• Current Donation Goals

Michael Tucker

Chelsea 2 Aston Villa 1

3 hours ago, paulw66 said:

No, I am saying we are shipping more goals at a much higher rate this season. There are many factors for this, like our defence leaving players unmarked 6 yards from goal, week after week.  

One reason is that Kepa has been pretty sub-standard all season. I’m sure there are other reasons as well. But to pretend his performances has nothing to do with it is a bit rich I reckon. 

He was decent last season. He’s been poor this season. 

Leo91   

Everyone's been shipping in goals. Alisson and Emerson have dropped off as well. 

Blue Rod   

We were technically in another planet from Aston Villa. So.how did we end up clinging on to victory. It came down to what I've been banging about this last couple of weeks. I can see that Frank and Jody have done a lot of work on the technical side of the team. But competitive sport is 40% technique and 60% power and speed. The sooner Frank and the boys realise this, the better for Chelsea. 

paulw66   
2 hours ago, The_Ghost said:

One reason is that Kepa has been pretty sub-standard all season. I’m sure there are other reasons as well. But to pretend his performances has nothing to do with it is a bit rich I reckon. 

When did I say his performances had nothing to do with it? 

That's rich.

13 hours ago, paulw66 said:

We conceded 39 league goals last season, at near enough 1 per game.

We have conceded 21 in 15 so far, which is 53 pro rata. Our goalkeeper hasn't changed, so something else has. 

8 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

When did I say his performances had nothing to do with it? 

That's rich.

2 hours ago, The_Ghost said:

Indeed. I think a lot of us who criterise Kepa conceed he is not at fault for all our goals. I personally think, like Derby last season, we are awful at defending against the counter as we over commit and we do not have enough protection from midfield. I have raised the point on numberous occasions that the ball goes front to back against us far too quickly.

From my prespective we need another player in CM to help us with this as I think Kante, Kova and Jorgi as a three are too lightweight whilst Mount is still learning the game and has primarily been playing as a AM this season. Outside of those players we only have Barkley who is dire and RLC who does no work off the ball and is always crocked. In my opinion, I think we should be looking at a SMS or Nditi type player to replace Barkley in the squad. That I think would help us a lot against the counter. 

However, whilst the rate we are conceeding goals is for a variety of reasons, Kepa has also been very poor at times and I think some people are in denial about it. Goals like those last night and the first against Valencia get batted away by some posters who say that it is the defence, when in actual fact he should be doing more. Personally, I really cannot understand how some people think that his inability to control his six yard area is acceptable or not his fault. You read on here a lot that 'he couldn't come for it because it was flat' or 'he could not come for it because he did not know where it was going exactly' or 'the ball was whipped in too fast'. When I hear that, I just think, so what? That is what every GK in top level football had to deal with and you do not see them all stuck on their line constantly. This however is happening to him nearly every other game. 

Further, when he conceeds goals like Valencia's first and then seeing him being lauded for saves like those against Watford and last night, I am also confused at the bar that is being set for him, as those are saves you expect a decent GK to make, whilst you should also expect that a decent GK to keep out shots directly at him. 

For me, Kepa does pull out some outragous saves like the one against the Dippers in the SC and the Valencia penalty which I think makes a lot of people think, well he has to be world class to do that. Problem however for GK's is that the concentration and fundermentals are absolutely key, with the rest being bonuses. For me personally, I rather he controls his area properly and stops palming in shots and doesn't make the saves mentioned above as controlling his area and saving shots like the first against Valencia is much more important as these are the types of things he has to deal with on a more regular basis. 

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, King Kante said:

From my prespective we need another player in CM to help us with this as I think Kante, Kova and Jorgi as a three are too lightweight whilst Mount is still learning the game and has primarily been playing as a AM this season.

He really hasn't.  Other than 3 games perhaps.  He has played the No 8 role that 3 players alternated in last season and been doing it a lot better than any of them could.
The No8 taking free kicks, getting goals and getting alongside the striker or outside the winger is not an original idea.  Same instructions as Barkley/RLC/Kovacic got last year.

We are playing exactly the same formation as last year. FBs advance similarly, all 3 midfield roles are played the same way.  When we want a goal the No 8 pushes up to No 10, and the other midfielder goes level with Jorginho.  When we don't the midfield lines up as a V.  Pulisic moves almost identically to Hazard - except that he doesn't stop play to announce his next magic trick.
The only difference is that we are in attack mode more frequently even when we have a lead to protect.  

Sarri really did transform the old Conte format and deserves a lot of credit for how we are playing to the same format this season.  Too much off message?

Edited by Droy was my hero

kev61   
2 hours ago, Blue Rod said:

We were technically in another planet from Aston Villa. So.how did we end up clinging on to victory. It came down to what I've been banging about this last couple of weeks. I can see that Frank and Jody have done a lot of work on the technical side of the team. But competitive sport is 40% technique and 60% power and speed. The sooner Frank and the boys realise this, the better for Chelsea. 

Which brings me nicely to the jorginho question - technically good with no power/speed? - he fails at every level - but I have a personal dislike of him....what utter nonsense!.

7 hours ago, King Kante said:

Indeed. I think a lot of us who criterise Kepa conceed he is not at fault for all our goals. I personally think, like Derby last season, we are awful at defending against the counter as we over commit and we do not have enough protection from midfield. I have raised the point on numberous occasions that the ball goes front to back against us far too quickly.

However, whilst the rate we are conceeding goals is for a variety of reasons, Kepa has also been very poor at times and I think some people are in denial about it. Goals like those last night and the first against Valencia get batted away by some posters who say that it is the defence, when in actual fact he should be doing more. Personally, I really cannot understand how some people think that his inability to control his six yard area is acceptable or not his fault. You read on here a lot that 'he couldn't come for it because it was flat' or 'he could not come for it because he did not know where it was going exactly' or 'the ball was whipped in too fast'. When I hear that, I just think, so what? That is what every GK in top level football had to deal with and you do not see them all stuck on their line constantly. This however is happening to him nearly every other game. 

Further, when he conceeds goals like Valencia's first and then seeing him being lauded for saves like those against Watford and last night, I am also confused at the bar that is being set for him, as those are saves you expect a decent GK to make, whilst you should also expect that a decent GK to keep out shots directly at him. 

For me, Kepa does pull out some outragous saves like the one against the Dippers in the SC and the Valencia penalty which I think makes a lot of people think, well he has to be world class to do that. Problem however for GK's is that the concentration and fundermentals are absolutely key, with the rest being bonuses. For me personally, I rather he controls his area properly and stops palming in shots and doesn't make the saves mentioned above as controlling his area and saving shots like the first against Valencia is much more important as these are the types of things he has to deal with on a more regular basis. 

Spot on. 

3 hours ago, paulw66 said:

Still looking 

You say the keeper is the same so something else must have changed. I think you’re pretty clear it’s not Kepa’s ability or lack of performance.