Stats from the game

possession

Arsenal42% Chelsea 58%

shots

Arsenal 7 Chelsea 13

On target

Arsenal 2 Chelsea 4

complete turn around in 2nd half

Yep - complete turnaround second half. Hopefully this run of games has proven to Lampard once and for all that 523 ain't the way to play for a team with ambition. 

We are a 433/4231 kind of team, especially with the players we do have. There was a brief moment in time when a bunch of teams excperimented with 523/532/541 as a counter to Conte in his first season. Halfway through Conte's second they had pretty much all abonded it. There's a reason for that - there's simply no advantage whatsoever to play 5atb in this league. 

Lampard - just bin it mate. 

Jasonb   

We have an issue for me which is scoring against packed defenses.

We got lucky with the equaliser which was a keeper error handing Jorginho a tap-in.

Then on the counter we got the winner, when he got the ball Tammy had no-one near him and then laid it off to Willian.

We don't get this space against defensive sides typically at the Bridge so we still have a obstacle to overcome, do not be fooled,

1 hour ago, paulw66 said:

As for today, we only got back into it because their goalie did a superman,  scored by a player who was lucky to be on the pitch.  Before that we hadn't laid a glove on them. 

Really? Is that why we got back into it?

You can criticize Frank for going 3-4-3 to start with but you can't fault the decision to switch back to a 4-3-3 - or the moves to bring on CHO and Lamptey which definitely helped us even more.

We completely dominated them for two thirds of the game IMO. A manager's job during a game is to change things and its hard to fault Lampard today.

Lampard's supposed inexperience has us in the top 4 come the New Year and into the next round of the UCL. 

For a guy who is clearly feeling out a very tricky group of players he is doing much better than most expected.

Blue Rod   
14 minutes ago, Blue_In_Every_Way said:

You can criticize Frank for going 3-4-3 to start with but you can't fault the decision to switch back to a 4-3-3 - or the moves to bring on CHO and Lamptey which definitely helped us even more.

We completely dominated them for two thirds of the game IMO. A manager's job during a game is to change things and its hard to fault Lampard today.

Lampard's supposed inexperience has us in the top 4 come the New Year and into the next round of the UCL. 

For a guy who is clearly feeling out a very tricky group of players he is doing much better than most expected.

I'm not sure the change of formation made the most difference. What was obvious to me is that Arsenal, though technically inferior, looked the better team in first half merely by running faster and tackling harder than us. We did better in second half because, firstly we finally realised that we were  not in a training session, and secondly, Arsenal had run themselves into the ground. 

I think the hype may have caught our boys at some point. They now think they can win a match by just strolling. 

DannyLB   
4 hours ago, LeBoeufsGolfBall said:

I have generally stayed out of the Jorginho debate on the last 18 months. I agree with you in that the combinations between them creates us problems.

Jorginho is a fantastic leader on the pitch and player, but it’s becoming more and more apparent to me that he can’t be part of a team trying to win the league.

I can’t really be critical of him as it’s just genetics really. Too slow and too weak and he can’t really help that. The PL has too much space, is too open and ball gets turned over too often. You would need to supplement him with serious athletes who are fantastic footballers for it to really work. These players everyone wants and not easy to find.

Came on, completely changed the flow of the match and scored, but NOW you think posting this will hold water?! 

10 minutes ago, Blue Rod said:

I'm not sure the change of formation made the most difference. What was obvious to me is that Arsenal, though technically inferior, looked the better team in first half merely by running faster and tackling harder than us. We did better in second half because, firstly we finally realised that we were  not in a training session, and secondly, Arsenal had run themselves into the ground. 

I think the hype may have caught our boys at some point. They now think they can win a match by just strolling. 

I just have no idea where you are coming from with this. Do you really think we have players sitting there in the dressing room thinking they are great players and we can stroll through matches!

Of course they don’t, it’s a ridiculous comment. 

They were inspired and organised under a new manager and started the game far better than we did. 

Nothing to do with hype or players thinking they could stroll through the game.

Just now, DannyLB said:

Came on, completely changed the flow of the match and scored, but NOW you think posting this will hold water?! 

Yes he did. It’s something he can do time and time again, because he is a fantastic footballer.

My words are not a criticism if you read them. The PL gets quicker by the season, the standard gets better throughout the league, lesser teams can afford buying better players. Teams no longer come and put 11 behind the ball as often as they used to, the days of Allardyce playing percentage football for a draw have gone for this current cycle.

It means more space, quicker players, both teams being far more positive in their approach.

Jorginho is more than good enough to play for his choice of clubs, but the current cycle of English football means he is always going to create issues defensively because he is weak and has no pace and recovery speed. It’s clear in front of your eyes, I won’t argue about his talent, but his lack of athleticism is always gonna be a problem and I don’t believe you can win a league over 38 games in the PL with him in the team.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Martin1905 said:

He quite clearly made the wrong decision playing Tomori right back, which he quite clearly saw and changed. Do you really need that explaining?

And if you really think taking Tomori off when he did, rather than waiting a matter of minutes to check if Rudiger was ok, was the right thing to do then I'm gobsmacked. 

So you think I have an agenda against Lampard? My favourite ever Chelsea player, someone I've met on various occasions, have only good things to say about him as a player and a person and stated on this forum before Christmas last year that Sarri was irrelevant as he was only keeping the seat warm for Frank. Good one.

And I very much did. Doesnt change the fact that Frank got a fair bit wrong today, much like he did against Southampton.  Why does he seem to be immune from any criticism?

Nope still can't see any justification for the critisism, Tomori covered the left, Jorge on then a tweak with Lamptey a series of steps that worked, as it turned the game around

As to the Tomori sub compaining if if went wrong would be justified, however it didn't so your complaint seems a bit churlish. maybe the medical staff had a better handle on it ?

No Frank isn't immune from critisism nor should he be, however give Blue is my bloods excellent post on the Soton thread a read or re read, the cards are not really stacked in his (Franks ) favour there's no accounting for players not turning up like Emerson today, and Dave with Southampton , an so many more, its hard to tell who will or wont turn up on the day so, if you except a transition period warts n all or you dont.

• Like 1

paulw66   
1 hour ago, Blue_In_Every_Way said:

Well, yes. How many clear chances had we created,  and how many saves had Leno been forced into?  (other than two tame efforts straight at him) 

Prior to Leno's intervention,  we'd had lots of possession in the second half and done nothing with it, much like the recent games against Southampton,  Bournemouth,  Everton and West Ham.

Credit to Frank for rolling the dice at 1-0 though, but without the error, I think we'd be presiding over another defeat against an out of form team.

2 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Well, yes. How many clear chances had we created,  and how many saves had Leno been forced into?  (other than two tame efforts straight at him) 

Prior to Leno's intervention,  we'd had lots of possession in the second half and done nothing with it, much like the recent games against Southampton,  Bournemouth,  Everton and West Ham.

Credit to Frank for rolling the dice at 1-0 though, but without the error, I think we'd be presiding over another defeat against an out of form team.

I tend to agree. I found it a very frustrating performance, including the 2nd half.

No doubts Arteta had them more organised that they have been years, but it’s a team of players who generally do not defend well. Yet they manage to sniff us out reasonably comfortably. Leno had very little to do and their back line rarely looked stretched at all.