• Current Donation Goals

55 minutes ago, Blue_In_Every_Way said:

The player himself stated that Sarri allowed him much more attacking involvement. The coach also confirmed this.

Great - (though players and managers always say this, I have never heard a player state publicly that his new manager has asked him not to get forward as much).

57 minutes ago, Blue_In_Every_Way said:

Are you saying that Sarri didn't change his role with us.....? 

??  Of course not.  He changed the way we  played, so everyone's role changed a little.  He let Kante roam a bit more.  Did he play less defensively in front of 2CBs and Jorginho instead of in front of 3CBs and Matic - well of course not.

52 minutes ago, Blue_In_Every_Way said:

When Barkley came on he got the ball and moved it very quickly and the play improved even more.

Not in the game I saw.  He dropped deeper and sat on the ball thinking about what to do.  Did we create as many chances H2 as H1?  I don't think so.

4 hours ago, paulw66 said:

Not sure CHO is justifying his selection. Shooting is poor, never skins his full back......... mind you, I don't see Arsenal parking the bus, so maybe more room to run into. 

I think he's had some better performances recently and to be honest, with Pulisic out we don't have many choices. We could put Mount out left and Willian on the right I suppose, which has worked well before...

3 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

I think he's had some better performances recently and to be honest, with Pulisic out we don't have many choices. We could put Mount out left and Willian on the right I suppose, which has worked well before...

Agreed. I keep hearing that Mount is a deeper central midfielder, but he just doesn’t impress me in this role. Yet wide in AM role he looks far more affective to me. 

I certainly don’t want to get at Mount. He’s a young kid who has done well and clearly has a lot of talent and potential for improvement, but he needs to start improving his final ball. If we are being honest , he is the biggest culprit for poor decision making and not making the most of our attacking situations at times.

Personally, I much prefer him wider with his energy and pressing ability higher up the field.

Jasonb   
15 hours ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

That might work better for this one.

Think we will beat Arsenal though suspect it will be close too.

Agree with those that say Mounts best performances, in general, have been when he's played as a wide AM. When he plays there its normally been against better sides so that is a big positive for him.

We generally have Kovacic, Kante and Jorginho playing also so are more solid in midfield. I think playing wide left with those three behind is probably a lot easier for him than being a number 8/10 and expecting him to be the main creative force. 

The boy has just turned 21, playing his first season in the premier league and still learning. The more I see of him the more convinced I am that he will play deeper long term and not as a number 10, however if we play with a more attack minded central midfielder he is the only option. Maybe he's being asked to do a job that isn't really getting the best out of him but we have no other choice.

asvaberg   

"Chelsea play Arsenal for the 200th occasion in all competitions, more than we have played against any other club."

In other words: it's a MUST win

Edited by asvaberg

Just re-watched the famous "Wenger's 1000th game in charge" game where we beat them 6-0 .

It was one of the most depressing things I've ever seen , we are absolutely miles and miles and miles from where we were then as a club , that side would put twenty past us.

• Like 1

Blue Rod   
23 hours ago, Blue_In_Every_Way said:

When Barkley came on he got the ball and moved it very quickly and the play improved even more. In Kante's present form, and even Mount who has his inconsistencies, Kovacic and Barkley should be involved a lot more IMO.

It is not even about if Barkley is "good enough".. Its about if the current first choice players are living up to their reputations. And they aren't.

Under Mourinho, there was a time when we had untouchables and he would play them regardless of their individual performances solely because collectively the group functioned and they kept consistently picking up points. That's not the case with any of this group, and hasn't been the case for years. We haven't had a consistent season since Conte's first. 

Kante's performance has dropped. But this is in the context of the whole team not playing well, from goalkeeper right down to Tammy. In fact I would add SFL and J Morris to the underperformers. But I thought Kante was our least bad performer against Newcastle. 

The skill level of a team increaes in exponential proportion to the speed and intensity of their game. The way we are playing these days, it is impossible for our winger to beat FB or for Kante to take the ball past opponents

2 hours ago, Blue Rod said:

Kante's performance has dropped. But this is in the context of the whole team not playing well, from goalkeeper right down to Tammy. In fact I would add SFL and J Morris to the underperformers. But I thought Kante was our least bad performer against Newcastle. 

The skill level of a team increaes in exponential proportion to the speed and intensity of their game. The way we are playing these days, it is impossible for our winger to beat FB or for Kante to take the ball past opponents

Again, disagree with this idea that Kante was supposedly no worse than the rest of the team.

Sure, Mount had a tough first half but otherwise we dominated them in terms of possession and we did create a few chances.

The issues with Kante stem from before the Newcastle game. He has been sticking out like a sore thumb for a long while now. And we have looked better without him.

paulw66   
8 minutes ago, Blue_In_Every_Way said:

Again, disagree with this idea that Kante was supposedly no worse than the rest of the team.

Sure, Mount had a tough first half but otherwise we dominated them in terms of possession and we did create a few chances.

The issues with Kante stem from before the Newcastle game. He has been sticking out like a sore thumb for a long while now. And we have looked better without him.

Against teams that don't move out of their half, I dont see what value Kante adds.

Brilliant at winning it back, so will be useful tonight.