• Current Donation Goals

I hate it when Ferdinand starts making intelligent points about Chelsea on TV.  Life gets really confusing now that Joe Cole comes across well too.

Should our wingers be getting in close to back up Tammy as Ferdinand says - absolutely.  Keown's generalisation is smart. "wingers don't really play until they get the ball" .

And the clips make it clear that Kante getting into the box is not the problem - rather it is only one quarter of the answer!

Blue Rod   
38 minutes ago, Lump Of Celery said:

Kante is being discussed because he is the only one of those players where there is a viable alternative, Kovacic, who has performed well this season. At least it started as a Kante v Kovacic against a park the bus team discussion, following on from the Newcastle game, rather than people just blaming Kante for our lack of creativity. A discussion of replacing any other creative player with the alternative on the bench would be a non starter.

Well, Kovacic offers better attacking qualities than Kante and might have added to our attacking options. But he doesn't cover us defensively as Kante for when we need to win the ball.

But did we lack attacking players against Newcastle, when we already had the most offensive lineup in Jorginho, Mount, Willian, CHO? I don't think so. Even Reece James spent a lot of his time attacking, so much that  CHO was tucking inside half of the time, to accommodate Reece. I really don't see this lack of attacking players that Kovacic would have solved. This is a typical case of the one that didn't play (who would have solved our problem) 

If we're going to judge Kante on his attacking contributions then we might as well judge the attacking players on how well they defend. 

Edited by Blue Rod

Holymoly   

Christensen not Zouma and no Mount. I hope Frank has a cunning plan.

4 minutes in , our first corner ends up in a chance for Arsenal because we're clueless and Kepa is feeble . 

wtf is kepa doing. he is no ball player and nearly got caught ..

8 minutes ago, Holymoly said:

Christensen not Zouma and no Mount. I hope Frank has a cunning plan.

no zouma makes me happy

9 minutes ago, Blue Rod said:

Well, Kovacic offers better attacking qualities than Kante and might have added to our attacking options. But he doesn't cover us defensively as Kante for when we need to win the ball.

But did we lack attacking players against Newcastle, when we already had the most offensive lineup in Jorginho, Mount, Willian, CHO? I don't think so. Even Reece James spent a lot of his time attacking, so much that  CHO was tucking inside half of the time, to accommodate Reece. I really don't see this lack of attacking players that Kovacic would have solved. This is a typical case of the one that didn't play (who would have solved our problem) 

If we're going to judge Kante on his attacking contributions then we might as well judge the attacking players on how well they defend. 

'Being the problem'and 'solving the problem'is making it a bit black and white, Kovacic may just have been an improvement.

The defensive qualities of players weren't being discussed in relation to the Newcastle game because they weren't needed. Newcastle had no intention of attacking. Tbf myself and a couple of others have pointed our Kantes skillset will be needed in this game against Arsenal, hopefully we won't be discussing the lack of defensive qualities at the end of the game!!