• Current Donation Goals

Michael Tucker

Chelsea 0 Southampton 2

Holymoly   

Said this before but there seems to be a disconnect between defense midfield and attack. Another game where we have 66% possession and can't break down an organised defense. It's not a new phenomenon. We've been like this for years but before we had Hazard to pick us out of the ****. We can play against sides who set out to play but these occasions trip us up every time. Sign Ibrahimovic for the rest of the season and he could make the difference. In the meantime Frank needs to work hard to motivate the team against seemingly weaker sides. Disappointed. 

Lampard will come out with the same excuse, we need to start the game quicker and move the ball faster...

How about telling the players to stop passing it around at the back and look forward, Azpi is allowed the ball all day long because he can't cross or he will go backwards, time to let James take his place.

Sure it’s good to beat Spurs. But it’s also good to beat Sheffield United, West Ham, Everton, Bournemouth and Soton. Spurs game looking now like an outlier. 

Maybe a massive injection of talent in January can salvage this. But really not sure that Frank knows what he’s doing. That was one of the most suicidal managerial displays I’ve seen in a while. Really disappointing. 

chelboy   

Like I said I didn’t fear Tottenham or Arsenal games but I feared this game. Its clear as daylight we struggle with creativity against parked buses. It really shows how much we relied on Hazard to break teams down. Pulisic is our most creative player he must by all means start these type of games. 

Yes we did miss Kova but Pulisic has to play no.10 in these games. 442 diamond would be the best solution with Pulisic no.10.

343 was never going to work against parked buses. I don’t see how we break teams down in that formation. 

I am yet to see Jorg have a good game since the int break. He dropped off this time last season too. He probably needs a winter break.

its frustrating but I could see this result coming. Especially with that team sheet and formation. 

Jasonb   

I think Frank went with 3 CBs as we have been conceding goals and against Spurs we didn't concede.

Today we were missing Kovacic, James and Alonso so why does he the make another unenforced change with CHO. He should have started with Mount. 

I sometimes think Frank has forgotten the team  needs to fight to win matches like he used to have to do as a player at places like Stoke and Burnley.

Young team, not many great pros, this team will have good runs and bad runs.  It seems Spurs was not a turning of the corner.

No one had a good game at all.
but then I don't think anyone actually had a stinker.  Azpi was dreadful at crossing, but ok elsewhere.  Kepa made one good save but probably regrets coming so far off his line for their 2nd.  Mount would have been a lot better H1 as 3rd CM than he could be H2 as 2nd CF.  Given his instructions, I wonder why Bats wasn't brought on instead.

For once we really did play 3 at back, with neither FB part of the defence at anytime of the game.  Pity, the first goal came when Tomori sold himself completely in what was effectively LB, Zouma was beaten with some great skill at was was effectively LCB and Rudiger was off watching other players from an effective RB position.  AT 0-0, 30 mins.
This was far from the really effective psychological trick of playing an extra CB to make the players focus on not getting overextended going forward. This worked in reverse making the players far too confident.

We did at least adjust the Azpi role, H2 he played much narrower with usually the better crosser Willian outside.  CHO would have been better though.

1 hour ago, McCreadie said:

CHO has been pretty useless since he came back from injury. Even Kante is having a bad game.

No  - he was simply wildly overrated last year.  The only difference being he isn't getting much time against Europa or LC teams this year.  Still promising, but promising with contract, so no one is overhyping him anymore.

57 minutes ago, Bison said:

Is that 5 league defeats in 7 games?

Yup.  It is also 9 games in 4 and a half weeks - easy to predict we would struggle without mid-week breaks.

35 minutes ago, Leo91 said:

I really don't want to see Kante sitting with Jorgi again. Whats our win record with those two ? Kante's pressing from the front is where he needs to be. Odoi isn't up to it right now, leave him to the cup games. And don't ever play 5 at the back again at home.

Except they don't "sit" in front of 3 CBs.  Jorginho mostly sits in front of 2 CBs, and Kante pushes up or drops back according to need/opp/score.  They both push up in front of 3 CBs.  This restricts Jorginho who has less time to hit runs by forwards.

32 minutes ago, Ham said:

What on earth has happened to Kante? Just awful recently. 

I don't think so - except relative to recent years.  In his worst PL form I agree, but still very very good.

We have an issue with defensively set up teams. Most teams in the league have our number now and know how to set up.

Every time we come up against a team who set out to draw we struggle and with our weak defence you just know they will score on a break. 

Spurs tried to play to win and we shone, but not that many teams this year will think they can beat us so we need a plan B.

I hope we spend well in January , but I don't want to break up what I think is a developing great young team in a couple of seasons.

29 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

No  - he was simply wildly overrated last year.  The only difference being he isn't getting much time against Europa or LC teams this year.  Still promising, but promising with contract, so no one is overhyping him anymore.

No. He was overrated by some last year, but that has no bearing on my opinion of his performances this season, which have been poor. Southampton are barely Europa level. 

1 minute ago, McCreadie said:

No. He was overrated by some last year, but that has no bearing on my opinion of his performances this season, which have been poor. Southampton are barely Europa level. 

Southampton are much better than anything bar Arsenal that we met last year, Eintracht frankfurt included.  And we played much weaker teams against all but those two.
CHO was good against Newcastle.  And he might have been good if he'd stayed very wide right and just crossed (which was the role he was mostly given last year)..

We're all upset but it's a good time to remember that we suffered a transfer ban this season on top of losing our best player. That's without mentioning the disastrous 17-18 summer transfer window that set us back a good deal after we'd won the title.  The likes of Tammy, Mount and Tomori have stepped up in a big way but it's simply unfair of us to expect the consistency of seasoned professionals from them. This season is a write off and I won't judge Frank until he has a full summer transfer window and a hefty war chest to go with it. I expect us to spend at least 200 million NET on new players this January and Summer transfer windows (mainly in the summer as I can't see what good business we can do in the Jan).

• Like 1