• Current Donation Goals

Michael Tucker

Chelsea 0 Manchester United 2

10 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

He's a very good player but not where we play him unfortunately , he needs to play in a two with a holding midfielder to anchor to and mop up all the loose balls before giving it to the passers / suppliers .

I suppose we're stymied because of Jorginhos lack of pace and physicality so we need a three there to compensate and all is see Kante doing is running about a lot .

He has two touches in the first two minutes last night and gave the ball away twice .

If PSG want him we should cash in and invest the money where we need it more .

I think Kanté would be great in a three as a number 6 if we had a proper holding player and a goalscorer alongside him. Then he'd be able to concentrate on doing what he does best, without also having to be simultaneously the last man back covering and the midfielder getting into the box. Unfortunately Jorginho doesn't offer much cover and Mount isn't quite there yet. RLC could have helped, but we need to make a decision about Jorginho and Kanté. I don't think we can keep both.

2 minutes ago, Dingus said:

Literally got lambasted for saying this a little while ago.

You and me Dingus , visionaries.

1 hour ago, chiswickblue said:

I think Kanté would be great in a three as a number 6 if we had a proper holding player and a goalscorer alongside him. Then he'd be able to concentrate on doing what he does best, without also having to be simultaneously the last man back covering and the midfielder getting into the box. Unfortunately Jorginho doesn't offer much cover and Mount isn't quite there yet. RLC could have helped, but we need to make a decision about Jorginho and Kanté. I don't think we can keep both.

We have possible the best defensive midfield player in the world....yes that's what he does best ...protect the back 4 , break up attacks, nick the ball of other players toes, win tackles, stay on his feet and not go to ground when a player runs at him, recycle the ball quickly and accurately, get it to the more advanced players with a minimum of fuss.  Or that's what he use to do. It was like having an extra man on the pitch. I don't know what he is now or what he's meant to do. With this defence , never before have we needed those qualities as much ; but Sarri bought Jorginho and that was that, the whole dynamic changed.  Lampard has not found the answer, but there is one...one of them has to go.     

3 minutes ago, NoblyBobly said:

.one of them has to go.     

I think that both will go at the end of the season. One to Real Madrid, and one to follow his beloved Sarri.

3 minutes ago, Michael Tucker said:

I think that both will go at the end of the season. One to Real Madrid, and one to follow his beloved Sarri.

Maybe madrid will give us Hazard back in exchange.

3 minutes ago, NoblyBobly said:

We have possible the best defensive midfield player in the world....yes that's what he does best ...protect the back 4 , break up attacks, nick the ball of other players toes, win tackles, stay on his feet and not go to ground when a player runs at him, recycle the ball quickly and accurately, get it to the more advanced players with a minimum of fuss.  Or that's what he use to do. It was like having an extra man on the pitch. I don't know what he is now or what he's meant to do. With this defence , never before have we needed those qualities as much ; but Sarri bought Jorginho and that was that, the whole dynamic changed.  Lampard has not found the answer, but there is one...one of them has to go.     

I do feel like Jorginho has become a bit of a mill stone around our neck with trying to fit our midfield around him. His lack of physicality and athleticism gets exposed too often giving away free kicks in dangerous areas, think he is on 9 yellows so one more and a two game ban. He has games where he looks great but usually his forward passing isn't good enough to warrant the drop in others game having to change their role.

His agent has been making noises about him moving on, if we get a decent offer we should move him on. If we can pick up a creative LB and 8/10 to complement James, Ziyech and Pulisic/CHO then they should provide enough creativity and attacking impetus up the pitch to play Kova and Kante in a more traditional CM pairing (unless we fancy splashing out on another CM)

I have voiced concerns about Kante against a parked bus, but in other game situations and deployed correctly he has an irreplaceable skill set.

Blue Rod   
31 minutes ago, Lump Of Celery said:

I do feel like Jorginho has become a bit of a mill stone around our neck with trying to fit our midfield around him. His lack of physicality and athleticism gets exposed too often giving away free kicks in dangerous areas, think he is on 9 yellows so one more and a two game ban. He has games where he looks great but usually his forward passing isn't good enough to warrant the drop in others game having to change their role.

His agent has been making noises about him moving on, if we get a decent offer we should move him on. If we can pick up a creative LB and 8/10 to complement James, Ziyech and Pulisic/CHO then they should provide enough creativity and attacking impetus up the pitch to play Kova and Kante in a more traditional CM pairing (unless we fancy splashing out on another CM)

I have voiced concerns about Kante against a parked bus, but in other game situations and deployed correctly he has an irreplaceable skill set.

I agree. We could and probably should sell Jorginho if an offer comes in. But we still need a versatile central midfielder. As I have said previously,  almost all our young talents are wingers in one way or another. It's not essential to have a playmaker,  but as wingers can be easily nullified in the modern game a productive CM gives you options.. You do need an all rounder of a central midfielder, who can  not only pass but carry the  ball through

2 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

Well, if you like that you'll love this .

I think Kante is surplus to requirements , we should cash in on him and we play better when he doesn't play .

He certainly adds to the team.  But Kovacic is strongest as the Kante stand-in, and there is certainly other clubs who could use Kante more than we do.

The trouble is fitness - Kante is 29 next month and missed quite a few games this season without ever dominating games as he has in the last 4 seasons at Chelsea and Leicester.  His sell-by date (to PSG) may have gone.

2 hours ago, Michael Tucker said:

Nonsense. Barkley is an oaf who offers little. RLC has been out injured for so long people don't remember how he plays. And Mount has been up and down. 

I'm fully with you on Barkley (or perhaps trailing 12 months behind on your early call).  And am yet to be convinced by RLC.

But last season Kovacic got 0 goals and 2 assists with 21 PL starts + 11 as sub.
RLC 6 & 2 in 6+18
Barkley 3+5 in 13 + 14
This year the pattern is similar.

Kovacic offers a lot in other positions, but he is never going to be the No8/most attacking of a midfield 3.  And that has been clear right from the start of his career.

Sciatika   

Silly question...

A quick human can run at about 30km/h and possibly faster in short bursts. That is about 8m/s. At standard frame rate (30fps) you see players travelling about 28cm in every frame. High-speed cameras it is doubled to about 60fps giving you about 13cm in each frame. My understanding (albeit limited) is that VAR uses high-speed replay. So, between one frame and the next, the foot can move 13cm. So, judgement for, say, an offside cannot be more accurate than 13cm. How can VAR be used to judge whether a toe is offside unless people had extraordinarily long toes?

Moreover, two players travelling in opposite directions will give twice the margin of error. And, if the foot is in movement as a result of kicking the ball, you might see 60m/s (which at high speed would be over a metre between frames). What am I missing here?