• Current Donation Goals

Recommended Posts

Jasonb   

For me details were important, the Azpi slip for the first, Azpi losing the defensive header to give Bayern the run at us for the second.

Mount intercepting and running at the goal, never looks up yet tries the shot from 30 yards and skies it. Bad enough that he does not look up yet he has never scored form that distance..... decision making.

Willian's cross, is it due to offsides with VAR or our players not being able to read the flight of the ball?

Why no VAR on Boateng's challenge on Tammy, looks to me like he went through Tammy as he was limping straight after?

The Alonso shot, again bad decision making , unexpectedly gets free instead of crossing slows it down and moves it to his left foot and shoots directly at the keeper. Arrgh!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Blue Rod   

Yet again, people are rushing to place the blame on players that we haven't signed. Of course, the quality of our players is a massive problem, and I do not think Mason Mount and Tammy Abraham look anywhere like top PL standards in any part of their game. But our bigger problem is  the complete lack of purpose or direction in our game.

There is no speed, no anticipation, no intensity, no reading of what your team mate might do, where and when. We have no idea whatsoever how to create a goal. We cannot sense an opportunity and exploit it. Quite frankly, we are a like a group of guys who have just turned up for a Sunday kickabout.

There were moments in the game when we were attacking and Bayern are on the retreat. Good football dictates that you continue with an offensive pass. Instead, we just passed the ball backwards and amongst ourselves. It's complete and utter shite football.  We have been doing that all season. 

We will suffer this shite a long time, because the club cannot be seen to be sacking an English coach willly nilly. But I can honestly  say now that  Frank Lampard and Jody Morris are  not up to the job

  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, LeBoeufsGolfBall said:

I just see little point analysing the game in much detail. We are just simply not at their level and man for man, we have a couple of players who would make their bench.

I think we actually played ok for large spells. To coin a boxing phrase, its simply levels and we are are at least 2-3 years away from being on that level.

I think the more interesting debate is how we shape our future. I have mentioned this a few times over the last 2-3 months, but this summer needs ruthless decisions to be made as it shapes our future 2 years at the club.

The biggest question marks involve two of our best players, but also two of our most valuable assets. This is in no way a criticism of either player, but this summer is the time to cash out on Kante and Jorginho. If we can raise £120 million for selling both players, then the club simply have to act and move them on.

We can then focus on signing replacements who are more suited to how Lampard wants to play and in Jorginho case, who are more suited to PL football week in week out.

Yes we have other areas that require clear squad upgrades ahead of these two players, but that is almost a sticky plaster and does not address the root cause.

Both have been great servants, but timing is crucial and we need to cash out now whilst we can still recoup good money and rebuild in this key area of the team.

Completely agree with this. 

But selling both Jorginho and Kanté offers other problems. We already need a new GK, LB, CB, AM and S to begin with. To have to add two CMs to that equation might be too much... 

52 minutes ago, Blue Rod said:

Yet again, people are rushing to place the blame on players that we haven't signed. Of course, the quality of our players is a massive problem, and I do not think Mason Mount and Tammy Abraham look anywhere like top PL standards in any part of their game. But our bigger problem is  the complete lack of purpose or direction in our game.

There is no speed, no anticipation, no intensity, no reading of what your team mate might do, where and when. We have no idea whatsoever how to create a goal. We cannot sense an opportunity and exploit it. Quite frankly, we are a like a group of guys who have just turned up for a Sunday kickabout.

There were moments in the game when we were attacking and Bayern are on the retreat. Good football dictates that you continue with an offensive pass. Instead, we just passed the ball backwards and amongst ourselves. It's complete and utter shite football.  We have been doing that all season. 

We will suffer this shite a long time, because the club cannot be seen to be sacking an English coach willly nilly. But I can honestly  say now that  Frank Lampard and Jody Morris are  not up to the job

I'm sory but you are a broken record. Every manager we appoint ends up taking the blame from you. At some stage you simply have to start pointing the blame to the constant here. Players and new signings not nearly good enough for where we want to be. 

Far too easy to just blame the manager. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, LeBoeufsGolfBall said:

I just see little point analysing the game in much detail. We are just simply not at their level and man for man, we have a couple of players who would make their bench.
I think we actually played ok for large spells. To coin a boxing phrase, its simply levels and we are are at least 2-3 years away from being on that level.

Quite.  Beating a poor Spurs by just one goal is much more worrying than this defeat.  Both in terms of performance by the same 11, and in terms of where we need to be right now.
Anyone worried about yesterday clearly wasn't watching against Man U, or indeed for the past 2 and half seasons.  Or even the CL group stage.

