• Current Donation Goals

1 hour ago, LeBoeufsGolfBall said:

It’s moving the goalposts again though isn’t it? You introduced Barkley into the debate, I didn’t.

No - it is talking about where Kovacic played last year.  And the rather bizarre suggestion that he has more freedom this year.
People say stuff - they all want to be on the Positive Frankie Lampard meme.  That puts no obligation on intelligent people like you or me to take it seriously.

I then tell you there are comments from Barkley. You turn it to why he’s been rubbish and it’s not having any affect.

Not quite - just that he has continued to be rubbish so the comments are meaningless.  Which is fine - meaningless but positive comments are what football interviews are supposed to be.

I’m paraphrasing the quote from Barkley from start of the season, but the interesting choice of words is encouraging players to play more out of their shell and have a more positive impact.

Oh dear.  Has it occurred to you that we have press staff telling both players and hacks what a good theme to talk about would be before they start?  These are structured events.
(And the press have stopped hating Chelsea for a month or two, so expect a lot more b/s for a little while now.  Blue is the new Red.)

5 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

No - it is talking about where Kovacic played last year.  And the rather bizarre suggestion that he has more freedom this year.
People say stuff - they all want to be on the Positive Frankie Lampard meme.  That puts no obligation on intelligent people like you or me to take it seriously.

Not quite - just that he has continued to be rubbish so the comments are meaningless.  Which is fine - meaningless but positive comments are what football interviews are supposed to be.

Oh dear.  Has it occurred to you that we have press staff telling both players and hacks what a good theme to talk about would be before they start?  These are structured events.
(And the press have stopped hating Chelsea for a month or two, so expect a lot more b/s for a little while now.  Blue is the new Red.)

Well time will tell us all a lot more. It's very likely we will be seeing Kovacic in the position he played last year pretty soon over the coming weeks. It may affect his game to become a sideways ball recycler again like he was under Sarri, or we may see a continuation of the player we have seen recently with some minor adjustments. I am pretty confident in what version of Kovacic I expect to see once Kante is back and we line up in a three.

Just like time will tell us brilliant Sarri is at Juve. I would suggest he might not want to repeat substituting Ronaldo when the game is level like last night too often. He will be making life more difficult for himself if he goes down that road too many times.

Jasonb   
13 minutes ago, LeBoeufsGolfBall said:

Well time will tell us all a lot more. It's very likely we will be seeing Kovacic in the position he played last year pretty soon over the coming weeks. It may affect his game to become a sideways ball recycler again like he was under Sarri, or we may see a continuation of the player we have seen recently with some minor adjustments. I am pretty confident in what version of Kovacic I expect to see once Kante is back and we line up in a three.

Just like time will tell us brilliant Sarri is at Juve. I would suggest he might not want to repeat substituting Ronaldo when the game is level like last night too often. He will be making life more difficult for himself if he goes down that road too many times.

I think Frank might have a conundrum once Kante is match-fit though that depends on Kante shrugging off the injuries.

I also don't think we should go 3 in midfield just to accommodate Kante, I think the lineup now with the two in midfield works well.

2 minutes ago, LeBoeufsGolfBall said:

Yes - that will be the time to say if Kovacic is different from last year - when he plays the same or similar role.
I think you may be disappointed but we will see.

4 minutes ago, LeBoeufsGolfBall said:

He is on his 5th great season already.  Taking off Ronaldo seems to have been inspired, or perhaps taking off a 34 year old after 82 mins to bring on 25 yo Dybala is a no-brainer.  Who knows though,  I wasn't watching and make no claim to special knowledge about Italian football.    But hard to criticise a move that worked.  W11D3L0 in Serie A + CL.

Since we are talking favourites here, Conte (good coach, crap person) is doing really well too at Inter.  CA (vastly overrated IMO as person and coach) with Sarri's old Napoli team is really struggling and rumoured to be sacked soon.

