• Current Donation Goals

Michael Tucker

Valencia 2 Chelsea 2

7 hours ago, bONes said:

The first goal was so pooor to concede - a string of mistakes. Apzi clearly indicating to Zouma that he's got the crosser and Zouma should retreat to the box to clear the potential header. Instead, Zouma goes to the winger and Azpi is forced to retreat which doesn't give him enough time to get back to the dangerous area. Where is Christensen, Reece or our DMs, not sure and then shot is straight at Kepa, but somehow still goes in.

Tbf to AC, he went with his player. The real culprit from the back line for that goal was Zouma who got himself stranded in no mans land. Arguements can also be made with the CM's not tracking the run. As for the shot, any decent keeper should expect to push that away. 

paulw66   
2 hours ago, NoblyBobly said:

I wouldn't say it was a big error, but I would say that if you put every prem league keeper in front of that shot , a fair few would have saved it. Well I think they would have anyway. 

I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt on the cross shot but I'm still not over happy with it.

Its worth noting that their keeper pulled off 2 stunning saves. One from Tammy and one deflected shot near the end from Bats. Would Keppa have saved those? Not sure he would have. 

Then of course he did his standard pass straight to opposition.  

I think its fair to say he's not doing a great job of convincing his critics right now. 

To be fair you are completely ignoring the saves Kepa made....

1 hour ago, paulw66 said:

Yes, he did make two good saves. The one against Maxi (although I am not sure how much he knew about it as it hit him in the ribs) and the penalty save. However, such is the life of a goalkeeper, if you are palming in shots like the first, everyone is going to be annoyed, especially when said keeper keeps on doing it. That is also before we talk about the stupid pass, the running out into no mans land and the cross (which is tbf up for debate.) 

Edited by King Kante

2 hours ago, paulw66 said:

If we are going to look at their keepers performance then he should probably be saving Kova's goal, he did make some great saves and one was very lucky that it hit his leg without him knowing mich about it.

4 hours ago, paulw66 said:

I haven't ignored the penalty save at all on this thread...I've mentioned the brilliance of it more than once. But if we are picking keepers on the basis of ability to make penalty saves then Big Willy should be our number one. 

Any pro keeper is capable of pulling of a brilliant stunning save. I see it every week in the prem and championship.  What makes a keeper better than the rest is consistency and doing the less eye catching stuff well and making tricky stuff look easy.  

Are you quite happy with him this season? As an elite sportsman I would be very surprised if behind closed doors Keppa has been satisfied with some of his performances.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lump Of Celery said:

If we are going to look at their keepers performance then he should probably be saving Kova's goal, he did make some great saves and one was very lucky that it hit his leg without him knowing mich about it.

Kovas goal was possibly saveable but it couldnt have been better placed in the corner. The leg save from Bats looked annoyingly brilluant to me. Id give their keeper an 8 out of 10. Keppa had a pen save but question marks on 2 goals plus suicidal pass out that could easily have led to a goal. 6 out of 10 for me. 

4 hours ago, NoblyBobly said:

Kovas goal was possibly saveable but it couldnt have been better placed in the corner. The leg save from Bats looked annoyingly brilluant to me. Id give their keeper an 8 out of 10. Keppa had a pen save but question marks on 2 goals plus suicidal pass out that could easily have led to a goal. 6 out of 10 for me. 

The Btas deflect save was very good. I think the Cillesen save from Abraham has largely gone unnoticed due to the game being so crazy. The reflexes he showed to produce that save was brilliant, there was no time to think in that situation as it all just happened so quick and instinctive from Abraham and Cillesen. We talk about 'worldie' football strikes that lead to goals, well this was a 'worldie' save for me that if you are on the opposite end of , you have too consider yourself pretty unlucky.

I'm surprised more has not been made of this save in football. Deserves more recognition .

Edited by LeBoeufsGolfBall
  • Like 1

paulw66   
6 hours ago, NoblyBobly said:

I haven't ignored the penalty save at all on this thread...I've mentioned the brilliance of it more than once. But if we are picking keepers on the basis of ability to make penalty saves then Big Willy should be our number one. 

