• Current Donation Goals

1 minute ago, NoblyBobly said:

And the difference between last season and this? Well without wishing to state the bleedin' obvious , he made a great assist today. Last season he made none ( the only regular Chelsea player not to do so) so there's a big plus for starters.  Its early days tbh but if you really can't spot a difference between some of last seasons poor\ awful performances in midfield and today's ( penalty asside) then no debate between you and I on the subject is worthwhile having. 

Indeed - but then you seem to have a whole stack of personal issues with last team's players and manager.

2 minutes ago, NoblyBobly said:

Personally I 'm so pleased Sarri left and so pleased Lampard is improving Jorge performances to a good consistent level

I was going to take the Sarri to Lampard theme up elsewhere, but why are you contrasting Lampard with Sarri?

To me there is a great deal of continuation from Sarri to Lampard, and all in great contrast with the laboured football of Conte without Costa.  Hey Bats even scored a Costa like goal mid-week.  The ball gets moved about a lot lot faster (thanks Jorgi) and dozens of barely adequate players have been moved on by both managers leaving us with a core of talent and or potential with less and less fewer dead wood.

Anyone would think there was a board with a long term plan.

2 hours ago, The_Ghost said:

You are stretching out the other teams defensive set-up and thereby creating a lot more space. 

Something we’ve done very well this game. 

Point well made except for this particular occasion where they ridiculously insisted on passing out of our goal line. That was unnecessary and nearly cost us 2 points in a game he otherwise totally dominated  

3 hours ago, chelboy said:

The right hand side on the ball was poor. Can’t count the number of times they gave it away under no pressure. We should only focus passing out the back from the left. 

For now. I suspect that if our Captain wasn’t Azpil, we’d likely have seen more of James. Anyway, it’s only a matter of time. 

Frank Lampard: Chelsea manager claims 'we're in really dangerous place' with VAR

By Alistair Magowan

Chelsea boss Frank Lampard has warned that the current use of VAR could be "dangerous" for the Premier League.

Guidance from the Premier League at the start of the season said that it would only be used for "clear and obvious" errors by on-field referees. 

But when Watford were awarded a penalty via VAR after Gerard Deulofeu was tripped by Jorginho, Lampard said he was "so, so surprised".

"We're not in a great place with it," he said after Chelsea's 2-1 win. 

"Any [decision] that takes that long means they aren't sure, so why aren't we using screens on side of pitch?

"I know [using screens] is a bit contentious, I know it could mean every fan might call for it and there might pressure on the referees. 

"But if we are saying they are grey areas and we are overturning decisions because one referee somewhere else thinks it was more of a penalty than the referee on the pitch, then I think we are in a really dangerous place. 

"You're going to be tossing a coin every week."

Watford may feel they deserved a decision in their favour after being denied a penalty, which was reviewed by VAR, in a 1-1 draw with Tottenham last month. Last weekend, VAR awarded a penalty in the Premier League for the first time, when Everton's Michael Keane was adjudged to have fouled Brighton's Aaron Connolly in a 3-2 win for the Seagulls. 

It was a decision that was widely criticised. 

After VAR overruled referee Anthony Taylor at Vicarage Road on Saturday, Lampard felt there had been a change in policy despite receiving guidance at a meeting earlier this week.

"I have to be careful but last week we saw a clear change in VAR with penalties getting overturned," Lampard said.

"I was at a managers' meeting in the week and we spoke a lot about it and the absolute consensus from managers, from referees and from the Premier League was that decisions were not going to get overturned unless they were absolutely clear and obvious or VAR saw something that the referee on the pitch didn't see. 

"[In Jorginho's case] it didn't, it nowhere near shows that. The longer it took the more worried I got and I'm so, so surprised after the meeting on Thursday to then have that decision today."

paulw66   
2 hours ago, NoblyBobly said:

And of course if someone was a Sarri fan then automatically and by default they were a Jorge fan. 

And visa versa.... Those who hated Sarri, and by extension, Jorginho, are perhaps having to rethink now that he continues to star under SFL.

Jorginho made plenty of those passes last season. The main difference is that the chance is taken. If you want a carbon copy, go back to Everton or Fulham away when he sent Higuain through both times and the finish was wanting. 

I don't see a player playing any different, we just have a centre forward who is sticking the ball away. 

22 minutes ago, Michael Tucker said:

Frank Lampard: Chelsea manager claims 'we're in really dangerous place' with VAR

By Alistair Magowan

Chelsea boss Frank Lampard has warned that the current use of VAR could be "dangerous" for the Premier League.

