• Current Donation Goals

Michael Tucker

Chelsea 2 Aston Villa 1

9 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

He really hasn't.  Other than 3 games perhaps.  He has played the No 8 role that 3 players alternated in last season and been doing it a lot better than any of them could.
The No8 taking free kicks, getting goals and getting alongside the striker or outside the winger is not an original idea.  Same instructions as Barkley/RLC/Kovacic got last year.

We are playing exactly the same formation as last year. FBs advance similarly, all 3 midfield roles are played the same way.  When we want a goal the No 8 pushes up to No 10, and the other midfielder goes level with Jorginho.  When we don't the midfield lines up as a V.  Pulisic moves almost identically to Hazard - except that he doesn't stop play to announce his next magic trick.
The only difference is that we are in attack mode more frequently even when we have a lead to protect.  

Sarri really did transform the old Conte format and deserves a lot of credit for how we are playing to the same format this season.  Too much off message?

No not really. I would say it was Conte who made the bigger changes, Sarri went back to something similar that we were doing pre Conte. We have had high level technical players for the last 20 years, the reason they play for Chelsea is because they have very good technical ability on the ball. Sarri introduce some subtle changes with players very capable of doing it. He did nothing revolutionary and to try and claim he is deserving of specific credit for high quality technical players being able to pass the ball around well , its frankly quite ridiculous.

Imagine how difficult it must be to try and coach Luiz, Jorginho , Kovacic, Azpilicueta, RLC, Hazard, Pedro, Willian to keep the ball, play a possession based football and try to move the opposition around and take advantage of the spaces created. It must have blown their tiny minds , they must have thought Johan Cryuff had arrived as coach!

Edited by LeBoeufsGolfBall

chelboy   
8 minutes ago, LeBoeufsGolfBall said:

No not really. I would say it was Conte who made the bigger changes, Sarri went back to something similar that we were doing pre Conte. We have had high level technical players for the last 20 years, the reason they play for Chelsea is because they have very good technical ability on the ball. Sarri introduce some subtle changes with players very capable of doing it. He did nothing revolutionary and to try and claim he is deserving of specific credit for high quality technical players being able to pass the ball around well , its frankly quite ridiculous.

Imagine how difficult it must be to try and coach Luiz, Jorginho , Kovacic, Azpilicueta, RLC, Hazard, Pedro, Willian to keep the ball, play a possession based football and try to move the opposition around and take advantage of the spaces created. It must have blown their tiny minds !

Yeah compare it to what the Brighton coach has done with how they play football now. I didn’t think they had the ability to be that good on the ball. They move the ball very well especially considering how technically limited some of those players are. 

paulw66   
1 hour ago, LeBoeufsGolfBall said:

No not really. I would say it was Conte who made the bigger changes, Sarri went back to something similar that we were doing pre Conte.

Conte and Mourinho played the same way. Cede the ball, win it back, counter attack. 

Sarri changed that completely to a possession dominated game. 

From Mourinho to Conte, there was little change, apart from the tweak of system. 

Blue Rod   
8 hours ago, kev61 said:

Which brings me nicely to the jorginho question - technically good with no power/speed? - he fails at every level - but I have a personal dislike of him....what utter nonsense!.

The personal dislike nonsense is branded about by people who have little else to say. Granted it was only Villa, but Kante in the middle just made us look a lot less fragile. Yes we sacrificed Jorginho's passes, but people forget that Kante can hit some of the most pinpoint long, short and middle range passes. He is just a lot more careful with the ball and less daring. It is also worth noting that Jorginho's assist rate is pretty average, despite his pass stats. 

We do need to find a solution to the Jorginho - Kante conundrum.  Ignoring it is not an option, nor is accusing people of having a personal dislike to either player. 

50 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Conte and Mourinho played the same way. Cede the ball, win it back, counter attack. 

Sarri changed that completely to a possession dominated game. 

From Mourinho to Conte, there was little change, apart from the tweak of system. 

My point is we have numerous players who are very comfortable playing possesion based football. If they lacked the ability to hold onto the ball , receive the ball in tight spaces and use the ball well, they simply wouldn't be at Chelsea or have very short careers here. For the last 20 years, we as a club have had these type of players, Sarri just go them to focus on it more.

