• Current Donation Goals

Michael Tucker

Chelsea 2 Aston Villa 1

paulw66   
9 hours ago, King Kante said:

Just seen the Villa goal on highlights and I still maintain what I said whilst at the ground. Kepa was very poor for that goal. I simply just do not understand why he stays on his line so much. He should have come out and punched that. Even if he misses he still looks better than standing on his line looking shocked that the ball has gone in the net.

Like Heaton did with Tammy's goal?

He's damned either way unfortunately.

With Willian playing well and Alonso dropped, we need to pick on someone else...... 

paulw66   
11 hours ago, King Kante said:

Well actually it was but never mind. Personally I was at the game in the MHL so I will watch it again but for me he needs to come out and punch it. I have been saying time and again his stay at home style of keeping is crap because if a ball goes in the 8 yard area and the attacker gets to it, he has very little chance of saving it as is too close. Anyway, good win. Onwards and up. 

We conceded 39 league goals last season, at near enough 1 per game.

We have conceded 21 in 15 so far, which is 53 pro rata. Our goalkeeper hasn't changed, so something else has. 

47 minutes ago, East Lower said:

And there's the rub, generally I'd agree - a really good goalkeeper. Clearly kept his old team together defensively, when he was dropped last season their form fell to pieces and got better when he was put back in the team.

But did people see him for our first goal last night, went out from his line and moved to his right thinking he was going to get the cross - mistakingly, leaving the centre of the goal free for Tammy to head into. If he'd have stayed where he was, he catch's the ball.

That's the main problem with being a goalkeeper, their mistakes and sometimes not even their mistakes are costly and over-examined/criticised.

What I'd say is that he's not the best I've ever seen, but has a massive price-tag and with that an unfair 'burden' of expectation that he should be. He's also quite inexperienced for a top-level goalkeeper, it took David De Gea at least two and a bit seasons to get his performance levels up to a point where he was being referred to as in the top two goalkeepers in the world. In his first two seasons, people were referring him to a bit of a dud, waste of money etc.

Give our man some time, he's had a season and a quarter. We over-paid, no doubt in my mind of that - that's not his fault and that shouldn't be used as a stick to beat him with.

Yep. Sums it up nicely.

I said recently and will repeat. GKs generally hit their peak late 20s and Arsenal are a good example here.

Fabianski and Szcesny were both given their No1 jersey early in their career. Both failed through lacking the knowledge and experience required to be a top level keeper. Both had great shot stopping ability as most keepers do, but they improved their understanding of the game and position through experience of playing.

Szcesny is now Juve No1 and regarded as the best keeper in Italy. Whilst Fabianski has improved into a high quality keeper who the hammers have missed hugely in recent months.

They were not the keepers they are now in their mid 20s. Kepa is better now than they were at his age and he has only played something like 120 first team games. He will continue to progress and improve and we need to show patience with him. A good quality and hungry No2 can only help matters and this should be addressed in the summer.

I was there last night, in the middle of the middle as always, and there is no way in a million years Kepa is at fault for their goal.

In real time, in real life it's just a really, really good cross that 4 outfield players got completely wrong. 

Kepa hasn't been great this season , although he's certainly not been as bad as some would make out, but the criticism now is getting silly. At fault for last night and West Ham according to some. Utter bollox. 

The biggest culprit for an awful lot of our goals conceded this season is Frank Lampard. He seriously needs to sort us out defensively and until he does I dint think any keeper in the world should be judged, the poor kid must be constantly on edge knowing full well that every time we get attacked there's a fair chance it will lead to a one v one or a free header.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

Nigel Martyn ? He must have kept himself fit then as he'd be about fifty by now .

Tom Heaton . I believe . An excellent keeper . 

Sorry - watching WHU replay earlier in the day.  Alvin Martin.

8 hours ago, chelboy said:

Sky Sports highlights showed a very good angle from the net angle and you see him start from midway in the 6 yard box then suddenly retreats back to his goal line. That is very bizarre goalkeeping.

Look at the whip on the cross - there is no way in the world anyone knows where it is coming down.  The first striker finds it going over his head and it hits the second in the midriff without him knowing much about it.  Going for that cross would have been suicide.

2 hours ago, paulw66 said:

Like Heaton did with Tammy's goal?

He's damned either way unfortunately.

With Willian playing well and Alonso dropped, we need to pick on someone else...... 

Not really. Heaton went for it but got caught in two minds. The going for it was the right call as like I keep saying, if you stand on your line as a keeper and the ball get hit towards goal that close in you have no chance of saving it unless it is right at you. Hence, staying on the line in those instances are poor decisions.

Please go and look at the goal via the sky link Chelboy posted. Kepa was about two/three yards off his line when the ball got played in but instead of going for it,  he retreated rather than went for the ball. It is what I thought I saw at the ground and it is poor keeping. I really cannot believe people are saying what he did was the right thing. No one is saying he should have caught the ball but rather he should have punched it out.

Holymoly   
3 hours ago, Michael Tucker said:

So, if he doesn't come out, he's a clown, and if he does, then it's just 'routine actions'? That's my point in a nutshell - he simply can't win whatever he does.

Personally I'm entirely relaxed having him as our keeper. I'm not sure having the greatest keeper that ever lived instead (whoever that is/was) would mean we'd be any higher up the league. In fact I'm not sure what we can add when our ban is over that won't destabilise a squad that seems to be maturing as a unit. I'm totally against buying squad level players and unless there is a world class player out there who can walk straight into the starting XI and immediately make a positive contribution, what's the point?

paulw66   
11 minutes ago, King Kante said:

Not really. Heaton went for it but got caught in two minds. The going for it was the right call as like I keep saying, if you stand on your line as a keeper and the ball get hit towards goal that close in you have no chance of saving it unless it is right at you. Hence, staying on the line in those instances are poor decisions.

Please go and look at the goal via the sky link Chelboy posted. Kepa was about two/three yards off his line when the ball got played in but instead of going for it,  he retreated rather than went for the ball. It is what I thought I saw at the ground and it is poor keeping. I really cannot believe people are saying what he did was the right thing. No one is saying he should have caught the ball but rather he should have punched it out.

Have seen it several times. Am convinced that unless he knew prior to the cross going in, exactly where it was going to go, then he wouldn't have got there, and would have been stranded half way, and the ball would gone into the empty net. And of course, he would have been chastised for doing so. 

The bolded me tickeld me. The first goal in Valencia he was criticised for not saving, but here you say at that range a GK has no chance....... there was certainly no way he could have taken that particular cross. 

Whatever he does, it's his fault. He is this year's Jorginho. 

chelboy   
3 hours ago, paulw66 said:

Why does it always have to be that someone is being picked on? Was there not a time Willian form and G/A output was not good enough? Was there not a time Alonso was becoming a liability in a back 4? 

No one is picking on Kepa. I used to defend Kepa most times but I am starting to see flaws to his game that people brought up. It doesn’t mean people are picking on him. Choosing to retreat back like that can be seen both ways. I think it is odd goalkeeping. This season so far he has been the most disappointing out of the first 11.