• Current Donation Goals

Just now, JaneB said:

He was as inspiring as a dead tortoise

To you - I get that.  (Frankly I found him more interesting to listen to than SFL who I find glib, but I really don't think it matters).
They were a poor squad last year with a lot of rubbish players.  3rd place, LC final and EL winners suggest they really were pretty well motivated.

2 minutes ago, JaneB said:

Of course you don't because Frank isn't playing him.  I like Giroud but he's fallen behind Tammy and Pulisic.  Oh don't be ridiculous, you're picking holes.  Are you including the young players he's now playing in abundance?  What about Kova and Jorginho?  What about Emerson and Bats?  Technically Pulisic wasn't here last season but still, look at him flying.  

Well of course I am excluding the players not here last year - how else could we do a comparison.  Nor am I including the players that were here last year - how would Frank be getting on with Drinkwater, Higuain or Luiz?  Not so well I guess.  
Kova and Jorginho are the same as last year - if you didn't spot that you were listening to the media too much.
Emerson got over injury and looked like replacing Alonso last season - exactly the same as this.  None of the others were here.
And Pulisic has flown in one or two games, certainly not often.

6 minutes ago, JaneB said:

There is so much cart before the horse going on here - we like Frank so what he is doing must be the reason we like him.

What does that last sentence even mean?  And you obviously don't like him as much as your beloved Sarri

It means that it is fine to have favourite managers.  But some here seem obsessed on making up reasons to prove their "favouritism" is well grounded.  It really is resist applied to football.

8 minutes ago, JaneB said:

I believe he stopped weight training for a start.  Someone who used to inhabit these forums and is a professional who knows about these things told me that was not a good or wise thing to do and I respect his opinion. 

There are plenty of opinions about weight training.  I recall often being told what a Monster Lukaku was (meant in a good way apparently).
I think you have as much chance of getting a fair and unbiased opinion on weight training as on Brexit.
Sarri's opinions on Weight training (and zonal marking) are legitimate.  So are other opinions.

I found this - opinions vary:  https://trainingground.guru/articles/maurizio-sarri-chelsea-players-dont-do-weights

chara   

Hmm..weights...always felt that weights could be overdone leading to "musclebound" in the less careful users but would hope top fitness coaches would keep that controlled...toned not muscled was my focus..when it was relevant!..long time ago!!!

8 hours ago, paulw66 said:

Of course rather than people just admitting they were wrong along about him, it is much easier to create this fantasy where SFL has turned up, waved a magic wand and turned a cr@p 27 year old footballer into a good one.

Can't wait to see what he'll do with Drinkwater and Bakayoko.

Well that's just not true because if Frank had a magic wand he would have waved over Jorge during the close season and out would have popped a great player. As far as I'm concerned the improvement started relatively recently and I was quite critical or Jorge in early games this season ( United and Norwich spring to mind  ) , in fact I remember saying to someone around that time( it may have been you) that I would like nothing better than to claim that FL had achieved what Sarri couldn't, but I honestly couldn't see any difference from some of last season's displays. 

The fact is during recent games , in my eyes at least, he seems ever more composed, more aware and defensively much more on it. If he can keep it up and add assists and the odd goal then fabulous. Maybe it's too easy to say it's all down to Lampard, maybe it's  down to Jorghinho himself , maybe it's a bit of both. He certainly seemed very keen to play for Lampard and never expressed a desire to join Sarri in Italy. I've nothing against him whatsoever. He seems a nice lad with his head screwed on and no airs and graces....And more importantly wants to play for Chelsea. We can differ until the cows come home on what he was like last season but it's not going to change my opinion on that because I can rewatch all the games and I will still come to the same conclusion. I saw him then and I see him now. 

5 hours ago, LeBoeufsGolfBall said:

Yes I would say what Sarri implemented has made life easier for Frank.

Whilst we are on the subject of kidding ourselves though. Spurs collapsed in final third of the season, we finised 1pt ahead of them. Man Utd were dreadful and we won 2 games more than them. Arsenal were a mess in second half of the season, we finished 2pts ahead of them.

