• Current Donation Goals

LeBoeufsGolfBall

5 Chelsea Questions

Recommended Posts

8 hours ago, blue moon said:

First Chelsea Hero: Ruud. What style. Shame his abilities as a manager didn’t match it.

Club Signing That Excited You The Most: Eden Hazard. Watched him play in Belgium 2-3 weeks before he signed, and was emotional when he signed.

Opposition Player You Wish Chelsea Signed: oddly - and I cannot explain it - Pascal Chimbonda. At the time. Today, perhaps Ginola.

Favourite Chelsea Goal: Drogba vs Manure at Wembley in the cup. He worked so hard for that. 

Fav XI:

Cudicini

Ivanovic   Terry   Sir Percy   Cole

Cole   Lampard   Kante   Zola

Vialli    Drogba

Pascal Chimbonda is a name I never expected to see on this thread ! Football does do that though, it can create these bizarre cult heroes that logically is very hard to explain.

As a teen growing up and being a big fan of Italian football, I had similar cult heroes who were non Chelsea like Torricelli, Asprilla, Stanic ( who kinda became a cult hero at Chelsea, though injuries ruined his ability when we had him)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jasonb   
12 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

Club Signing That Excited You The Most - Vinnie Jones.  Generally I'm a wait and see kind of guy, but I really got my hopes up for Vinnie.

 

I was intrigued by that one too and he played over 30 games for us that first season.

I recall one notable win at Anfield where we won and he scored the first.

I also recall he was popular with the Shed and leading the singing on at least one occasion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
paulw66   

First hero - Dennis Wise. A very loveable rogue in every sense. 

Club signing that excited......well, there have been loads in the (nearly) 30 years I have been a fan. The first was Robert Fleck. Just banged in a load of goals for Norwich, including a couple of belters against us.......Jesus, what a let down. After that, Gullit signing was a signpost moment that really changed the course of our direction. I have to confess also to being excited by the signings of Shevchenko, Torres, and SWP. What a collective load of tosh! SWP for me was the biggest let down. Signed at a really good age, about 24 I think, seemed really hungry to come here after a really good season at City......one of the worst players I have seen play for us.

Opposition player we should have signed. Aguero. We were linked with him for 2 or 3 seasons, then I watched him make his City debut, coming on as a sub v Swansea and scored twice in about 20 minutes, the second of which was a 25 yard bullet into the corner, and I just thought, "f*cking hell, what have we done (or not done)". Was also gutted when they nicked Robinho, but that wasn't so bad. 

Favourite Chelsea goal.......so many to pick, but hard to look past RdM at Wembley in 1997. Waited 26 years for a trophy, and we won that one after 43 seconds. 

Favourite XI and Best XI are two quite different things...... anyway, have come up with:

Cech, Ivanovic, JT, Carvalho, Cole, Makelele, Lampard, Gullit, Robben, Hazard, Drogba

Some honourable favourites, Wise, Zola, Gudjohnsen, Fabregas, Costa, Desaiily, Leboeuf, Rdm, Cudicini, Petrescu, Vialli, Sinclair, Ballack, Essien, Duff, Cole J.........list goes on.

Edited by paulw66

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

First hero - Dennis Wise. A very loveable rogue in every sense. 

Club signing that excited......well, there have been loads in the (nearly) 30 years I have been a fan. The first was Robert Fleck. Just banged in a load of goals for Norwich, including a couple of belters against us.......Jesus, what a let down. After that, Gullit signing was a signpost moment that really changed the course of our direction. I have to confess also to being excited by the signings of Shevchenko, Torres, and SWP. What a collective load of tosh! SWP for me was the biggest let down. Signed at a really good age, about 24 I think, seemed really hungry to come here after a really good season at City......one of the worst players I have seen play for us.

Opposition player we should have signed. Aguero. We were linked with him for 2 or 3 seasons, then I watched him make his City debut, coming on as a sub v Swansea and scored twice in about 20 minutes, the second of which was a 25 yard bullet into the corner, and I just thought, "f*cking hell, what have we done (or not done)". Was also gutted when they nicked Robinho, but that wasn't so bad. 

Favourite Chelsea goal.......so many to pick, but hard to look past RdM at Wembley in 1997. Waited 26 years for a trophy, and we won that one after 43 seconds. 

