• Current Donation Goals

Leo91   

We lost control after the subs. The first 60 minutes were pure dominance.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Leo91 said:

This team lacks bit of killer instinct. We are a bit soft but to be fair that has been our problem for a number of years. 

Not sure how to rectify this and with the age profile of the squad it won’t come over night. 

Sure we can go out and buy older heads for the short-term, but don’t think that would be the right long-term move for us. 

Bison   
1 hour ago, Leo91 said:

Pure dominance of Lille's reserves who couldn't be arsed for 70 minutes.

Blue Rod   

A huge relieve. We still have to work out why we cannot kill off a match that we have dominated. I think we tend to overplay a little bit. Our skill on the ball is second to no other team. But that may be the problem; when one touch and a pass and move would have sufficed, we run with the ball or dribble into a dead alley. 

9 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

haha

My bad , the line up shown on the screen showed him on the right of the two and I honestly thought he'd played much better , probably because he was partnered by Rudi . Lol.

1 hour ago, Leo91 said:

37 minutes ago, Bison said:

Pure dominance of Lille's reserves who couldn't be arsed for 70 minutes.

Yes to both.

I commented in the match day forum that at around the 58 minute mark , little errors started creeping into our play , I think it was mental exhaustion more than anything  but I agree , we were dominant for the first hour but also it was their reserves who played well within themselves.

However , I think it must be said that given the transfer ban and lack of real quality throughout the squad , we are still punching above our weight , I'd like to see us actually beat a decent side instead of pushing them close but faltering at the last,  but, so far so good in my opinion .

Plus our games are now eminently watchable , unlike the recent snoozefests. 

paulw66   
10 hours ago, NoblyBobly said:

Ok, I think Aspi had a great game, scored a good goal and showed strong leadership on the pitch. I think Lampard has shown surprisingly strong leadership this season for someone finding his feet in management and has made some big decisions...I trust in him to continue that. 

My original  point did address the issue because you dont get where we are in the league and finish above Ajax in CL by having a soft belly and no leadership. We needed to win tonight and we did. 

As for the future I see Ruddi back at long last,  I see Pulisic looking a bit Hazadesque, I see yet another goal from Tammy and I see a transfer window approaching where we can actually buy someone. If I had a magic wand Id change our keeper and get Kante to hold his position and do what he's best at. My glass is however half full. 

4 clean sheets in 25 is a worry. We are very soft at the heart of defence, and in our play in general. I have commented a few times on how few free kicks we concede and yellow cards we get. All too nice. Another worrying trend is the fact in the PL is we lose if the oppo score first. This also points to a lack of character / leadership. 

Don't get me wrong, we are in a better position than most expected, but the recent form is a worry, and we look no closer to remedying our very porous defence. 

As for last night......great we won, but let's be honest, we were playing the second string of a team who had 1 point from 5, and we scraped by. Happy we got through a tricky group, but there is a lot to be done. Bournemouth at home then later in the month we have two North London Derbies, by which time, an ex Chelsea boss will be in charge of both  :-( 

paulw66   
1 hour ago, Mark Kelly said:

However , I think it must be said that given the transfer ban and lack of real quality throughout the squad , we are still punching above our weight , I'd like to see us actually beat a decent side instead of pushing them close but faltering at the last,  but, so far so good in my opinion .

We only lost 2 players who contributed much from last season's squad, one of which was entirely our (Frank's) choice, when he went for Tomori and Zouma over Luiz.

Yes, Hazard is a big loss obviously, but we have added 7 first team players to last year's squad due to the unique position we were in with our loan army.  

I would argue overall, there is little to choose between the squads of 2018/19 and 2019/20......

GK - no change

DEF - Luiz and Cahill* for Tomori and Zouma, plus James for Zappacosta*.....overall, would say this year on paper is stronger but less expereinced 

MID - identical but added Mount, and Drinkwater*

WING - lost Hazard, gained Pulisic, obvious downgrade but still a £58m replacement.

STR - Abraham and Batshuayi replace half a season of Morata and half of Higuain. Significant upgrade - Abraham has more league goals now than those two did combined last season.

*starred players either didn't play at all, or barely. 

I don't buy this lack of quality argument, certainly not in comparison to last season's squad. 

paulw66   
11 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

That made 2 managers we did well to get rid off early.

Completely off topic but came across this when tidying up and thought of you. 

Inccredibly, the back page is an advert for Malboro. How times change. 

DSC_0001.JPG

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

My bad , the line up shown on the screen showed him on the right of the two and I honestly thought he'd played much better , probably because he was partnered by Rudi . Lol.

My bad too - I seriously took it as deliberate sarcasm.  Dpn't know what that says about either of us.

19 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Completely off topic but came across this when tidying up and thought of you. 

Inccredibly, the back page is an advert for Malboro. How times change. 

Marlboro - my logo from last year - in honour of the Marlboro man who managed us.  
40p eh.  Price of a pint in those days.   Does anyone still buy programs?