things mean what one person says was possible is not a real opportunity.  Kind of like the bloke that said he had a deal to buy John Terry.

2 hours ago, Ham said:

Secondly, don't pretend that Jorginho was brilliant in every game last season and that only you and a select few on here saw it.  Emperor's new clothes.

Pretty sure you can go through Martin1905's posts all last year (or mine or quite a few) and find nothing but praise for Jorginho.  Indeed if you think back to the first 6 games or so he was a monster player getting praise from everyone.

1 hour ago, Ham said:

He really didn't.  He got routinely slagged off for good games.
It's not a big deal, it happens to a lot of players on here.  

1 hour ago, NoblyBobly said:

While youre at it Martin why not have a pop at the people who wrote Kovacic off last season because he got some serious stick and was regularly being told to feck off back to Madrid.  Or Willian who has played really well of late but was still getting stick on here up to the moment he scored a goal, or Dave who gets nasty stick when he had a drop in form, or Barcley who just gets nasty stick full stop.

Like I said a lot.

1 hour ago, Ham said:

In addition to the possible touch of boots (can't be 100% sure) he was also pushed in the back.

Hardly a clear and obvious error.

Not quite sure how the procedure goes, but if the Pen was given for a Tarkowski foul, then it was a clear and obvious error.  
And it was not a clear and obvious error to not give a pen for the Lowton push and possible contact.

So I can see a way that the pen got overturned.  On the other hand the yellow card makes no sense whatsoever.  Did he dive with no contact - clearly no.

chelboy   

I have often defended Kepa in the past on here but I still stand by that he should have saved the first shot. It is a good shot but with better foot work he saves that imo.