Favourite XI and Best XI are two quite different things...... anyway, have come up with:

Cech, Ivanovic, JT, Carvalho, Cole, Makelele, Lampard, Gullit, Robben, Hazard, Drogba

Some honourable favourites, Wise, Zola, Gudjohnsen, Fabregas, Costa, Desaiily, Leboeuf, Rdm, Cudicini, Petrescu, Vialli, Sinclair, Ballack, Essien, Duff, Cole J.........list goes on.

Robert Fleck .....I remember seeing that transfer break on teletext . I remember seeing it come up that we broke our transfer record for £2.3 million I think. Which at the time was a big transfer fee .What a let down he went on to become!

Edited by LeBoeufsGolfBall

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Jasonb said:

I was intrigued by that one too and he played over 30 games for us that first season.

I recall one notable win at Anfield where we won and he scored the first.

I also recall he was popular with the Shed and leading the singing on at least one occasion.

I think he only had the one season here, I could never understand why that was. Some weird transfers over the years, can’t remember the context of it, but didn’t we have Clive Allen for about 6-9 months at one stage. I was only about 10 or 11 at the time, but I hardly remember him playing and then he seemed to leave pretty quickly too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
paulw66   
13 minutes ago, LeBoeufsGolfBall said:

I think he only had the one season here, I could never understand why that was. Some weird transfers over the years, can’t remember the context of it, but didn’t we have Clive Allen for about 6-9 months at one stage. I was only about 10 or 11 at the time, but I hardly remember him playing and then he seemed to leave pretty quickly too.

Clive Allen joined in the summer, then left on March transfer deadline day, joined West ham, then promptly scored for them on his debut......against us. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
paulw66   
23 minutes ago, LeBoeufsGolfBall said:

Robert Fleck .....I remember seeing that transfer break on teletext . I remember seeing it come up that we broke our transfer record for £2.3 million I think. Which at the time was a big transfer fee .What a let down he went on to become!

Yup, remember checking page 302 in the days when it was rumoured, then remember when it was all confirmed, breaking the 1.6m record previously held by Dennis Wise. 

I think he got 3 goals in his Chelsea career. 

Edit from Wikipedia

He controversially moved on to Chelsea for a (then) club record fee of £2.1million just before the first season of the new Premier League got underway, Norwich turned down the bid, but he forced it through by threatening to go on strike and refuse to play for the club again. At the time the deal was a record sale for Norwich, As part of the deal a clause was included to ruled Fleck out of playing against Norwich the 1st time they met just a couple of weeks later. Despite his now legendary status at Norwich, at the time he was probably one of the most hated players among Norwich fans. The move proved unsuccessful; Fleck scored just four goals in 48 appearances and was loaned out to Bolton Wanderers and Bristol City. He missed out on a place in Chelsea's squad for the 1994 FA Cup Final, which they lost 4–0 to Manchester United.

Edited by paulw66

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Clive Allen joined in the summer, then left on March transfer deadline day, joined West ham, then promptly scored for them on his debut......against us. 

Yeah that was it. I remember he was only here a real short time and it seemed like he didn’t really play much. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First chelsea hero - Dinitri Kharine, what can I say, I wanted to be a goalkeeper when I was a boy.

Signing that excited me the most - Gianluca Vialli.

Opposition player - Maldini, was never going to happen but used to always be linked with him on the back of the sunday newspapers and as a kid it was super exciting. 

Favourite goal - Unquestionably Drogba's equaliser in Munich. 

Favourite 11 -

Cech

Petrescu Le Boeuf Terry Le Saux

Essien Wise Lampard Ballack

Zola Drogba 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sciatika   

First Chelsea Hero - Ian Hutchinson

Club Signing That Excited You The Most - FloMo or maybe Hoddle

Opposition Player You Wish Chelsea Signed - Aguero, maybe.

Favourite Chelsea Goal - Osgood's flying header in the FA Cup Final Replay. I really thought we were going to be stuffed in that game.

Your Lifetime Chelsea Eleven - Hard. When you play Nevin, Hazard, Hutch, Zola, Robben, Fillery, Canners, Butch, Wise, Walker and Cooke in the same team, one of them has to go in goal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now