• Current Donation Goals

The 2019/20 Premier League season will be the first to feature the Video Assistant Referee (VAR) after the clubs voted unanimously in November 2018 to introduce the system.

All 380 Premier League fixtures will have a VAR, who is constantly monitoring the match but will be used only for "clear and obvious errors" or "serious missed incidents" in four match-changing situations:

Goals
Penalty decisions
Direct red card incidents
Mistaken identity

The final decision will always be taken by the on-field referee. 

VAR will not achieve 100 per cent accuracy, but will positively influence decision-making and lead to more correct, and fairer, judgments.

In the Premier League, there will be a high bar for VAR intervention on subjective decisions to maintain the pace and intensity of the matches.

Factual decisions, such as offside or if a foul was committed inside or outside the penalty area, will not be subject to the "clear and obvious error" test.  

26 minutes ago, Michael Tucker said:

In the Premier League, there will be a high bar for VAR intervention on subjective decisions to maintain the pace and intensity of the matches.

Apparently the bar has been lowered over the last few weeks after complaints that VAR hadn’t overruled any ref: that complaint was loudest when VAR didn’t overrule the ManU goal against Liverpool due to the foul that sprung the counter. Since the. We’ve been on the receiving end of subsequent reversals. Interesting. 

Both Azpi (who can't pass the ball unless it's backwards to zouma) and Willian (who keeps running the ball back into trouble, and then feigning injury when giving the ball away) need to be dropped.

willian embarrassed himself and nearly cost us at the end when under no pressure gave the ball away then fell on the floor and stayed down rolled off the pitch and rolled back on while the game went on around him.

He was finally subbed and ran off not injured

2 minutes ago, Never happy said:

Both Azpi (who can't pass the ball unless it's backwards to zouma) and Willian (who keeps running the ball back into trouble, and then feigning injury when giving the ball away) need to be dropped.

willian embarrassed himself and nearly cost us at the end when under no pressure gave the ball away then fell on the floor and stayed down rolled off the pitch and rolled back on while the game went on around him.

He was finally subbed and ran off not injured

My blood pressure reached untold levels at this point. What a stressful game. 

I guess it’s better than the pure apathy of the previous season. 

33 minutes ago, MikelBlue said:

Apparently the bar has been lowered over the last few weeks after complaints that VAR hadn’t overruled any ref: that complaint was loudest when VAR didn’t overrule the ManU goal against Liverpool due to the foul that sprung the counter. Since the. We’ve been on the receiving end of subsequent reversals. Interesting. 

i think that what is abundantly clear from a lot of the comments/opinions being expressed on here, is that whichever way the refs go, they can't really win. I wonder if all the posts on VAR, on all the fan sites out there, across all the clubs, say pretty much the same thing/take the same view? My guess is, that they do. 

Var was always a careful what you wish for. I guess fans thought it would clear up all the perceived injustices their team whilst forgetting the opersition fans were thinking the same.

I'm not upset by the penalty as it was a clear foul. My main gripe was the poor thinking behind what led to it. Pussyfooting around there in the box  instead of clearing the ball was stupidity and an invite to the situation which led to the penalty.

That clip needs to be replayed many times in training school to teach them it's not big and it's not clever.

21 minutes ago, r.bartlett said:

Var was always a careful what you wish for. I guess fans thought it would clear up all the perceived injustices their team whilst forgetting the opersition fans were thinking the same.

I'm not upset by the penalty as it was a clear foul. My main gripe was the poor thinking behind what led to it. Pussyfooting around there in the box  instead of clearing the ball was stupidity and an invite to the situation which led to the penalty.

That clip needs to be replayed many times in training school to teach them it's not big and it's not clever.

There was an element of overplaying it for the penalty. However, we have to accept these situations will occur as this is the football Lamps wants us to play and is trying install.

Its this same philosophy of football that has just produced a dominant and fantastic performance to get the win. It’s also this style of football that has clearly been at the core of winning so many matches recently.

I remember something Brendan Rodgers said in his early PL days with as Swansea manager. To paraphrase, it was along the lines of if our defenders make a mistake in possession leading to a goal then fans should blame me. They are following my instructions and fans need to see the bigger picture that this philosophy will bring.

