• Current Donation Goals

Michael Tucker

Manchester City 2 Chelsea 1

paulw66   
9 minutes ago, NoblyBobly said:

Neither would I. It worked good enough last season because his form was so high and consistent. The stats show what a massive part he played in our goals. It would be interesting to see his role in this team. We don't seem to have missed him that much but then we don't know where we would be points and goals wise with him in the team. Certainly 150m in the bank is not looking so daft now.

It's an interesting one. I have to say I think we are better as a team without him. For all of his fabulous qualities, he had a tendancy to slow down attacks, as he like to come short for the ball, stop, then take on 2 or 3 defenders. Great when it works, but frustrating at times when a promising counter attack ended up fizzling away into nothing as the oppo got 8 or 9 behind the ball. 

Pulisic, CHO and Willian are all more direct. Not saying they are better, of course not, but different. 

I also think the easy option for our players to give it to Hazard to get us out of trouble has been taken away, so we are less predictable. 

chelboy   

I still would have liked to have seen him in a system that was not fully reliant on him. The 12/13 season he had with Mata always made me think he needed someone of that style to play with him in the final third. The moment Mata left we became a “pass it to Hazard team”. It became predictable. I also think this made others more comfortable hoping he would always come up with the goods. Some may think he hugged the ball but when he passed it to others did anything usually happen afterwards?  Cesc came and eased the creativity burden for a while but Cesc usually played deeper and rarely got into final third positions . 

Mentally the team needed to get over relying on Hazard but in moments especially in the CL I think we have missed his quality at times. In this system he would have been good but I wouldn’t have played him week in week out. In games like Newcastle at home I think we would have created more with him in the team. 

Edited by chelboy

21 minutes ago, chelboy said:

I still would have liked to have seen him in a system that was not fully reliant on him.

Like at RM now?

chelboy   
19 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

Like at RM now?

I meant while he was here. RM system was heavily reliant on Ronaldo and those CL wins really hid their weaknesses. I am not surprised RM are not doing well post Ronaldo. It was clear they won’t have enough goals once he left. Buying Hazard to solve your goals crisis seems a bit silly to me considering he is a playmaker rather than a goal scorer.  

1 hour ago, chelboy said:

I meant while he was here. RM system was heavily reliant on Ronaldo and those CL wins really hid their weaknesses. I am not surprised RM are not doing well post Ronaldo. It was clear they won’t have enough goals once he left. Buying Hazard to solve your goals crisis seems a bit silly to me considering he is a playmaker rather than a goal scorer.  

Sure.  My point was that he doesn't seem to be so good at RM while he is not the single point of attack.  At least not yet.

chelboy   
36 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

Sure.  My point was that he doesn't seem to be so good at RM while he is not the single point of attack.  At least not yet.

Maybe but when you look at the line up and the way RM play you wonder why he was bought in the first place. Many of the first 11 stay behind him and don’t really get involved in the final third.  The only players that  seem to be in the final third with is Benzema or Bale.  I have watched them a few times this season but I can't figure out what they are trying to do exactly. It does not look very attacking but yet they are quite open. 

With Hazard you need good movement around him in the final third for him to create and play well. When the movement is poor he then  switches to “ individual brilliance mode” . I can’t really fault him for doing that because sometimes it works. If Hazard ever played under a system like Pep you would see a different player that probably tries individual brilliance mode less often because of better movement around him. 

6 hours ago, paulw66 said:

I also think the easy option for our players to give it to Hazard to get us out of trouble has been taken away, so we are less predictable. 

Also seem to me the shackles have been taken off William and Pedro. Before they could go missing in a match because Hazard was the centre of attention. 

Under the new regime Pedro early doors before his injury and William now are setting the standards for the young squad

giving the captains armband to William last Saturday was a very shrewd piece of management by frank.  

• Thanks 1

I would absolutely take a draw in this game, but unfortunately, this will be Man City trying to bounce back and make a point, which makes them VERY dangerous. I agree with what you've all been saying, it will be a decision between Pulisic and Mount and that's not an easy call to make. Personally I would go for Mount to start, for his pressing game and Pulisic off the bench if we need a goal.

The fact I'm so nervous about this game shows how well we've done this season. 

chelboy   

Expecting a defeat for this one. We are in good form but I think it is nearly impossible to stop City from creating more clear cut chances than you. Even against Liverpool they had about 2 or 3 clear cut chances on the day. We should be scoring against that City defence for sure especially if Bravo is there. Problem is to avoid defeat we would need 3 goals or possibly more which is not easy at the Eithad. Unless we display a defensive masterclass and take all our chances it will be difficult to get anything from this. The Valencia game is more important than this anyway. 

Sciatika   

I think the pressure is off. A point or three would be nice, but no one expects us to get anything. Can we use that to our advantage?