Guidance from the Premier League at the start of the season said that it would only be used for "clear and obvious" errors by on-field referees. 

But when Watford were awarded a penalty via VAR after Gerard Deulofeu was tripped by Jorginho, Lampard said he was "so, so surprised".

"We're not in a great place with it," he said after Chelsea's 2-1 win. 

"Any [decision] that takes that long means they aren't sure, so why aren't we using screens on side of pitch?

"I know [using screens] is a bit contentious, I know it could mean every fan might call for it and there might pressure on the referees. 

"But if we are saying they are grey areas and we are overturning decisions because one referee somewhere else thinks it was more of a penalty than the referee on the pitch, then I think we are in a really dangerous place. 

"You're going to be tossing a coin every week."

Watford may feel they deserved a decision in their favour after being denied a penalty, which was reviewed by VAR, in a 1-1 draw with Tottenham last month. Last weekend, VAR awarded a penalty in the Premier League for the first time, when Everton's Michael Keane was adjudged to have fouled Brighton's Aaron Connolly in a 3-2 win for the Seagulls. 

It was a decision that was widely criticised. 

After VAR overruled referee Anthony Taylor at Vicarage Road on Saturday, Lampard felt there had been a change in policy despite receiving guidance at a meeting earlier this week.

"I have to be careful but last week we saw a clear change in VAR with penalties getting overturned," Lampard said.

"I was at a managers' meeting in the week and we spoke a lot about it and the absolute consensus from managers, from referees and from the Premier League was that decisions were not going to get overturned unless they were absolutely clear and obvious or VAR saw something that the referee on the pitch didn't see. 

"[In Jorginho's case] it didn't, it nowhere near shows that. The longer it took the more worried I got and I'm so, so surprised after the meeting on Thursday to then have that decision today."

Good to see Lampard has put them on notice before their obvious bias gets beyond redemption. Twice now in successive league games involving Chelsea they’ve used VAR to overrule the refs PK decision to the detriment of Chelsea. The rule is you don’t overrule unless the ref made an obvious and clear error. This definition doesn’t leave room for grey area interpretations. They need to get it right asap. 

paulw66   
6 minutes ago, MikelBlue said:

Good to see Lampard has put them on notice before their obvious bias gets beyond redemption. Twice now in successive league games involving Chelsea they’ve used VAR to overrule the refs PK decision to the detriment of Chelsea. The rule is you don’t overrule unless the ref made an obvious and clear error. This definition doesn’t leave room for grey area interpretations. They need to get it right asap. 

The sooner we all accept we're getting bummed by VAR every week, the quicker we can begin to accept it.

If we get top 4 it will be an astonishing achievement , not because we lost Hazard and have a transfer ban, but because we have anti Chelsea technology doing it's thing week in, week out 

VAR. Not even funny. It’s actually a lot, lot worse than when the refs were just either hopeless or corrupt. Literally destroying what is left of the game week on week. 

Kezza   

How does var work? Isn't it suppose to be the referee looking at the var replays and making his own judgement? It seems like however we are leaving the decision to the robot? Are they that stupid?

Even if VAR makes a call the referees judgement finally upon consulting should take precedent? Or are referees blindly following whatever var spits at them? What a stupid system. That penalty. The ball was out of reach of Deulefeu as he kicked it away. He could have stayed on foot in his last step but took a tumble. He should be booked. VAR is not intelligent enough to judge this as a whole in the context of the situation. It only looks at contact and awards it. But referees make it worse as they give up their judgement to machines. So so stupid.

Edited by Kezza

6 minutes ago, Kezza said:

How does var work? Isn't it suppose to be the referee looking at the var replays and making his own judgement? It seems like however we are leaving the decision to the robot? Are they that stupid?

1.  I don't think there are clear rules, just that apologists for VAR claim that there are.
2.  PMGO is a hierarchy, with big refs and little refs.  It seems that the big refs sit in the TV can, and the ones running around daren't challenge them.
3.  It is not intended to correct errors by refs on the pitch.  It is intended to divert attention from errors.
4.  If anyone gave a flying fxxx about reffing and football (and the millions that actually play the game), they'd make sure that dangerous play was automatically reviewed by VAR and re-reviewed post match, irrespective of whether a ref looked at it and got it wrong or not.*

*The argument against is that reviewing decisions is unfair because it means players get judged twice.  Bogus in itself but it disappears if yellow cards can be overturned post match as well.