• Current Donation Goals

exiledblue

Official: Willian Departs And Signs For Arsenal

1 minute ago, chara said:

Chelsea were very accommodating offering a two year deal but that wasn't enough?

Did we?
Willian said we did, and the club didn't contradict it (they never do, players and agents have always been free to imply our interest).

All we really know for sure is that negotiations were not complete.  And you can't really expect the club to commit to Willian for 3 years just as they are negotiating Harvetz Werner and Ziyech.
My guess is that the club said, look, we are considering other players, if you get a good club come in - go talk to them.  (Just as they have said as strongly or more strongly to about a dozen players).
I certainly wouldn't blame Willian for testing his options over the summer.  He played almost every game and played well.
Willian's staetment was smart - he made it clear that he was potentially on the market, without ever suggesting there was a serious fall out (and I doubt there was).

paulw66   
10 minutes ago, chara said:

Usually I wish departing effective and loyal long term Chelsea players the best of luck and a "Thank You" but the whole Willian saga has left me feeling a bit uneasy. Something a bit odd about the whole deal.

Chelsea were very accommodating offering a two year deal but that wasn't enough?...If he really wanted to stay at SB surely that would have been a sufficient offer?...if he was still producing after two years another year might have been forthcoming or at least negotiable.

Sorry..left a bad taste.

I agree, although we don't know the full extent of the 2 year offer on the table

bearing in mind Ziyech, Werner, and now Havertz are incoming, I think we would have found it hard to offer Willian the same wages as he was on, when his role next season would have been reduced. 

It could well be the 3 years at Arsenal will net him double what he would have got here. Then it becomes a serious decision 

chara   

Thanks guys... I appreciate players are real people and need to make decisions for the benefit of their families and the future....but I still irrationally dislike players leaving for Arse/Spuds....strangely enough Manure transfers bother me far less...and Liverpool is like going "abroad"!!   

1 hour ago, chara said:

...and Liverpool is like going "abroad"!!   

I still rue letting Spackman and Speedie go.  At the time they were the two that always played brilliantly when the team struggled, but got less noticed when they other performed well.  I knew immediately that they would both end up at Liverpool and they did (Speedie briefly being signed by Dalgleish twice in 6 months for Liverpool and Blackburn).

I don't like to see players I've any sort of emotional attachment to at Arsenal, but there's no bad taste left in my mouth. It doesn't seem to me that we pushed very hard to keep Willian or that we were desperate to do so, but he still stayed until the end of the season and contributed well when other players might have started protecting their own interests much earlier. He's left about as well as it's possible to leave.

Given he usually scores only a few PL goals a season and we have an amazing knack for conceding to players otherwise struggling for goals, I can't say I'm looking forward to Boxing Day!

chara   
2 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

I still rue letting Spackman and Speedie go.  At the time they were the two that always played brilliantly when the team struggled, but got less noticed when they other performed well.  I knew immediately that they would both end up at Liverpool and they did (Speedie briefly being signed by Dalgleish twice in 6 months for Liverpool and Blackburn).

Have to agree....I remember seeing the then Liverpool squad..or a lot of them...taking their ease in Puerto Banus back in the day and my Arsenal supporting step daughter sniffingly refering to .."..that XXX Spackman"......was always a favourite of mine as was Speedie....could make an argument that the two of them together had more fight in them than last terms squad put together!!Thinking about it Speedie even on the same side would have frightened them let alone being up against him!...ah memories....

2 hours ago, chara said:

Have to agree....I remember seeing the then Liverpool squad..or a lot of them...taking their ease in Puerto Banus back in the day and my Arsenal supporting step daughter sniffingly refering to .."..that XXX Spackman"......was always a favourite of mine as was Speedie....could make an argument that the two of them together had more fight in them than last terms squad put together!!Thinking about it Speedie even on the same side would have frightened them let alone being up against him!...ah memories....

Dixon was never the same thing without Speedie or Durie besides him.  I recall one early game of Durie's.  Dixon was being bullied as per usual at CF, so Durie called him over to RW (where he was playing instead of Nevin) and trots off to play CF for 5 mins.  Smashed hell out of the the CB that had been giving Dixon a hard time, then swapped back again and Dixon found it easy.  He'd only have been 21/22 at the time   Learned his football the hard way in Scotland.
Speedie's dribbling technique - kick ball, kick shins, then see who gets to the ball first.

chara   
1 hour ago, Droy was my hero said:

Dixon was never the same thing without Speedie or Durie besides him.  I recall one early game of Durie's.  Dixon was being bullied as per usual at CF, so Durie called him over to RW (where he was playing instead of Nevin) and trots off to play CF for 5 mins.  Smashed hell out of the the CB that had been giving Dixon a hard time, then swapped back again and Dixon found it easy.  He'd only have been 21/22 at the time   Learned his football the hard way in Scotland.
Speedie's dribbling technique - kick ball, kick shins, then see who gets to the ball first.

I have to slightly disagree/correct you there Droy.....was..kick shin then after the player had time to absorb the action..kick shin,  as an afterthought, kick ball....

Had to love the guy. With all the changes and improvements in the game one thing that never changes is fan appreciation of the 100% givers.....the list at SB is long and honourable...........my personal hero Bonetti on one leg at OT v Leeds....Frank Upton to JT and so many in between...a lost breed it seems....but just maybe not?

Two assists in his first game for Arsenal. 

Its a real shame he’s not here, he’ll win them quite a few points this season for sure. 

paulw66   
12 hours ago, The_Ghost said:

Two assists in his first game for Arsenal. 

Its a real shame he’s not here, he’ll win them quite a few points this season for sure. 

Had to move on at some point. Don't think he was worth a 3 year deal, and one game against the league's weakest team won't change that