• Current Donation Goals

Bison   
18 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

AVB had some top class players in their prime - good enough to win the CL the same year.
AVB's team played well below its potential.

We don't have those players, just Rudiger, Kanter, Jorginho and some very likely looking 20/21 year olds.
We are still playing above potential IMO.

Playing above potential but losing regularly to the worst teams in the league. Doesn't make sense.

4 minutes ago, Bison said:

Playing above potential but losing regularly to the worst teams in the league. Doesn't make sense.

Regularly?  We are 4th.

Rob B   
2 minutes ago, Bison said:

Respectfully, what a load of tripe you’re talking about!

Over the last DECADE we have averaged 73 points a season.  That includes some phenomenal teams with players at the height of their powers e.g. Costa, Fàbregas, Lampard, Cech, Cole, Terry etc. Finished articles with top managers to match their talents  - Mourinho, Conte, Hiddink etc. 

73 points usually gets you between 3rd and 4th if you look at the history.  We’re on course to finish in a CL spot, one place below last year’s manager, having lost our best player and talisman, incurred a transfer ban, and consequently brought through about 4 or 5 academy lads into the team. 

Today was frustrating because we were all over them and it was a typical smash and grab, but my god, bit of perspective needed! 

• Thanks 1

Ham   
47 minutes ago, Never happy said:

Tammy knows at the moment he has no competition, Bats and giroud?

go ou tomorrow and try and buy Ings or Jimenez

100% agree if either is possible

We are on course for 64 points pro rata, which usually gets you 6th or 7th. If that's playing above potential then it's quite worrying and also indicative of just how bad our rivals have been, something we can't keep relying on.

22 minutes ago, Lump Of Celery said:

We are on course for 64 points pro rata, which usually gets you 6th or 7th. If that's playing above potential then it's quite worrying and also indicative of just how bad our rivals have been, something we can't keep relying on.

Indeed - it is worrying in the sense that the team is no better than that and IMO is outperforming (though still far from losing regularly to weaker teams)
Yes our rivals have been spectacularly poor.  That one of Us, Liverpool, Man U Arsenal and Spurs is having a bad season is normal.  That 4 of us are, is extremely unusual.

To some extent this is a reversal of the recent trend where the top 6 were distancing themselves from the pack.

Edited by Droy was my hero

Holymoly   
47 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

Regularly?  We are 4th.

OK but it's a bit like when Leicester won the league it was because everyone else is just as bad, or worse. Pretty much every team team in the league this year apart from the top three are in  a season of rebuilding. What we need to ensure is that we come out of the season with a plan moving forward. At the moment we are desperately in need of a player able to be clinical in the last third, be it a run, a pass or a shot. This match was another Arsene performance. Loads of possession while not really creating much. Terribly frustrating. I feel we're one senior player short in the squad capable of taking control of a game.

4 minutes ago, Holymoly said:

OK but it's a bit like when Leicester won the league it was because everyone else is just as bad, or worse.

Unfair on Leicester - they got 81 points which is not a bad total.  Man U got less in 2011.  But I agree the "top" 6 all did badly, Arsenal were 2nd with 71 points.

Based on our normal standards we are doing poorly.  Based on the quality of our squad we are IMO doing well.  But in no circumstances are we losing regularly to weak teams - that would imply a bottom half performance.

Man U catching us up now, 5 points below us with a game in hand.  Playing Liverpool tomorrow - one of those lose/lose games for Chelsea fans.

I'm imagining the midfield in Simpson's fashion saying "we've tried nothing and are all  out of ideas"

20 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

Indeed - it is worrying in the sense that the team is no better than that and IMO is outperforming (though still far from losing regularly to weaker teams)
Yes our rivals have been spectacularly poor.  That one of Us, Liverpool, Man U Arsenal and Spurs is having a bad season is normal.  That 4 of us are, is extremely unusual.

To some extent this is a reversal of the recent trend where the top 6 were distancing themselves from the pack.

I find it a bit irritating that people keep stating 'we are 4th' as a validation of us doing well this season, or as a dismissal of anyones concerns. Of course you sit where you deserve to be in the table on the points you earned, this season it just feels a bit like we are ther because others have been, as you say, so spectacularly poor.

Still, better that than not being 4th, and Frank had the hardest task of all the usual top 6 given the circumstances. Really hope we can finish in the top 4 and use it as a platform to put some distance between us and those below us.