• Current Donation Goals

Please use this thread for all posts relating to our Premier League match against Arsenal at Stamford Bridge, before, during and after the game.

The Moderators will be keeping an eye on things, so let's try to keep it intelligent.

Please note that this un-moderated forum is a privilege and its abuse will result in the suspension of your account.

The match is scheduled to kick off at 20:15, Tuesday, 21st January, 2020 (Local UK time/date).

Jasonb   

That must work in our favour and it will be interesting to see how Frank adapts for this one.

I'm also pleased that Calum Chambers wont be lining up against us too 

10 minutes ago, Diddymen said:

Anyone know what’s happening with Kovacic? He’s been our best midfielder (I think)

Well he isn't (I think) though he is a very competent deputy to Kante or Jorginho.
I suspect he hasn't been fully fit, but has been appearing on the bench simply because we have so few options there (or anywhere except the back 4).

Ham   
31 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

Well he isn't (I think) though he is a very competent deputy to Kante or Jorginho.
I suspect he hasn't been fully fit, but has been appearing on the bench simply because we have so few options there (or anywhere except the back 4).

If we're talking current form then Kovacic trumps Kante (I know).

4 minutes ago, Ham said:

If we're talking current form then Kovacic trumps Kante (I know).

Interesting that the return of Kante led to us having zero penetration in the final third again . We can ruminate about him not being a holding midfielder all we like but get him in the oppositions 12 yard box and he's like a rabbit in the headlights , nothing comes naturally to him there , he has no instinct for it .

1 minute ago, Mark Kelly said:

Interesting that the return of Kante led to us having zero penetration in the final third again . We can ruminate about him not being a holding midfielder all we like but get him in the oppositions 12 yard box and he's like a rabbit in the headlights , nothing comes naturally to him there , he has no instinct for it .

Well no.  For 20 mins Mount was mostly pushed up, then both Mount and Kante were pushing up alongside Tammy.  Kante had the first (only?) shot on goal and made the headed flick from which Tammy hit the bar (albeit marginally offside).  These were our 2 best chances.
I'd argue that Kante did more in attack than anyone.

I do agree that against a team so disinterested in keeping the ball as Newcastle, Kante won't look his best.  (Which is the best reason for not including Kovacic btw).  But the way to score against this type of team is to get additional players in the box.  FBs, CMs and the widemen.  We have never done this very well, Mount, Kante and Alonso being the only ones who really try to get in there.