31 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

Yes - that will be the time to say if Kovacic is different from last year - when he plays the same or similar role.
I think you may be disappointed but we will see.

He is on his 5th great season already.  Taking off Ronaldo seems to have been inspired, or perhaps taking off a 34 year old after 82 mins to bring on 25 yo Dybala is a no-brainer.  Who knows though,  I wasn't watching and make no claim to special knowledge about Italian football.    But hard to criticise a move that worked.  W11D3L0 in Serie A + CL.

Since we are talking favourites here, Conte (good coach, crap person) is doing really well too at Inter.  CA (vastly overrated IMO as person and coach) with Sarri's old Napoli team is really struggling and rumoured to be sacked soon.

Conte has already started to revert to type. Blaming the board for bad squad management, talking about how he gave them too much trust over the summer etc etc. The same moaning we heard here, despite Inter breaking their transfer record to sign Lukaku and moving on the players he wanted out.

It never seems to be Conte’s fault when things go wrong like on Tuesday night.

17 minutes ago, LeBoeufsGolfBall said:

Indeed.  Still if he is lucky the fans will just blame the board as he wants.

Jasonb   
21 minutes ago, LeBoeufsGolfBall said:

Conte has already started to revert to type. Blaming the board for bad squad management, talking about how he gave them too much trust over the summer etc etc. The same moaning we heard here, despite Inter breaking their transfer record to sign Lukaku and moving on the players he wanted out.

It's funny from my perspective  and glad to be watching it play-out at another club. He has a reputation to maintain with his success and it looks like he tries very hard to ensure it remains successful. There may be trouble ahead...........

19 minutes ago, LeBoeufsGolfBall said:

Conte is a malcontent...always was always will be . Odd having our 2 exes battling it out in Italy. Interesting to see if Juve fans take to Sarri. Despite Juve winning many opening games I see some fans have taken to twitter moaning about the style of footie.  One wrote 'pass pass pass pass pass back pass pass pass pass'. 

28 minutes ago, NoblyBobly said:

Conte is a malcontent...always was always will be . Odd having our 2 exes battling it out in Italy. Interesting to see if Juve fans take to Sarri. Despite Juve winning many opening games I see some fans have taken to twitter moaning about the style of footie.  One wrote 'pass pass pass pass pass back pass pass pass pass'. 

I have seen a handful of Juve games and they have certainly got lucky so far, including last night. They were outplayed for large portions of the game , gifted the opening goal from bad GK error and needed an injury time worldie to win it.

The style of play is a bit different to what we seen last season. They don’t ball recycle as much as we did under Sarri, with exception of Pjanic who is his new Jorginho. He is also using the squad much more than he did at Chelsea, but it does have more quality, so that’s understandable.

They will turn on him quite quickly though if things don’t go well. Partly due to some of his previous comments and actions with Juve when Napoli manager, so not only does he have to win at least 1 major trophy ( they want the CL really) but he has a fan base there who won’t accept anything below very high standards from the team. 

Conte has very much gone 3-5-2 in Italian style, getting the ball forward quickly in hope that Lukaka and Martinez can fire them to the title. I think he will probably get them over the line, despite not having the overall quality and depth of Juve. Any CL run is a bonus really for Inter, whilst Sarri has to go close to winning both.

3 hours ago, LeBoeufsGolfBall said:

Its a shame. As a coach he’s good even though I think some of his football is appallingly boring. But as a person he doesn’t seem to be very nice. 

He share some traits with Mourinho, but the key difference seem to be for Jose it’s a game whereas Conte really means what he says... Maybe I’m reading too much into that, but that’s my feeling. 

2 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

Indeed.  Still if he is lucky the fans will just blame the board as he wants.

That’s usually his play. At Juve, then here and now at Inter. 

The way he got the sack here says it all. Normally Roman just pays up and let the manager get on with it. Not with Conte... 

Edited by The_Ghost