• Current Donation Goals

LeBoeufsGolfBall

5 Chelsea Questions

13 hours ago, LeBoeufsGolfBall said:

I had to google McAndrew as not familiar with him as a Chelsea player. His career closed pretty much when I first got into football and it wasn’t a name I had come across.

I was tempted with Dorigo, good pace and trickery for a full back in that era.

In that near relegation year of 82/83 we bought Speedie, Joey Jones and McAndrew for not very much.  Jones did his bit, but Speedie and McAndrew kept us up.  A CB playing DM.  Pretty much on their own.  Without them we'd have been Division 3, but a few more names were bought - Bates turned us into a big ticket club - a Div 2 version of RA's first teams - and the world changed for a year or two.  Sadly McAndrew got seriously injured and barely played in the fun part - all the more reason to remember him.

Dorigo was all pace, and enough technique, no need for trickery.  And he invented long distance marking.  Wherever his oppo winger was on the pitch, Dorigo had him covered - from 5 yards, 15 yards, 50 yards, it didn't matter.  Went on to win Prem with Leeds which should have been no surprise.

2 hours ago, LeBoeufsGolfBall said:

(Vinnie Jones) I think he only had the one season here, I could never understand why that was. Some weird transfers over the years, can’t remember the context of it, but didn’t we have Clive Allen for about 6-9 months at one stage. I was only about 10 or 11 at the time, but I hardly remember him playing and then he seemed to leave pretty quickly too.

Read an autobiog of the period (I don't read many). Might have Cascarino's or Dixon's or Vinnie's.  Anyway it seems those three and Townsend were quite the lads doing a lot of 1970s style drinking.  I wouldn't be surprised is he was asked to move on.  In fact he spent consecutive 1 year seasons at Leeds, Sheff United, and Chelsea, being picked for pretty much every game, and then going back for another long spell at Wimbledon (which famously put up with a lot of nonsense).

2 hours ago, paulw66 said:

First hero - Dennis Wise. A very loveable rogue in every sense. 

25 minutes ago, Martin1905 said:

First chelsea hero - Dinitri Kharine, what can I say, I wanted to be a goalkeeper when I was a boy.

1 minute ago, Sciatika said:

First Chelsea Hero - Ian Hutchinson

Great calls

Jasonb   
2 hours ago, LeBoeufsGolfBall said:

I think he only had the one season here, I could never understand why that was. Some weird transfers over the years, can’t remember the context of it, but didn’t we have Clive Allen for about 6-9 months at one stage. I was only about 10 or 11 at the time, but I hardly remember him playing and then he seemed to leave pretty quickly too.

He started a second season with six appearances not sure why he moved though.

In his biography, he says Hutchinson sold him without asking in order to bring in Spackman. He says he got 80k each from Chelsea and Wimbledon, which sweetened the blow.

On 12/11/2019 at 8:09 AM, LeBoeufsGolfBall said:

If like me and you absolutely hate international football breaks, how about we reminisce with five Chelsea questions to instigate some discussion over the next 2 weeks.

I'll start us off.

First Chelsea Hero - Andy Townsend -Gutted when he left the club.

Club Signing That Excited You The Most - Ruud Gullit - Idolised him as a kid and couldn't believe it when we signed him.

Opposition Player You Wish Chelsea Signed - Carlos Tevez - Could be a problem, but would have been a great favourite at Chelsea

Favourite Chelsea Goal - Robbie Di Matteo Cup final Vs Boro - Probably due to the timing and the occasion more than anything else.

Your Lifetime Chelsea Eleven - Any formation and will be very subjective to everyone.

Cech

Gallas    Desailly    Terry   A Cole

Ballack    Kante    Lampard

Anelka      Costa    Hazard

First Chelsea Hero - Dennis Wise

Signing that excited the most - Crespo

Favourite Goal - Drogba vs Spuds - FA Cup Semi 2012

Best XI 

Cech

Ivanovic Terry Lord Percy Cole

Lampard Kante Ballack 

Hazard Drogba Robben 

Ivanovic gets in as he is the best RB I have seen but it is probably the weakest position we have had since I started watching. 

Edited by King Kante

First Chelsea Hero - Di Matteo - first name I had on the back of any shirt (it was an Italy shirt not Chelsea though)

Club Signing That Excited You The Most - Probably Torres, didn't quite work out though

Opposition Player You Wish Chelsea Signed - Aguero, so often linked, but it never happened and then I remember watching him on his debut for City... we missed out there!

Favourite Chelsea Goal - Robbie Di Matteo Cup final Vs Boro for me too, an amazing feeling see that fly in.

Your Lifetime Chelsea Eleven -

Cech

Clarke  Carvalho  Terry  A.Cole

Makelele

Lampard  Ballack

Zola  Drogba  J.Cole

Edit. My team is based on favoured personnel as much as quality.

Edited by My Blood Is Blue

Rob B   

First Chelsea Hero - Zola 

Signing That Excited Me The Most - Not sure I can pick one, but I was particularly excited by Joe Cole, Scott Parker and Torres at the time

Player Wished We Signed - Modric

Favourite Goal -  Again, can’t pick one but Lamps penalty against Liverpool for the emotion, Alex’s free-kick against Liverpool and JTs header against Barca all stand out.

Lifetime Eleven 

Cech 

Ivanovic.  Terry.  Carvalho.  Cole 

Kante 

Ballack  Lampard

Hazard.     Drogba.   Zola

(Special mention to Azpi, Desailly, Makelele, Essien and Robben)

On 11/13/2019 at 1:37 PM, kennypaul said:

1. Kerry Dixon

2. Chris Sutton believe it or not!

3. Dennis Bergkamp

4. Peter Osgood FA Cup vs Burnley 1970 ( for the genius of Hudson)

5. undecided as yet

5. Cech petrescu Carvalho Terry le saux Makelele Lampard gudjonsen zola Drogba Robben

1st hero - Alan Hudson

Favourite Goal - Clive Walker v Liverpool FA Cup. 

Signing - Fleck Veron Hazard

All Time 11

Cech 

Gallas Harris Terry Cole

A.Hudson Makelele Lampard 

Zola Drosgoodixon Hazard