Personally speaking, we have been a joy to watch this season . Some of the football is producing beaming smiles across my face. So complacency is frustrating and still avoidable, but we need to continue to take risks to implement this style properly.

As for the penalty, it’s never a penalty or foul for me. It’s a nothing moment, if ref gives it based on his call then fair enough. To give that off the back of VAR review is just a joke.

Watched the first 20 minutes live, then went off to the fireworks and kept up to date via Twitter and Sky Sports App and have just watched MOTD, so I have quite limited views on yesterday's game, unfortunately, but from the things I've seen...

- Jorginho's pass for the Tammy goal was absolutely sublime and the finish was pretty decent too. 

- Pulisic looking really good in last few appearances and that continued yesterday

- Nice to have Emerson back!

- VAR, well what a joke. Yes, there is contact, but contact does not mean a foul - if that's a foul, then games are going to get very stop-start from now on. Add to that, the penalty we got overturned and then CHO booked for diving... makes absolutely NO sense. The PL should have a look at how rugby do it and take note 

- Very impressed with us this season and we're still quite nicely under the radar because 'we're just kids'. 4th with a cushion now, which is fantastic!

11 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

Indeed - but then you seem to have a whole stack of personal issues with last team's players and manager.

I was going to take the Sarri to Lampard theme up elsewhere, but why are you contrasting Lampard with Sarri?

1) Not really personal issues, more observations. A personal issue would be caused because Sarri ran over my dog or Jorginho slept with my wife. An observation is when you look at something in a non judgemental way and come to a conclusion. I particularly observed that we had one player last year who scored and assisted about 50% of our goals. That observation led me to the conclusion that without that player we would have been up a mucky creek without a paddle. I expect you're " observations" will be different. Like I say not really worth discussing.

2) I look forward to it. But why shouldn't I contrast them ? Or is that going to be your job? I'll take my place in the queue.

Edited by NoblyBobly

10 hours ago, paulw66 said:

And visa versa.... Those who hated Sarri, and by extension, Jorginho, are perhaps having to rethink now that he continues to star under SFL.

Jorginho made plenty of those passes last season. The main difference is that the chance is taken. If you want a carbon copy, go back to Everton or Fulham away when he sent Higuain through both times and the finish was wanting. 

I don't see a player playing any different, we just have a centre forward who is sticking the ball away. 

Then I think you would have to go to a complete neutral and ask if they see a difference in performances from last season to this. I have certainly heard commentators on the game ( who I believe are neutral) saying that for whatever reason , ( finally settled into pace and style of premiership, being played in a different way, different system....whatever) his performances thus far have greatly improved. 

Was Higuain rubbish? Yes. Did he blow any chances set up by Jorge? Probably. I dare say it wasn't only Jorges chances he blew. But who brought Higuain in ? Who kept Morata for yet another half the season of rubbish? Who could have brought Abraham back in January ( or someone better) and given Jorge a better striker to work with?  

I'm not saying Jorges job was only setting up goals but it is a fairly important part of his game together with chipping in with a goal now and then.  Paul you cannot escape the fact that he was the only Chelsea player last season not to make an assist. Add to that stat that he touched the ball more than any other player and completed a record number of passes and it's fair to say there was a problem. His goal tally was also very poor...one goal from open play was it?

Yesterday he got his first assist in a Chelsea shirt and I hope it's the first of many, but to add perspective Hudson Odoi has had more assists this season. Tbh I see more improvement in his defensive play than offensive but big improvement there is. 

But I'll concede something. You may have spotted something in him last season that others didn't. I certainly didn't. But likewise I would argue that not being able to see some of his really really poor performances last season is not explainable. At certain points I saw no way forward for him. But then I suppose it was a rollercoaster season of high and lows, rises and dips in team and individual form, some bad blood and ill feeling mixed in, some grumpy players, a grumpy coach  some grumpy fans and high emotions. Only Hazard was spectacular and consistent from start to finish and needed every bit of it. 

Everything feels different this season. Ask Jorges and he'll tell you. 

Edited by NoblyBobly