• Current Donation Goals

7 hours ago, Jasonb said:

I think you may well be right on Barkley

He is right, and in spades. 

yet he gives others a rest

True, but is that anywhere near enough? Not in my opinion.

and there is a chance he may improve

They've been saying that for years. Imo, there is absolutely no chance that he'll improve beyond what you get from him now. Sure, he can have the occasional decent game, here and there (or at least, decent parts of a game), but that's the extent of it. He's a log.

12 hours ago, Michael Tucker said:

He is right, and in spades. 

True, but is that anywhere near enough? Not in my opinion.

They've been saying that for years. Imo, there is absolutely no chance that he'll improve beyond what you get from him now. Sure, he can have the occasional decent game, here and there (or at least, decent parts of a game), but that's the extent of it. He's a log.

Next season, if we assume that RLC is back to compete with Mount for the no.8/10 position, who would you prefer for the 4th player in midfield after Kanté, Jorginho, Kovacic:

Barkley, Ampadu, Gallagher or a new signing? 

24 minutes ago, chiswickblue said:

Next season, if we assume that RLC is back to compete with Mount for the no.8/10 position, who would you prefer for the 4th player in midfield after Kanté, Jorginho, Kovacic:

Ampadu. Impressed me from the start. Looked like a little David Luis without the brainfarts.

47 minutes ago, chiswickblue said:

I’d keep them all with a view to loan out Gallagher/Ampadu after the league cup and CL/EL group stages are completed. 

So a midfield of;

Kante, Jorginho, Kovacic, Barkley, Ampadu, Gallagher 

to start the season. 

paulw66   
4 minutes ago, The_Ghost said:

I’d keep them all with a view to loan out Gallagher/Ampadu after the league cup and CL/EL group stages are completed. 

So a midfield of;

Kante, Jorginho, Kovacic, Barkley, Ampadu, Gallagher 

to start the season. 

Barkely over RLC? Surely not. 

paulw66   
On 13/01/2020 at 6:34 PM, Blue_In_Every_Way said:

Oh, is that what cost us top spot?

Here I thought it was shipping goals for fun against Ajax at home, or any of the other generally poor periods of games we had throughout the group stages.

Inconsistent. As opposed to who in the squad, exactly?

Please elaborate on exactly who in the squad has really set an example of consistency over the last 2 years?

Eden Hazard to an extent I would give you.. but who else?

I didn't say inconsisent, I said annonymous. 

As you ask though, since his (Barkely) arrival, the following have all been better / more consistent........Rudiger, Azpi, Jorginho, Kante, Kovacic, Willian, Hazard.......and now you can add Tomori, Zouma, Mount and Abraham. Not saying they have all been brilliant, or the model of consistency, but all better than Barkely. 

paulw66   
13 hours ago, Michael Tucker said:

His issue isn't his ability, it's his brain; and that won't improve at all. 26 now and being linked with a loan to West Ham. Hopefully they'll take him, and they can buy him in the summer. That's about the right level. 

I really don't see why we don't try and play to Barkley's strengths ( ahem ) a bit more and throw him on up front when Tammy needs a rest , he's got an eye for a goal and if he misplaces a pass then he'll be doing it miles away from our goal . 

1 hour ago, chiswickblue said:

IMO RLC is back, as fit as he is going to be but not competing.  That may be permanent.
So first I want to see an alternative to Mount. 

Jorginho and Kante (if we can keep both) is great, Kovacic is a great 2nd choice to either.  So I'd be happy with Gallagher (though his interests might be best suited with another year on loan).
I doubt Ampadu is a long term DM, but James might be.

So a No 8 and perhaps another ball winning CM but I can't see much point in anyone who is not at least as good as Kovacic - that is someone good enough to put pressure on the starters for a permanent place.  That isn't easy.

1 hour ago, Droy was my hero said:

IMO RLC is back, as fit as he is going to be but not competing.  That may be permanent.
So first I want to see an alternative to Mount. 

Jorginho and Kante (if we can keep both) is great, Kovacic is a great 2nd choice to either.  So I'd be happy with Gallagher (though his interests might be best suited with another year on loan).
I doubt Ampadu is a long term DM, but James might be.

So a No 8 and perhaps another ball winning CM but I can't see much point in anyone who is not at least as good as Kovacic - that is someone good enough to put pressure on the starters for a permanent place.  That isn't easy.

I've seen all of Ampadu's games for Wales, in which he has been used in midfield. He's been outstanding, apart from the odd rash challenge. Amazing strength and composure, and excellent distribution. He hasn't been used as a CB, but he looks a natural DM.