Any pro keeper is capable of pulling of a brilliant stunning save. I see it every week in the prem and championship.  What makes a keeper better than the rest is consistency and doing the less eye catching stuff well and making tricky stuff look easy.  

Are you quite happy with him this season? As an elite sportsman I would be very surprised if behind closed doors Keppa has been satisfied with some of his performances.  

No, he's been poor, (although exposed a lot by a porous defence with a lack of leadership) but in the context of this game and discussion, I think it was slightly disingenious to praise their keeper for making a couple of good saves, and suggesting ours did nothing, when in fact ours did exactly the same. It wasn't just the penalty save, the save in the first half at 0-0 at the back post was excellent too, although at first glance, it looked like the forward had just hit it wide. 

Had Kepa let in a shot like the one Kovacic scored, he would have been thrown under the bus..........and with some justification. It wasn't a clean strike and went fairly slowly into the corner.

I am not saying Kepa has been brilliant, far from it, but let's judge everyone by the same standards. 

The first goal was maybe saveable but the striker was completely unmarked from 6 yards......by definition, the GK isn't soley to blame, but I dont see anyone having a pop at the awful marking. The second goal was a fluke and he had no chance. 

21 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

No, he's been poor, (although exposed a lot by a porous defence with a lack of leadership) but in the context of this game and discussion, I think it was slightly disingenious to praise their keeper for making a couple of good saves, and suggesting ours did nothing, when in fact ours did exactly the same. It wasn't just the penalty save, the save in the first half at 0-0 at the back post was excellent too, although at first glance, it looked like the forward had just hit it wide. 

Had Kepa let in a shot like the one Kovacic scored, he would have been thrown under the bus..........and with some justification. It wasn't a clean strike and went fairly slowly into the corner.

I am not saying Kepa has been brilliant, far from it, but let's judge everyone by the same standards. 

The first goal was maybe saveable but the striker was completely unmarked from 6 yards......by definition, the GK isn't soley to blame, but I dont see anyone having a pop at the awful marking. The second goal was a fluke and he had no chance. 

But paul we are not looking at it in the context of just this game, we are looking at it in the context of our season so far and a trend in performances. I have no idea how the Valencia keeper has performed so far this season but I have seen question marks on Keppa almost every single game, and I see he has lost gis place as the Spanish national keeper. I read somewhere that this season his save rate is 52%. This means that half the shots he has to save are hitting the back of the net ...and he is meant to be a save maker!! Even last season where most seemed to think he did ok, of the keepers in the top 6 teams , Keppas stats and save rate were at the bottom. 

As for the defence.  Well its a bit chicken and egg. Is the defence making Keppa look bad or is Keppa not doing the defence any favours. Bit of both I suspect. 

paulw66   
17 minutes ago, NoblyBobly said:

But paul we are not looking at it in the context of just this game, we are looking at it in the context of our season so far and a trend in performances. I have no idea how the Valencia keeper has performed so far this season but I have seen question marks on Keppa almost every single game, and I see he has lost gis place as the Spanish national keeper. I read somewhere that this season his save rate is 52%. This means that half the shots he has to save are hitting the back of the net ...and he is meant to be a save maker!! Even last season where most seemed to think he did ok, of the keepers in the top 6 teams , Keppas stats and save rate were at the bottom. 

As for the defence.  Well its a bit chicken and egg. Is the defence making Keppa look bad or is Keppa not doing the defence any favours. Bit of both I suspect. 

I am not disagreeing with your general comments in respect of the whole season but I don't think he was to blame for anything on Wednesday, in fact I think we would have lost without him.

I don't entriely buy the save percentage thing as like Wednesday, we have conceded a lot of free shots from close range. We have also scored about 3 or 4 own goals, which distort the figure. 

We all agree he needs to improve.......I think a big part of the problem is that he and the central defence are both relatively inepxerienced (particularly without Rudiger) and not hugely vocal. I think I would go for the Napoli guy, even if he is 29.