Yes we came 3rd, by default of the teams around us being dreadful and completely collapsing during the final 2 months of the season and we still only scraped it in terms of point difference between 3rd and 5th. Utd lost majority of their final games winning 1 in 7 and were still only 6 pts back.

I'm not trying to discredit Sarri, he did an ok job. I think he is a decent manager, but I am delighted he is gone. Some of the credit he has received in some areas is just bizarre though, it reminds me of how the press lauded Benitez spell here. The reality is Benitez did an ok job, it was made to look better by a Europa League win. Very similar to Sarri, an OK job and nothing better than that. He got lucky to guide this team into top 4 and it was most certainly helped by how dreadful our contenders were in the final months of the season.

...agree with much of that. I think you could add to that we probably had one of the world's top 3 players at the absolute peak of his powers. Hazard scored or assisted 50% of our goals...that is incredible. Without him we would have been nowhere. We still managed to drop 26 points in the games from January to May. Quite how we fell over the line I'll never know but IMO Sarri had very little to do with it. But as you say United, Arsenal and Spurs hit  relegation from 10 games from home ...that in itself is remarkable series of events... but I'm not complaining just observing its how we finished 3rd ( and tbh spurs had more than half an eye on CL final).

3 hours ago, LeBoeufsGolfBall said:

Its just a link of where team finished. I follow Italian football and have done closely for 25 years, I dont need a link to tell me how things finish up.

In the last 5 or so years, there has been 4 teams domestically who have done anything. Juventus, Napoli, Roma and Inter. He didn't win anything and held his own with those other clubs. Whilst he certainly had more first class firepower at his disposal when compared to Roma and probably Inter.

This really isn't success, its doing ok.

So how many of those four teams have broken the 90 points barrier? Yes, it is a rethorical question. 

Juve 6 times (all in the last 14 seasons), Inter once (06/07) and Napoli once. In the history of italian football. What a dud. Sarri's Napoli broke 80 points all three seasons he was their manager. For context, Inter has only ever broken 80 points four times in their entire history as a club

But I suppose he's nothing special at all. With a team on a vastly inferior budget compared to Inter and Juve to top it all off. 

3 hours ago, LeBoeufsGolfBall said:

If you really want comical. What your link shows me is that Sarri couldn't manage what your mate Rafa managed and with a weaker team.

What was that then? Winning a cup no one in Italy cares about? Well done Rafa. He never broke 80 points let alone 90. Winning a cup no one cares about in Italy isn't an achievement. It's seen as inferior even to the league cup. 

7 minutes ago, NoblyBobly said:

...agree with much of that. I think you could add to that we probably had one of the world's top 3 players at the absolute peak of his powers. Hazard scored or assisted 50% of our goals...that is incredible. Without him we would have been nowhere. 

Without him our attacking play is all of a sudden dynamic and much, much quicker. Go figure. 

But I shouldn't take too much credit for predicting this would happen, it was so obvious. 

1 minute ago, The_Ghost said:

Without him our attacking play is all of a sudden dynamic and much, much quicker. Go figure. 

But I shouldn't take too much credit for predicting this would happen, it was so obvious. 

There are a few things that could be considered a blessing in disguise. Sarri quitting, the hiring of Frank 'he's not ready' Lampard and the transfer ban. To suggest that Hazards departure is cause of our current success and new dynamic play is a bit bizarre. He assisted or scored 50% of our goals with his amazing speed of thought and foot. Sarri's ponderous style and tactics were to blame for our endless possession, sideways passing and slow build up. It is a great shame Hazard couldn't have stayed and played under Lampard. This team IMO would have been quite something with his contribution. 

I too am not going to take too much credit for predicting Lampard would prove his many doubters wrong,  and become a breath of fresh air, putting a spring in everyone's step. In your words....too obvious. 

JaneB   
2 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

To you - I get that.  (Frankly I found him more interesting to listen to than SFL who I find glib, but I really don't think it matters).