To be fair, Frank set up the team at the start of the season to be enthusiastic and accepted it would be naive.  That makes some sense in terms of a rebuild year, but left us very vulnerable against some teams like the counter-attacking Man U and the simply excellent BM.

Plenty of free mid-weeks now for a proper PL campaign with a squad with quite a few injuries and players that could do with a rest.  I don't want an fa cup run.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

2 hours ago, LeBoeufsGolfBall said:

I think the more interesting debate is how we shape our future. I have mentioned this a few times over the last 2-3 months, but this summer needs ruthless decisions to be made as it shapes our future 2 years at the club.

The most ruthless decision will involve the manager. I'm not for one minute suggesting we should sack him, far from it, but if this season doesn't end well and with the growing discomfort among some fans I could see it possibly happening.

The main reason being Mauricio Pochettino.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Martin1905 said:

 

The most ruthless decision will involve the manager. I'm not for one minute suggesting we should sack him, far from it, but if this season doesn't end well and with the growing discomfort among some fans I could see it possibly happening.

The main reason being Mauricio Pochettino.

I think it's more likely the club enforce a more experienced assistant or coach on Frank, which I think he needs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't think you can sack the manager to any great effect when the team has that many short-comings. 

Azpili last night, in a huge tie too, was shocking. Rudiger seemed well short of sharpness. Alonso was a virtual non-entity. Reece James looked poor. Christensen threw himself about but didn't offer any quality advancing the ball forward. Jorginho gave the ball away time and time again.

Before we think about sacking the manager, maybe we should invest some cash into improving on these guys.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Blue Rod   
6 minutes ago, Blue_In_Every_Way said:

Don't think you can sack the manager to any great effect when the team has that many short-comings. 

Azpili last night, in a huge tie too, was shocking. Rudiger seemed well short of sharpness. Alonso was a virtual non-entity. Reece James looked poor. Christensen threw himself about but didn't offer any quality advancing the ball forward. Jorginho gave the ball away time and time again.

Before we think about sacking the manager, maybe we should invest some cash into improving on these guys.

Every one of those players has qualities beside their weaknesses. As a manager, you maximise the qualities of each and every player, and their weaknesses would almost be forgotten. That is what Conte did with Alonso and even Moses. What I saw last night, and have been seeing all season, was the weakness of every one of our players laid bare without their positives being utilised. Lampard is out of his depth, to be totally honest. 

Edited by Blue Rod

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Rob B   
18 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

I think it's more likely the club enforce a more experienced assistant or coach on Frank, which I think he needs.

Interesting - I’d considered this too.

What I’d pay to get Steve Holland back in the mix!! 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Martin1905 said:

 

The most ruthless decision will involve the manager. I'm not for one minute suggesting we should sack him, far from it, but if this season doesn't end well and with the growing discomfort among some fans I could see it possibly happening.

The main reason being Mauricio Pochettino.

It's a fair point. I know you are not advocating replacing Frank. It would just be an incredibly bad decision if that was to happen over the summer. 

Its his first season working with these players and I am sure he has changed his initial opinion on at least 5-6 players as the season has progressed. He needs to be given time to bring in some of his own players, or if not completely his own, then at least time to work with new players that the club has identified and that are flexible enough to fit in with how Frank wants us to play.

Replacing him in the summer after one season would just be ripping everything good we have done this season and starting completely from scratch again. Whilst on this point, we have achieved a number of positives throughout the season. Its important Frank and the club focuses on these positives, but now he has had first hand experiences of the negatives through this season, its important he starts to address them ahead of next season.

Frank will know next season will bring an even greater scrutiny on his performance and rightly so. As things stand now though, he should not be under any real pressure and this is very much early stages of a work in progress.  Hopefully, the club will back him in the market and we need a very busy summer. Its never ideal bringing in 5-6 plus players in one summer and it may not be possible, but I fully believe we have to try and make this happen in the summer.  I think the club has identified its main transfer targets already and we have already started to get busy on those with Ziyech coming in. I fully expect a lot of time and effort will go into getting a deal for Chilwell done, probably the same for Dembele and I think we will go all out for Sancho. If we can get those four over the line, address CM area and then make a long term decision on the GK (it may have already been made) then things start to look a lot better going into next season . The squad options all start to look stronger, the manager has gained another years experience at this level and with the players who are already at the club. We should start to see better seasons from Tammy, Mount, CHO with a full season under their belt and RLC returning to give another option in there.

A lot of work to be done over the summer, but its not all one way with cash out, we have valuable assets we need to strongly consider moving on who will be wanted and can raise significant cash back into the club too.

The future is still bright, but the club have to back us strongly over the summer and I fully expect they will.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.