• Current Donation Goals

Michael Tucker

Chelsea 2 Aston Villa 1

chara   
3 hours ago, Sciatika said:

Never been a goalkeeper. We are always being told that they should be brave, dominate their areas esp. the 6-yard box, take control and try to take the pressure off the defence by punching or, better, catching the ball. I get that. That they should close down angles and make themselves big is just a matter of geometry to me. But in the context of an action, it seemed odd but it is hard to say whether the move was right or wrong without knowing what was in his mind and what other players said and did around him. We also know that the best keepers are in their 30s because the key to being a good keeper is having experience. Whether he is overpriced or not is not really my problem. I think he is a decent keeper and he will be a better keeper next season.

As ever reading the specifics of goalkeeping ..absolutes that they are...doesn't translate into the randomness of the game ....to quote..or probably misquote an old movie.."It's doing the wrong thing at the right time"...as much a view of the position in part as any black and white "law"...

At the very top level the margins for error .are so slight it's amazing what all the keepers do. Try watching the tv shots from behind a goal and if you care to watch properly you can see what the keeper can or cannot see. Not just the Chelsea keeper  any game.

I told myself that I had withdrawn from the Kepa "discussion" as I couldn't match the level of expertise presented after every game and that still holds true.

The game has ever thrown up "Lucky" keepers..Banks..and "Unlucky" keepers..Sprake...for example only not for debate purposes....All keepers make mistakes even sainted ones like PC and keepers have to be mentally strong to get past an error and carry on...no where to hide....try that in a real game.....Willians early headed miss the other day was as telling on the final result as any "error" by a keeper but only a mild criticism as early in the game.

Oh...and yeah,,Never been a goalkeeper....sums a lot up.

Regarding conceding from crosses and what has changed from last season - David Luiz was excellent at heading anything away at his near post, there were games when no cross got past him. He had his pros and cons in other departments but I reckon we are missing him on crosses coming in from our LB, although we are conceding them from both wings which indicates a problem with the system too.

8 hours ago, Michael Tucker said:

So, if he doesn't come out, he's a clown, and if he does, then it's just 'routine actions'? That's my point in a nutshell - he simply can't win whatever he does.

I’m not sure what your point is other than (intentionally?) misrepresenting the meaning of what I said. 

But let’s put it like this. Do you think any of the “crosses” he dealt with second half wasn’t routine actions? 

7 hours ago, paulw66 said:

We conceded 39 league goals last season, at near enough 1 per game.

We have conceded 21 in 15 so far, which is 53 pro rata. Our goalkeeper hasn't changed, so something else has. 

So a players performance is constant? Is that what younger saying? A player can’t be better or worse from one season to the next? 

3 hours ago, Jasonb said:

He was involved in both goals like a pre-assist. 

He often is and has been for his whole career here. 

paulw66   
10 minutes ago, The_Ghost said:

So a players performance is constant? Is that what younger saying? A player can’t be better or worse from one season to the next? 

No, I am saying we are shipping more goals at a much higher rate this season. There are many factors for this, like our defence leaving players unmarked 6 yards from goal, week after week.  

1 hour ago, Tammy's right foot said:

"I'd be very surprised if he starts as first choice more than 2 or 3 times again this season." 

That's what you said, and since then he has gone on to start all our games. Shift the goalposts as much as you like, you were wrong

Thank you.  Got a clue where you are going wrong here?
(It would have been obvious if you had read the previous sentence.)

7 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

Thank you.  Got a clue where you are going wrong here?
(It would have been obvious if you had read the previous sentence.)

I really don’t know why you bother. You made a claim that was always gonna be completely wrong. It was obviously wrong straight away, as I warned.

You’d be better off just accepting it. We all make wrong calls on here.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, LeBoeufsGolfBall said:

I really don’t know why you bother. You made a claim that was always gonna be completely wrong. It was obviously wrong straight away, as I warned.

You’d be better off just accepting it. We all make wrong calls on here.

Perhaps I just don't like being quoted incorrectly.  Sounds like you didn't read what I wrote either.

14 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

Perhaps I just don't like being quoted incorrectly.  Sounds like you didn't read what I wrote either.

I read it the same as everyone else did. It was proven wrong three days later in Valencia.

You choose to call it being rested. Well some degree of truth in that, presuming it works both ways of course and Kovacic is classed as rested when it comes to prove you are right ( we know that’s not how you will see it though)

Squad game these days and in this period. Another reason why it was a stupid comment that was always gonna be showed up to be wrong.

As for being misquoted. You are the master at selective/cropped quoting on here. Knowing full well the context and point gets lost to suit your counter position.

Just now, LeBoeufsGolfBall said:

I read it the same as everyone else did. It was proven wrong three days later in Valencia.

I really doubt that everyone else has failed to understand a straight forward sentence as you and Tammy's right foot have.  

Standard advice - write what you think.  How many games has Kovacic been picked this season so far as first choice?
How many more in the remainder of the season.
You might then understand your difficulty with what I have written.

15 minutes ago, LeBoeufsGolfBall said:

As for being misquoted. You are the master at selective/cropped quoting on here. Knowing full well the context and point gets lost to suit your counter position.

Seriously no.