• Current Donation Goals

chelboy   
34 minutes ago, Jasonb said:

Perhaps Frank was testing our squad before dipping into the transfer market and perhaps Tomori needed a rest.

I read a comment about our lack of decent scouting as Everton's first goal was a carbon copy of a recent one scored against Southampton.

I can understand testing the squad but there was no rotation from Villa. It seemed as though he wants Christensen to partner Zouma which is odd considering the Zouma Tomori partnership was looking like the most reliable so far.

AC-KZ have played 3 of the last 5 games since int break.  The stats on the AC-KZ partnership dont lie and I am pretty sure most of our goals conceded have come from that pair playing together. Valencia was the obvious last warning about the pair. We got away with it against Villa who are probably one of the poorest attacking sides but any decent attack can prey on the weakness of that partnership.

I had seen enough games before the Everton game to know the partnership doesn’t work especially when Zouma has played better at RCB all season. I can’t understand why we would bring in Christensen then switch Zouma to LCB. If Christensen is coming in for Tomori then it should be as LCB. As I said before I am not a huge fan of switching and fiddling with the defence every so often especially one as fragile as ours. Frank should have known better than causing that mess. 

36 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

It was a VAR observed incident, part of the goal.  The bar is pretty low for VAR.  Yesterday's game should have had 5 or 6 yellows.  

I didn’t feel it was a dirty game, hard but generally fair.

It wasn’t a criticism by the way, fouls are often subjective and your bar is very low. You often talk about cards post games, that imo are just not card worthy.

I think you were in the minority who thought Watford deserved that penalty against us. It was literally you and Mr Bartlett only and even Mike Riley has come out and said that was a mistake call from VAR.

So you do set a low bar for fouls and it would be card crazy every game on your barometer.

Mark this one down to the manager. He’s messed about with an already suspect defence and is resting a midfield player who helps make our ‘work’. 

It looks to me as though he’s trying to find a way to fit James and ‘Dave’ into our defence and that’s destroying our balance. 

Zouma has the unfortunate knack of finding the wrong place to be when defending crosses and as for the third goal, it would be an insult to schoolboy defenders to call it that. I was there and he looked at Kepa, then as soon as Kepa releases the pass to him he turns away and runs away from the ball. 

Both the Centre-halves got bullied by Calvert-Lewin. He didn’t get a kick against Lovren in the week. 

Frank has got what he’s got to play with, however he’s gotta go with the best we’ve got and now reinforce the weak areas in January, if possible and assuming we can get in the targets we have. 

11 minutes ago, LeBoeufsGolfBall said:

I didn’t feel it was a dirty game, hard but generally fair.

It wasn’t a criticism by the way, fouls are often subjective and your bar is very low. You often talk about cards post games, that imo are just not card worthy.

I think you were in the minority who thought Watford deserved that penalty against us. It was literally you and Mr Bartlett only and even Mike Riley has come out and said that was a mistake call from VAR.

So you do set a low bar for fouls and it would be card crazy every game on your barometer.

First when VAR is used, they do use a low VAR bar.  Essentially the "excuse" for real time refs is they can't be sure so don't give it.  That excuse disappears for VAR.

Yellow cards yesterday 3 were given by the ref.  Not given was Sidibe's elbow push on Pulisic certainly deserved another (given as a foul by Pulisic - shove by neck on elbow I presume).  Calvert-Lewin's elbow on Christensen  was another.  So that is 5 already.

But my real gripe were the 10 or so simply wrong decisions where blatant shoves by Everton were ignored, falling over by Everton was given.  They have a neat trick of throwing themselves onto the ground between oppo and ball and claiming a free kick.  Refs are supposed to be smarter.  (And Chelsea need to be more physical to match).

6 minutes ago, East Lower said:

Mark this one down to the manager. 

Shhhh.
I think the simple truth is that we have a style of play that looks better than it gets results.  Like Chelsea of the 70s or 90s.  The praise of a few weeks ago was over done.  No point in getting too critical now.

The fact is apart from Rudiger the center backs are not good enough, although I do have hopes for Tomori as time goes on. 

We have a very promising right back, but Apzi is on the decline, so taking this all into consideration our back line is incapable of playing out from the back and this is causing so many defensive mistakes.

Love Lamps but its a mystery to me why Tomori and Jorghino have suddenly been out of favor, I am all for rotation but bringing in Christensen for Tomori this past 2 games has been puzzling.

Edited by Phoenix Blue
grammar

1 minute ago, Phoenix Blue said:

and Apzi is on the decline,

Lapzing perhaps.

1 minute ago, Phoenix Blue said:

Love Lamps but its a mystery to me why Tomori and Jorghino have suddenly been out of favor,

I have the feeling some of the rotation is simply because he should be giving Christensen and Kovacic games, if only to be fair to them.  Top managers don't do that.  Middling managers only do it till the first time they are sacked.  Cech or Maka should have a word.

5 minutes ago, Phoenix Blue said:

The fact is apart from Rudiger the center backs are not good enough, although I do have hopes for Tomori as time goes on. 

We have a very promising right back, but Apzi is on the decline, so taking this all into consideration our back line is incapable of playing out from the back and this is causing so many defensive mistakes.

Love Lamps but its a mystery to me why Tomori and Jorghino have suddenly been out of favor, I am all for rotation but bringing in Christensen for Tomori this past 2 games has been puzzling.

I think we are probably just overthinking things a little.

Tomori has done very well, but there were signs that an error was coming from him. I think Lamps just took him out for a couple of games to probably reset and get Tomori to focus more. Christensen did quite well on Wednesday, but then flopped yesterday. I expect Tomori will be back from Tuesday.

Same with Jorginho really. I think we lose a bit of our attacking threat playing all three centre mids. Kante has to play majority of games as most important. Kovacic form has been excellent and he offers more recovery pace without the ball and more pace and energy with the ball. He has had to be starting due to form.

Jorginho done nothing wrong really, just unfortunate the form of the other two is so high and he the least physical and slower option of the three. I don’t believe either of them are out of favour. 

14 minutes ago, LeBoeufsGolfBall said:

I think we are probably just overthinking things a little.

Tomori has done very well, but there were signs that an error was coming from him. I think Lamps just took him out for a couple of games to probably reset and get Tomori to focus more. Christensen did quite well on Wednesday, but then flopped yesterday. I expect Tomori will be back from Tuesday.

Same with Jorginho really. I think we lose a bit of our attacking threat playing all three centre mids. Kante has to play majority of games as most important. Kovacic form has been excellent and he offers more recovery pace without the ball and more pace and energy with the ball. He has had to be starting due to form.

Jorginho done nothing wrong really, just unfortunate the form of the other two is so high and he the least physical and slower option of the three. I don’t believe either of them are out of favour. 

Plus , haven't we got Lille on Tuesday ?

Maybe SFL was ensuring they're both fresh for possibly our biggest game of the season?

2 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

Plus , haven't we got Lille on Tuesday ?

Maybe SFL was ensuring they're both fresh for possibly our biggest game of the season?

Yeah I think both will start on Tuesday. Tomori I would be certain of starting. Jorginho will likely come back in too.

That one less obvious because Kovacic probably MOTM for the last 3-4 games ( maybe bar West Ham as I only seen highlights on that game), but he probably is due a rest.