• Current Donation Goals

1 minute ago, Stim said:

Bayern had a 100 million pound player on their bench.

Good point , and if he'd been at Chelsea he'd have played every game , every cup competition , played with a knock , played out of position , played until he was all played out and then played some more.

We need quality players and we need a lot of them. 

Lions led by Donkeys.

3 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

Lions led by Donkeys.

The Board, you mean, Mark? I know that it's fashionable on here to bag them now that things aren't going to plan, but I keep remembering that it's pretty much the same 'Board' that Roman put in place when he bought the joint, and we started winning things for fun. Maybe then it's Roman who's changed into a donkey?  

Are people seriously saying Christensen had a good game? He was utterly diabolical and all his weaknesses were on show last night. Simply isn’t and never will be good enough for we here we ought to want to be as a club. 

Kovacic was decent, the rest ranging from garbage to diabolical. The shape used by Lampard was suicidal, I said at half time we’d be run over if he didn’t change things up. Ross Barkley has no business starting games for us and surely Alonso must have played his last game for us?

The tie is over and I tear a real thinking in Munich. For the rest of the season I’d like us to use Tomori and Rudiger I'm defense and to give the LB to either Azpilicueta or Emerson and let them have some time to try and make it their own. This constant changing at the back doesn’t cut it.

Come summer and the club seriously need to do some proper business. A central defender, a left back, a central midfielder and a striker must surely be absolute priorities. Not to mention a goalkeeper and another AM. That’s 7 players who all need to be of real good quality. But this has been the case for the past 3-4 seasons. I don’t think we will get anywhere near that... 

Holymoly   

I'm glad people are being realistic here rather than demanding everyone sacked from Frank up and all the players replaced.  We knew we were going to get found out in the knock out stages by a class side and that's exactly what happened. There was no-one on the pitch with any experience capable of circling the wagons. Our club is just a bunch of promising kids and a sad collection of has-been veterans. The squad has been in need of a major overhaul for three seasons and the cracks have, in the past, been papered over by Hazard. Unless something is done in creating a coordinated plan of development over the next few years we can confidently expect to be duking it out with Wolves and Sheff Utd for a top 6 spot year on year. The board can't expect our collection of "wunderkids" to maintain their confidence and progression being regularly pounded in these sorts of games. It was sad to see. Hopefully it won't destroy our league form, such as it is.

15 minutes ago, Holymoly said:

I'm glad people are being realistic here rather than demanding everyone sacked from Frank up and all the players replaced.  We knew we were going to get found out in the knock out stages by a class side and that's exactly what happened. There was no-one on the pitch with any experience capable of circling the wagons. Our club is just a bunch of promising kids and a sad collection of has-been veterans. The squad has been in need of a major overhaul for three seasons and the cracks have, in the past, been papered over by Hazard. Unless something is done in creating a coordinated plan of development over the next few years we can confidently expect to be duking it out with Wolves and Sheff Utd for a top 6 spot year on year. The board can't expect our collection of "wunderkids" to maintain their confidence and progression being regularly pounded in these sorts of games. It was sad to see. Hopefully it won't destroy our league form, such as it is.

Absolutely spot on .

I have no confidence in the board/Roman getting it right though to be honest  , we have so much deadwood I cannot envisage them spending the vast amounts of money it would take to replace just the ones that are at the end of their contracts let alone the positions that should be strengthened .

Player recruitment is a very difficult thing to manage at the best of times but my feeling is that we seem very much to be relying on agents offering us their players than some real scouting being done , I look at someone like Liverpool and at Gomez and Robertson and am confident that we would never even consider recruiting players from Charlton Athletic and Hull as they'd not be good enough for a side like ours and if we did take a punt then we'd just farm them out on loan anyway . 

Bayern Munich are a footballing superpower in some respect they're supposed to be better than us , but my goodness we have some catching up to do .

Bournemouth has now become a massive game for us.

Can you imagine saying that five , ten years ago .

We're on the verge of free fall unless we start getting things right .

Ham   

We were so totally outclassed that I find myself more annoyed this morning at the Muppets in the MHL upper who messed up the banner display by crowd surfing the banner on the left rather than just draping it over the edge.

The collective from the shed who paid for and then spent their own spare time in the evenings setting that up must have been gutted.

Melts. 

chelboy   

To be fair to the board Ziyech has been a good start to 2020 window. What we need to stop doing is transfers that are not the managers targets. Can’t be letting the board spend £70M on a GK only for him to he benched by a 38 yr old who has played better than him since coming in. It’s crazy to do business like that. Targets at high prices must be the managers targets as the board can’t be building a team without the structure of the manager. 

6 minutes ago, chelboy said:

To be fair to the board Ziyech has been a good start to 2020 window. What we need to stop doing is transfers that are not the managers targets. Can’t be letting the board spend £70M on a GK only for him to he benched by a 38 yr old who has played better than him since coming in. It’s crazy to do business like that. Targets at high prices must be the managers targets as the board can’t be building a team without the structure of the manager. 

Particularly when they appear from the outside to not have the qualifications to "spot" a player or read their attributes .

I just see little point analysing the game in much detail. We are just simply not at their level and man for man, we have a couple of players who would make their bench.

I think we actually played ok for large spells. To coin a boxing phrase, its simply levels and we are are at least 2-3 years away from being on that level.

I think the more interesting debate is how we shape our future. I have mentioned this a few times over the last 2-3 months, but this summer needs ruthless decisions to be made as it shapes our future 2 years at the club.

The biggest question marks involve two of our best players, but also two of our most valuable assets. This is in no way a criticism of either player, but this summer is the time to cash out on Kante and Jorginho. If we can raise £120 million for selling both players, then the club simply have to act and move them on.

We can then focus on signing replacements who are more suited to how Lampard wants to play and in Jorginho case, who are more suited to PL football week in week out.

Yes we have other areas that require clear squad upgrades ahead of these two players, but that is almost a sticky plaster and does not address the root cause.

Both have been great servants, but timing is crucial and we need to cash out now whilst we can still recoup good money and rebuild in this key area of the team.