• Current Donation Goals

Michael Tucker

Chelsea 2 Aston Villa 1

RE: Alonso. I am a big fan of Alonso but have accepted that he is very flawed in a back 4; primarily because of his lack of speed/acceleration. Personally, I am of the opinion that outside of the AM's and CF's he is our biggest goal threat and I do think we miss that, for instance he won us two points against Newcastle. 

This opinion was also why in pre-season I was advocating the return to 343 as I felt that a) Alonso would score and assist better than any of our CM's (bar maybe RLC, but lets face it by the time he comes back it is likely the season will be at least 2/3rds done) and b) I was very worried about our ability to defend and I felt that Luiz when given the central CB role to play sweeper, was one of the best players in the league when playing there (I am still of this opinion.) 

Unfortuantly, we sold Luiz so that completely blew apart any chance of playing 343/352 properly as for that system to function properly it requires a baller at CB, which we no longer have. 

Anyways, Alonso for me is a very good player in a WB role but we have no chance of playing a formation to fit him in properly as we no longer have Luiz, which consequently makes 343/352 very pedestrian. 

Team to start: 

Kepa

James Zouma AC Dave

Kante Kova Mount 

Willian Tammy Puli

I am happy with AC, Kante and Tammy starting. 

29 minutes ago, King Kante said:

bar maybe RLC, but lets face it by the time he comes back it is likely the season will be at least 2/3rds done

I think he is back and at normal fitness levels.  Injured.  CHO is 5 years ahead of RLC in so many ways.

primarily because of his lack of speed/acceleration.

There are two things here.  1 to 1 against a fast attacker he can be made to look silly - but frankly in that situation there are very very few who don't.  Azpi is at times, Emerson is, most are except the likes of Ashley Cole, a World Class player  (who hardly ever got forward like Alonso - it was always Ivanovic who did that).

But put in the positions that Alonso is put in, even Cole (even Dorigo) wouldn't get back.  He is committed forward and it is up to the others to cover for him.  

Edit - I'm just watching the WHU game and guess what, Creswell scores for WHU from a position he has no expectation of ever getting back from.

Unfortuantly, we sold Luiz so that completely blew apart any chance of playing 343/352 properly as for that system to function properly it requires a baller at CB, which we no longer have. 

Mostly it requires Costa and Hazard upfront to make it happen on their own.  As soon as you start with 3 CBs in the team you can forget team play.

Edited by Droy was my hero

JaneB   
20 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Our home form really has been dog poo

💩

3 minutes ago, King Kante said:

Team to start: 

Kepa

James Zouma AC Dave

Kante Kova Mount 

Willian Tammy Puli

I am happy with AC, Kante and Tammy starting. 

A lot of rotation except for CHO.  Good to see Tammy back, though the bruising should be simply a case of pain - something that footballers have to live with.

Just now, Leo91 said:

Bit quiet in here !?

That what I was thinking, still 1-0 up with another Tammy goal

It's amazing they're literally on their second ever night of football and Amazon already disappointed that Tammy was onside. (by miles too)