• Current Donation Goals

On 27/01/2020 at 4:33 PM, Ham said:

I'd have Alonso up front as opposed to Fiki if we're intent on dropping Bats. He's got the height and he's a solid finisher. 

I would too. I reckon it could have been his best position on a football field. I was listening to Ashley Cole speak a while back and he was saying that he started out as a forward, then by luck or design he had to play at left back for a game or two. Turned out to be a few more than a game or two. Obvs too late for Alonso to make a full conversion now but it's clear as day that he has the knack of knowing where the goal is.

• Like 1

Talking about knowing where the back of the net is , its good news that Vardy is only on bench. He was and still is incredibly dangerous.

A few years ago when Costa went there was a big discussion on here about about who we should get to replace him. There was talk of Vardy coz the rumour was he was interested . Most thought he was either too near the end of his career or not the right fit for us. Wrong on both counts me thinks. Whether he really would have come here is a different matter ( but the missus would have loved it!). When I now look back at the likes of Morata,  Higuain & Bats l can't help thinking we missed a trick. 

Ham   
25 minutes ago, NoblyBobly said:

I would too. I reckon it could have been his best position on a football field. I was listening to Ashley Cole speak a while back and he was saying that he started out as a forward, then by luck or design he had to play at left back for a game or two. Turned out to be a few more than a game or two. Obvs too late for Alonso to make a full conversion now but it's clear as day that he has the knack of knowing where the goal is.

Didn't know that 🤔

Jasonb   
1 hour ago, NoblyBobly said:

Talking about knowing where the back of the net is , its good news that Vardy is only on bench. He was and still is incredibly dangerous.

A few years ago when Costa went there was a big discussion on here about about who we should get to replace him. There was talk of Vardy coz the rumour was he was interested . Most thought he was either too near the end of his career or not the right fit for us. Wrong on both counts me thinks. Whether he really would have come here is a different matter ( but the missus would have loved it!). When I now look back at the likes of Morata,  Higuain & Bats l can't help thinking we missed a trick. 

An interesting what if, Vardy scores most of his goals on the counter yet not so much against deeper sitting sides.

It might not have been a marriage made in heaven yet he has done well to still be one of the top scorers.

paulw66   
5 hours ago, NoblyBobly said:

when? As an 18 year old he went on loan to Palace and played left back. Any career he had as a striker was well before senior football. 

8 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

when? As an 18 year old he went on loan to Palace and played left back. Any career he had as a striker was well before senior football. 

I'm sure it was well before that.

He played for youth teams not associated with big clubs for some time before joining Arsenal.  I'd imagine they made a point of picking their best players as CF.

3 hours ago, paulw66 said:

I don't think he specified when but obviously very early in his career... It probably was before he was 18 , but back then he certainly saw his future football as a striker...well that's what he said.....it may have been a YouTube clip saw it on.

Edit: Apparently he first played for Arsenal youth team as a striker.  Youth team coach Terry Murphy nearly let him go because he was too small but chief scout Bill Hollingdale convinced Murphy to hold onto him for another season. During that extra season he was asked to play left during a game because they were short in that position . He obviously impressed and that was that. 

Edited by NoblyBobly

10 hours ago, paulw66 said:

I can't copy and paste on this device for some reason but check out a youtube post called gaff.tv meets up with Ashley Cole. 

On 29/01/2020 at 0:04 PM, Jasonb said:

An interesting what if, Vardy scores most of his goals on the counter yet not so much against deeper sitting sides.

It might not have been a marriage made in heaven yet he has done well to still be one of the top scorers.

I rate Vardy but agree with the above. For us he’d be facing a deep defense with two packed lines with mids and defenders. 

I think it would have been one of those “Chelsea ruins yet another player” situations. But we’ll never know for sure!

• Like 1