Conte on the other hand at least coached things and made a significant difference. He implemented 3 at the back and coached the team so well that it went on that crazy run of something like 12 straight wins. He also coached two wing backs to play the role fantastically well, he coached players with fairly limited ability in the like of Moses, Alonso to be week in week out first team regulars and title winners. Yes, there was a strong focus on counter attack like under JM, but overall he still changed far more and had a far greater impact than what Sarri had.

Lampard is also having far greater impact on Chelsea (so far) than Sarri had too.He has improved the style of play, he has improved individual players and he has improved our dominance (in an attacking sense, not a control of the game sense) in a very short period of time.

So overall and its just my opinion, Sarri deserves very little credit for what is happening right now. High quality technical players will always be comfortable in possession, its actually what they want do.

2 hours ago, LeBoeufsGolfBall said:

???  So Conte took us from style A to B, and then Sarri reversed us back to A. But somehow Conte's changes were greater than Sarris.

Do you ever start with observation before conclusion?

11 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

He really hasn't.  Other than 3 games perhaps.  He has played the No 8 role that 3 players alternated in last season and been doing it a lot better than any of them could.
The No8 taking free kicks, getting goals and getting alongside the striker or outside the winger is not an original idea.  Same instructions as Barkley/RLC/Kovacic got last year.

We are playing exactly the same formation as last year. FBs advance similarly, all 3 midfield roles are played the same way.  When we want a goal the No 8 pushes up to No 10, and the other midfielder goes level with Jorginho.  When we don't the midfield lines up as a V.  Pulisic moves almost identically to Hazard - except that he doesn't stop play to announce his next magic trick.
The only difference is that we are in attack mode more frequently even when we have a lead to protect.  

Sarri really did transform the old Conte format and deserves a lot of credit for how we are playing to the same format this season.  Too much off message?

When Mount plays we primarilly play a 4231 formation with him in the 10 role. This formation is fluid so sometimes this shifts and he ends up as an No.8 but he for the vast majority of the time he plays No.10. I didn't mean he played as a winger, although he has done that on the odd occasion.

16 minutes ago, King Kante said:

When Mount plays we primarilly play a 4231 formation with him in the 10 role. This formation is fluid so sometimes this shifts and he ends up as an No.8 but he for the vast majority of the time he plays No.10. I didn't mean he played as a winger, although he has done that on the odd occasion.

Fluid  - yes.  Same as last year.  We do play a mixed system where the "no8" can play alongside Kante/other CM or can push further forward.  But then Kante can do exactly the same this year and last.  It is the scoreline or our wish to attack that changes this, not the basic system.  We played this exactly the same way last season, though we were less aggressive in choosing when to go forward and no one did the No8 role well.

I think what you are conveniently forgetting is that Kovacic played exactly the same role as Barkley and RLC last year, he just isn't particularly suited to it.

22 minutes ago, King Kante said:

When Mount plays we primarilly play a 4231 formation with him in the 10 role.

No - most minutes of most games it is 433.  Perhaps you have forgotten the first 4 months of the season already.

40 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

???  So Conte took us from style A to B, and then Sarri reversed us back to A. But somehow Conte's changes were greater than Sarris.

Do you ever start with observation before conclusion?

Yes precisely. I have explained in my other posts to Paul.

Now is a perfect scenario for Sarri doubters like myself. Normally so much context applies to prove/disprove a managers performance, but that don't really apply with Sarri now.

He has taken over the biggest club in Italy, who have won I think its 8 titles in a row, who have competed in the latter stages of the CL, who have by far the biggest and best squad in Italy and one of the best in Europe. The success level is incredibly high, he needs to win the league and get to semi's of CL at least. That's what his predecessor managed during his tenure.

So its set up perfectly for him to have great success. Absolutely no excuses.........lets see how he gets on.......the luck they have had on their side at times so far this season will run out.

Edited by LeBoeufsGolfBall

13 minutes ago, LeBoeufsGolfBall said:

Yes precisely. I have explained in my other posts to Paul.

If your happy to say that...

13 minutes ago, LeBoeufsGolfBall said:

So its set up perfectly for him to have great success. Absolutely no excuses.........lets see how he gets on.......the luck they have had on their side at times so far this season will run out.

Sarri and Conte are on target now for 98 and 100 points.  A level only Conte has beaten once at Juve - no other Juve or Inter manager has got that far.
They are both doing exceptionally well and trying to belittle either performance can only be about personal subjectivism over-riding the obvious.

Both great managers.  Sarri is a great guy too.