• Current Donation Goals

Jasonb   
2 hours ago, The Psycho Pianist said:

The game is tomorrow just for reference!

Correct though looking at the next few fixtures it might have better being today!

1 hour ago, Leo91 said:

Need to get back on track with a win here. Villa are decent and I expect them to do similarly to West Ham and frustrate. 

I agree it is important to get a result otherwise the media will be onto Frank and just when the injuries are mounting up.

Villa do have some decent offensive players too.

Edited by Jasonb

4 hours ago, charlie_sw69 said:

Frank saying they will make a call on Tammy tomorrow. And expects to hear about the CAS decision in days.

Let's hope for good news on both!

I really do think we need some bodies in January, ideally a real top quality CB, a goalscoring CM and a striker who can also play wide if needed. Won't be easy in January, but I think this squad is showing signs of being stretched at the moment and the lack of quality in-depth and the inexperience of so many of our players is starting to show.

Blue Rod   
17 hours ago, MikelBlue said:

It also helps that they're playing less games (No CL football), don't have any injury crisis and don't have to overly rely on academy players unlike Frank who's squad is thin and mostly inexperienced meaning greater risk of inconsistent performances and lesser opportunities to rotate players during this congested fixture period.

He tried to freshen up the lineup with Giroud and Pedro which didn't work as hoped but he can only work with the players at his disposal. 

I think our slow attacking speed is a systemic problem rather than that of individual players. Let's not forget that Conte made the players run like crazy. It seems not all players liked the hard running. But the result was there to see. Second season, the speed dropped and the difference was clear.  Sarri brought in a lot of possession. But even in those key matches that we did well under Sarri, more often it was speed rather than possession that stood us out. It's hard to find any reason why a team of young players should lack speed in counter attack. 

Edited by Blue Rod

1 hour ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

I really do think we need some bodies in January, ideally a real top quality CB, a goalscoring CM and a striker who can also play wide if needed. Won't be easy in January, but I think this squad is showing signs of being stretched at the moment and the lack of quality in-depth and the inexperience of so many of our players is starting to show.

We don't need bodies - we already have too many.  There are 6 or 7 from which everyone can name their personal 4 or 5 to get rid of.  But there is little point just getting in replacement dead wood.  What we need are star quality players who will be regular starters.

That means 1.  Some are going to be very disappointed as some of the youngsters get squeezed out
and                2.  They should be players that can potentially push us up from 4th next year, not just keep us there this year
and                3.  They won't really be necessary till next summer by when they will be a lot lot easier to identify and sign. 

We are well short of that "final piece in the jigsaw moment", the January window is not key for us.  

5 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

What we need are star quality players who will be regular starters.

5 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

January window is not key for us. 

This. We have enough promising young players and our association trained ratio is looking good. Now we need starting 11 quality players.

Having said that, and maybe I'm just showing my lack of non-Premier League knowledge, but there does seem to be a dearth of top quality players available on the market. Back when the Drogba/Terry/Lamps team needed refreshing, there were the likes of 20 year old Aguero, 26 year old David Villa and twenty something Modric whom we were all linked with, all world class and who would have walked into the team and improved us straight away. Nowadays there seems to be many more clubs with a lot of money, the top players who would improve us like Koulibaly, Mbappe, Leroy Sane etc seem tied down to their clubs or just unattainable for us. Leaving us the only option of buying more young players with world class potential types like Sancho or Chilwell, and I'm not sure we need more of those.

Regardless I trust the club, the board and our scouts even after the disastrous transfers of the past few years under Conte (for which I hold the club responsible, not the manager). Summer will be exciting for sure

Holymoly   

It will be interesting to see if Petr can make a similar immediate impact like Frank has.

8 hours ago, Tammy's right foot said:

, but there does seem to be a dearth of top quality players available on the market.

I think we are in a strange world right now where the best young players in the world are not from Africa, not from  Belgium, not from S America, but  from England!!

Regardless I trust the club, the board and our scouts even after the disastrous transfers of the past few years under Conte (for which I hold the club responsible, not the manager). Summer will be exciting for sure

Funny how so many of the players we bought in that disastrous period came out of Serie A, and how few before and since.  

Jasonb   

Having said that, and maybe I'm just showing my lack of non-Premier League knowledge, but there does seem to be a dearth of top quality players available on the market. Back when the Drogba/Terry/Lamps team needed refreshing, there were the likes of 20 year old Aguero, 26 year old David Villa and twenty something Modric whom we were all linked with, all world class and who would have walked into the team and improved us straight away. Nowadays there seems to be many more clubs with a lot of money, the top players who would improve us like Koulibaly, Mbappe, Leroy Sane etc seem tied down to their clubs or just unattainable for us. Leaving us the only option of buying more young players with world class potential types like Sancho or Chilwell, and I'm not sure we need more of those.

Not sure I agree, when Frank came here it seemed a gamble and when Didier came here he didn't immediately look the real deal. Seems to be a factor certain managers can see in certain players to bring them on a level.

One exception for me was Ashley Cole who from day one excelled.

Another factor why we are more careful is we have been the graveyard for a number of players, Torres, Shevchenko, Sutton, Fleck, Kezman and the ones that got away, Salah and KDB.

48 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

I think we are in a strange world right now where the best young players in the world are not from Africa, not from  Belgium, not from S America, but  from England!!

Funny how so many of the players we bought in that disastrous period came out of Serie A, and how few before and since.  

In fairness to Conte , we didn't actually buy that many from Serie A under his tenure and they have also generally been a success.

Rudiger has been a success, Alonso has to go down as a success, Emerson for what he cost has been a good buy ( I think that was under Conte) .

The only disappointment was Zappacosta who was nothing more than a squad player really. I suspect he was relatively low down the pecking order on the list of targets, but was the most easily accessible and was signed off late in the day to keep Conte relatively happy.....though that seems very difficult to do unless he gets his own way with everything!