• Current Donation Goals

Michael Tucker

Arsenal 1 Chelsea 2

chara   

For me the game was an early KO and I have far too much to do first thing so such games are recorded and as best as I can I avoid checking scores. The temp here was -28C and snow over weekend making roads horrible(bear with me here) so my wife did not go to church..now I always ask her (tell) not to give me any scores OR COMMENTS during the game..however must have been into second half when she stated out loud "Oh Dear" and then  "You won't like this"....I protested of course and then with great discipline assuming at least a 3 goal trailing waited until the end before checking on a scoreboard app available here..as I checked she said "It's OK you can watch it after all"....2-1 result comes up as I fling her dismembered body out the door ...and a lot here think it was bad watching the game!!!!

I watched the game and did not know the scoring sequence or scorers and shuddered as DL lined up to take a FK only to see it gathered by Kepa..whew..

One of the comments printed above the game I think early second half was that Arse had not had a shot on goal since the goal..Emerson of course greatly at fault as he ball watches but the Arse man did move well to get his header in..

A broad response for me to the game was Arse started well and whilst Chelsea were not great reading real time game comments later I realise we all react badly "live" if things are not going smoothly. Chelsea stuck with it and my comment as Frank pulled Emerson was" Bold Move"...Chelsea were far better the second half and if you could get above the frantic battle were if not exactly in control certainly looking to "get in"...

Great result ..... get this season out of the way and a good transfer policy..both ways and next season see what SFL can do..or not. (Still with you JaneB..don't mistake my meaning!)

• Like 1

JaneB   
45 minutes ago, chara said:

For me the game was an early KO and I have far too much to do first thing so such games are recorded and as best as I can I avoid checking scores. The temp here was -28C and snow over weekend making roads horrible(bear with me here) so my wife did not go to church..now I always ask her (tell) not to give me any scores OR COMMENTS during the game..however must have been into second half when she stated out loud "Oh Dear" and then  "You won't like this"....I protested of course and then with great discipline assuming at least a 3 goal trailing waited until the end before checking on a scoreboard app available here..as I checked she said "It's OK you can watch it after all"....2-1 result comes up as I fling her dismembered body out the door ...and a lot here think it was bad watching the game!!!!

I watched the game and did not know the scoring sequence or scorers and shuddered as DL lined up to take a FK only to see it gathered by Kepa..whew..

One of the comments printed above the game I think early second half was that Arse had not had a shot on goal since the goal..Emerson of course greatly at fault as he ball watches but the Arse man did move well to get his header in..

A broad response for me to the game was Arse started well and whilst Chelsea were not great reading real time game comments later I realise we all react badly "live" if things are not going smoothly. Chelsea stuck with it and my comment as Frank pulled Emerson was" Bold Move"...Chelsea were far better the second half and if you could get above the frantic battle were if not exactly in control certainly looking to "get in"...

Great result ..... get this season out of the way and a good transfer policy..both ways and next season see what SFL can do..or not. (Still with you JaneB..don't mistake my meaning!)

I don't :-)

I'm still trying to imagine how cold -28C is...……………..

Love that final goal, could watch it again and again. Look how Tammy opens up his body as he receives the ball to deceive Mustafi as if he is going right. Italian dark arts that. Very intelligent but subtle play by Tammy. 

Edited by Ibn Battuta

chara   
Just now, JaneB said:

I don't :-)

I'm still trying to imagine how cold -28C is...……………..

Well.....in Colorado we have (at least in my little world) a temp scale..FCold FFCold and DFA...this am it was DFA....mind you the result today and at Spuds certainly warms one up!!

chara   
3 minutes ago, Ibn Battuta said:

Love that final goal, could watch it again and again. Look how Tammy opens up his body as he receives the ball to deceive Mustafi as if he is going right. Italian dark arts that. Very intelligent but subtle play by Tammy. 

Absolutely..a lot more to that young man than sometimes meets the eye..AND he works his b******** off.

chara   
2 minutes ago, chara said:

Well.....in Colorado we have (at least in my little world) a temp scale..FCold FFCold and DFA...this am it was DFA....mind you the result today and at Spuds certainly warms one up!!

PS.....now absolutely clear BLUE sky and sunshine....have to love Colorado....but on my porch..in shade..still  -10C..bit warmer in the sun..but not much...and JaneB...didn't really dismember Susan..well... in my mind!!!

Lamptey looked very promising today!!

I guess Gary Neville was obsessing about some kind of return to form by Arsenal.  He went through the match saying how good they were and how poor we were.  I thought they were fortunate to turn a good first 30 mins into a lead, which gave them an advantage.  Then we outplayed them and there was no luck in the result.
XG was 0.79- 1.49 to us
Possession was 42%58% to us
Shots were 7-13 to us
Shots on target were 2-4 to us
and Bookings were 5-4 to them

We did outfoul them 13-19 (lesson from West Ham there) but only by the definition of the homer ref.

Generally this was a good game where we outplayed Arsenal despite the disadvantage of going a goal down.