Glib?  Frank?  Nooooooo!! Ridiculous.  There's no pleasing you.  I couldn't understand a word Sarri said, and, like some other foreign managers, he spoke in boring clichés because he didn't have enough knowledge of English to do otherwise.  It was boring and far from interesting.  He said things without saying anything.  Frank is articulate, open and straightforward and has a smile on his face (most of the time).

They were a poor squad last year with a lot of rubbish players.  3rd place, LC final and EL winners suggest they really were pretty well motivated.

We had Hazard.  End of.

Well of course I am excluding the players not here last year - how else could we do a comparison.  Nor am I including the players that were here last year - how would Frank be getting on with Drinkwater, Higuain or Luiz?  Not so well I guess.  

Kova and Jorginho are the same as last year - if you didn't spot that you were listening to the media too much.
Emerson got over injury and looked like replacing Alonso last season - exactly the same as this.  None of the others were here.
And Pulisic has flown in one or two games, certainly not often.

It means that it is fine to have favourite managers.  But some here seem obsessed on making up reasons to prove their "favouritism" is well grounded.  It really is resist applied to football.

And again, what do those last two sentences even mean?  What reasons are being made up?  And the last sentence is unreadable.

There are plenty of opinions about weight training.  I recall often being told what a Monster Lukaku was (meant in a good way apparently).
I think you have as much chance of getting a fair and unbiased opinion on weight training as on Brexit.
Sarri's opinions on Weight training (and zonal marking) are legitimate.  So are other opinions.

I found this - opinions vary:  https://trainingground.guru/articles/maurizio-sarri-chelsea-players-dont-do-weights

But thanks for the link

19 minutes ago, JaneB said:

Glib?  Frank?  Nooooooo!! Ridiculous.  There's no pleasing you.  I couldn't understand a word Sarri said, and, like some other foreign managers, he spoke in boring clichés because he didn't have enough knowledge of English to do otherwise.  It was boring and far from interesting.  He said things without saying anything.  Frank is articulate, open and straightforward and has a smile on his face (most of the time).

I do get that others see this differently.  I spent most of my adult life in another country,  a third of that time talking in a language I was only 90% fluent in, and much of the rest talking in English mostly to people who weren't really fluent either.  I'm both more sympathetic to Sarri, and more practiced in deciphering his language.  I know how powerful it was to insist that the people who worked for me spoke in English, and that I could look a complete idiot trying to tell them what to do in their language.  Frank on the other hand has spent all his career in England (or US), and has media stars as uncle, cousin, wife and even his agent's ex-wife.

But actually it seemed to me that Sarri revealed much more than Frank does.  (And strangely he inherited a whole lot of players and a few coaches who already spoke Italian).

Cliches - trouble is that some managers go to English lessons and learn English cliches and use them in interviews.  Pity.  JM was far better - too fluent already to need a language lesson, he simply translated existing phrases from Portugese and Spanish into English and gave us some wonderful expressions.  "They killed us", "not out of the bottle" were wonderful if you are interested in how phrases translate across languages.

28 minutes ago, JaneB said:

And again, what do those last two sentences even mean?  What reasons are being made up?  And the last sentence is unreadable.

Sorry -  It really is 'resist' applied to football. 
Clearer?

2 hours ago, NoblyBobly said:

...agree with much of that. I think you could add to that we probably had one of the world's top 3 players at the absolute peak of his powers. Hazard scored or assisted 50% of our goals...that is incredible. Without him we would have been nowhere. We still managed to drop 26 points in the games from January to May. Quite how we fell over the line I'll never know but IMO Sarri had very little to do with it. But as you say United, Arsenal and Spurs hit  relegation from 10 games from home ...that in itself is remarkable series of events... but I'm not complaining just observing its how we finished 3rd ( and tbh spurs had more than half an eye on CL final).

Well you were still wrong on both Sarri and Jorginho. I suppose even the best gets a few things wrong every now and then:)

I was hesitant to hiring Lampard, mostly because I was a bit worried the club would kick him in his teeth. That might still happen mind so I'm not counting my chickens yet. But no doubt he's done very well so far. Better than Sarri? Hm, not sure. We are only 11 games in. Let's see where we are come February. But I sure hope we keep this up and improve from here.