• Current Donation Goals

Michael Tucker

Chelsea 0 West Ham United 1

JaneB   
3 hours ago, chara said:

Well Jane ..here in Colorado we are in the middle of a dangerous High Wind alert....pretty much what happens on here with opinions..change with the wind in may cases.

Stick to your own gut feelings and stay behind OUR team.

Keep safe Chara 🌪

ALWAYS 💙

Frank Lampard knew there would be tough moments in the Premier League this season, and wants to see his team react to defeat against West Ham United in the right way in our next match against Aston Villa.

Despite being in control for most of the game against the Hammers, we suffered a 1-0 loss as the visitors made the most of their few chances and we struggled to break down a stubborn defence at the other end. However, Lampard knew that games like this would come around sooner or later, given the strength of teams throughout the Premier League.

‘Shocked isn’t the word,’ he said. ‘I think the Premier League is what it is, no game is easy or given to you. I’m disappointed with it rather than shocked.

‘Generally, collectively, we can handle that game better, and I think that is part of the process. I don’t think this will be the worst thing for us, as long as we react in the right way, because I keep hearing positive great stories about us over the last six or eight weeks. I always try to close my ears to them because I don’t like them because I understand what this league is and the fight that we’re in over the course of the season and there will be moments like this.

‘We were never going to come through a season as invincibles or anything, it just was not going to be the way, so when these moments come they’re little tests for all of us and we have to pass those tests.

Frank didn’t feel the changes to the team after the midweek match in Valencia affected the result

'Tammy was enforced and he’s been going well, but at the same time I have to think about the squad and about the course of the season. When we have a very taxing game where we give everything physically, arrive back late, I have to think about how fresh we can be for the game ahead.

‘It also gives me a look at how we are generally, because we’re not going to get through the season with the same 11 players, so those are the things for me to look at. I think the team we had out there for sure had the quality to go out there and win this game. The fact we performed below par is the reason that we didn’t.

‘I do believe in the squad and I think we’ve shown some great stuff this season. I’ve not had to say many times we were below par. Hardly at all, even when we didn’t get what we want, but today was one of those days. So I don’t think this is any time for harsh reactions and judgements across individuals or the team. It’s time for a look at a bit character, to see how our reaction is for Aston Villa.’

He has identified the need for more creativity in the final third

'We were below par in many parts of our game, it’s not one, but we didn’t do enough in the final third. That’s been a little bit of the story in our last three games. They were different, with Man City we got in the final third a lot and didn’t do quite enough with our choice of pass or cross or shot, similar to Valencia.

‘Today we didn’t get in there quite as much, but we need to be more inventive and generally we have been this season. My gripe this season has been more that we’re not converting enough of the chances that we’re making. Today wasn’t quite that, we didn’t quite create enough.’

1 hour ago, JaneB said:

Frank has a helluva job to do but he's doing ok. There's so much to sort out. 

Yes, he is. IF we get our January transfer ban overturned, and can bring in a couple of quality players, and show the door to a few, then I'm very positive about the second half of the season. 

Holymoly   

Wow. The vultures have really flown back into the forums this week. Many have been curiously absent for the last month. Makes you wonder which club they really support. Not a great display today but we’re still in 4th. Chins up lads, it’s a marathon not a sprint etc etc.

JaneB   
17 minutes ago, Michael Tucker said:

Yes, he is. IF we get our January transfer ban overturned, and can bring in a couple of quality players, and show the door to a few, then I'm very positive about the second half of the season. 

13 minutes ago, Holymoly said:

Wow. The vultures have really flown back into the forums this week. Many have been curiously absent for the last month. Makes you wonder which club they really support. Not a great display today but we’re still in 4th. Chins up lads, it’s a marathon not a sprint etc etc.

This and This :-) :-)

Blue Rod   

Earlier in the season we were conceding goals but also scoring them, which is about right for a team full of young players managed by young managers who were themselves attacking midfielders.  We have now quietly stopped scoring goals, or creating enough clear chances and we continue to concede. That worries me.

Intensity in the final third is lacking. Our players have stopped putting in the hard running from midfield and FBs. Possession is fine, but it's the sudden change of speed and intensity that turns possession into goal chances. It is what helps a team to take advantage of situations.

We seem to be happy to allow our opponents the time to regroup, which gives away any advantage we may have gained in position and numbers in certain areas. This is a fundamental flaw. I dont know of any Chelsea team or any team that succeeded playing this kind of one speed football.  

We move well all round, but there is no change of gear when we need to. To be honest I would rather we moved less, had less possession but save our runs for the killer moments 

1 hour ago, Michael Tucker said:

Yeah, I agree with this. If we can sign a couple of players in Jan we should be alright. There are currently glaring holes in the squad that need addressing. Hopefully we can sort it in Jan.

chelboy   

Yeah I can’t wait to see what a Lamps team would look like after 4-5 windows. I really like his style of football and what he is trying to do here. Problem is when players that don’t really suit the team come in things break up. Said it before that both Giroud and Bats can never play lone striker in this system. To then throw Pedro into the mix who just doesn’t suit what we are about causes more problems. There are players in the academy that suit the system better than some first team players we have right now. Problem is bringing those in and removing the older lot can cause splits in the camp. Results like this have to come. It shows why Lamps is right to drop certain players from the team. 

Edited by chelboy
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Michael Tucker said:

I’m not sure there’ll be too many available in January. At least of the quality that we might be in the market for. 

OTOH if we can get Rudiger, Loftus Cheek and CHO back to match fitness then that’ll be pretty good. 

3 hours ago, Michael Tucker said:

Even without the transfer ban being overturned, I reckon the second half of the season should be something to look forward to this year. 

Rudiger comes back soon, eventually Loftus-Cheek as well, and Kante should finish the season strongly after having so much rest.

And I don't think expectations at the club are huge this year either. I think a lot of people are just happy to see how this young core develops.

Its better if the ban isn't over-turned as it gives Frank a full year free of external pressure and enough leeway to use these youngsters and give to them valuable experience without having to be questioned.