But there was the starting formation.
I said before the Southampton game that the real problem with 3CBs and Azpi, is that it takes 2 subs to re-shape the defence into something that can support an attacking game.  Happened again, and Lampard had little choice but to start on 30 mins (any later and he'd have been crucified I reckon).  Pity poor Emerson who really wasn't that bad.

Zouma in the middle?  I don't recall for certain, but wasn't the Spurs game with Rudiger central, while Southampton H1 and the start today had Zouma central.  That strikes me as wrong for a start.  
We could play out with a 3 under Conte because Matic or Fabregas dropped deep and the passes were amongst 4 players not 3.
We could play out with 2CBs under Sarri or SFL because Jorginho drops in front and they play out as 3 players.
We can even play out with Kovacic deputising for Jorginho because he does the same.
But we can't play out with 3CBs and both CMs pushed forward - we are neither very good at it and 3 is too easy to press.

Jorginho for a CB is essential - IMO for any game we want to win.  Though by all means play that way when a goal up.

Kepa - two London derbies won because of massive errors by the oppo keeper.  Well done our guy.
Abraham - battles away, will always have short runs of not scoring, but they don't last long.  Keeps coming back and scoring.
Mount and Abraham are the real deal.

10 minutes ago, Ibn Battuta said:

Quite.  I love watching him work that box.

6 hours ago, Martin1905 said:

Taking emerson off and putting Tomori at right back was a shocking decision. 

Taking Tomori off whilst Rudiger is laying on the floor with blood pissing out of his head is even worse.

Emerson - I suspect Tomori (like Lamptey) at RB is more of a known threat at Cobham than amongst fans.
Rudiger was being bandaged.  First you check for concussion, then look at the wound, then assess him to carry on.  By that time they have confirmed he is ready to play.  Stopping the bleeding and bandaging him is the easy bit.  Meanwhile Tomori was waiting on the touchline for a confirmation.  I see no issue here.

6 hours ago, Never happy said:

Bias commentators, jorg I should have been sent off...what about Luiz in first half

Actually the big decision was not to book Lacazette instead of Jorginho as the commentator said.  The big decision was to give Lacazette a first yellow for card waving but not a 2nd yellow to Torreira who had done the same blatantly earlier on too.

5 hours ago, chelboy said:

Lamps is struggling in knowing which combination midfield to pick. Its his biggest problem right now.  Against Spurs Kova and Kante worked perfectly. Today we needed Jorginho badly. Against Southampton we needed Kova. Its a difficult decision for him but a learning process aswell. You also can’t play all 3 because they lack goals. As the season goes on he will get better at knowing which combination for which game. 

The issue is simple.  There is no proper attacking threat without Mount in CM.  Jorginho + Kante + Kovacic is almost as stale this year as last year, while Jorginho and Kante play their own roles much better than anyone else.  No surprise that we couldn't score until Kovacic came off.

Incidentally, after a run of moderate games where he seems to have been immune to fair criticism, Kovacic was truly awful today - especially in that first half when he gave the ball away in our half 4 or 5 times.  (No idea how the match-time comment was so anti-Kante - we were overrun, he looked mortal, but he wasn't making the kind of major error Kovacic was).

5 hours ago, bONes said:

WHAT A COMEBACK! WHAT A WIN!

tactical masterclass by Lamps, well done for making those changes.

Lamptey didn't put a foot wrong. Jorginho did well.

I'd just call it an early admission of error.  But having to take 2 defenders off just proved what a poor first choice it has been.

Holymoly   

Wasn't able to watch the game as Mrs Moly had decided it was the perfect time to take the dogs out for a walk. The incessant updates on my phone made it one of the most frantic walks this year. I was convinced we were going to get at least one sent off with all the yellow cards flying around. Then the two late goalshad me jumping around like a lunatic. If we'd got those 12-15 lost points we'd be up in second. Still a buffer in fourth at half way is far better than most on here were expecting at the start of the season.

Blue Rod   
1 hour ago, LeBoeufsGolfBall said:

I just have no idea where you are coming from with this. Do you really think we have players sitting there in the dressing room thinking they are great players and we can stroll through matches!

Of course they don’t, it’s a ridiculous comment. 

They were inspired and organised under a new manager and started the game far better than we did. 

Nothing to do with hype or players thinking they could stroll through the game.

It's not about players deciding in the dressing room not to run, and it's not about Arsenal and their new manager. I have been saying this for weeks. The Spurs match was an exemption, and you could see the difference from the start. It didn't matter that they are also under a new manager. We blew them away with  the speed and intensity of our game.

You don't need a new manager to inspire you to run fast. Liverpool is an example. They have a few forward players that have top technical skills, plus a top defender. But their key weapon is they overpower you with speed. Leicester is another example; technically decent, but full of hard running.

Edited by Blue Rod

JaneB   
1 hour ago, chara said:

Well let's pray you stay warmed up for the rest of the season.

53 minutes ago, chara said:

PS.....now absolutely clear BLUE sky and sunshine....have to love Colorado....but on my porch..in shade..still  -10C..bit warmer in the sun..but not much...and JaneB...didn't really dismember Susan..well... in my mind!!!

Careful, you can't say things like that these days, even in jest...….

Edited by JaneB