• Current Donation Goals

Holymoly   
8 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

Absolutely spot on .

I have no confidence in the board/Roman getting it right though to be honest  , we have so much deadwood I cannot envisage them spending the vast amounts of money it would take to replace just the ones that are at the end of their contracts let alone the positions that should be strengthened .

Player recruitment is a very difficult thing to manage at the best of times but my feeling is that we seem very much to be relying on agents offering us their players than some real scouting being done , I look at someone like Liverpool and at Gomez and Robertson and am confident that we would never even consider recruiting players from Charlton Athletic and Hull as they'd not be good enough for a side like ours and if we did take a punt then we'd just farm them out on loan anyway .

Someone posted online the first starting XI Klopp fielded when he rocked up at Anfield 4 and a half years ago.

Mignolet

Clyne, Skrtel, Sakho, Moreno

Lucas, Can

Milner, Lallana, Coutinho

Origi

Now THAT'S planned development. It would be great to think we could emulate that sort of progress and one could argue we're starting from a far better base.

JaneB   
9 minutes ago, chara said:

Great points Jane..particularly like the "misery guts etc".....and the Poch observation...don't want him here....

What's wrong with people?.....indeed...

Jane professes to know little about the game but as much common sense, and football sense, in this post as any and more than a lot of knee jerk posts.,

Not sure if I can do a bank transfer to Colorado 🤔😏

17 minutes ago, Never happy said:

https://www.sbnation.com/soccer/2020/2/25/21153369/alphonso-davies-bayern-munich-vs-chelsea-champions-league

a real LB, there are a few others like him in MLS but of course it's not a fashionable league, Bayen Munich took a chance and paid 18 million euros for him, will be the best LB in the world within the year

Not a LB though, or not in the MLS.  It would be interesting to see him defend against a top winger in the later stages of the CL.  Messi might have fun with him.

9 minutes ago, JaneB said:

What a refreshing change though from misery guts last season, being finally exhausted by Jose, and the games that Antonio played.

We were quite a bit better last year than this.  Credit Hazard for that if you wish.  Why do say Misery Guts about Sarri?  Always struck me as cheerful and very open.  Is it just because I have spent many years listening to people speak broken English and inflicting strongly accented Polish on others.
Indeed for a man with a job offer from Juve up his sleeve and with a board that chose to say absolutely nothing in the face of speculation he was about to be sacked, Sarri was an amazingly enthusiastic manager.  

3 minutes ago, Holymoly said:

Now THAT'S planned development. It would be great to think we could emulate that sort of progress and one could argue we're starting from a far better base.

We have a better base because we have moved on (and moved on quite a few) in the last 2 years.  We have gone from guaranteed decline to potential upside.

chara   
5 minutes ago, JaneB said:

Not sure if I can do a bank transfer to Colorado 🤔😏

Just a smile is enough Jane....!!!... especially this am..-30C....

JaneB   
5 minutes ago, chara said:

Just a smile is enough Jane....!!!... especially this am..-30C....

😀

Brrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!

chara   

OK..lets have some positive outlook here and ditch all the doom and gloom and the "I'm right he's wrong" attitude.

Chelsea lost to a better side and not a surprise given this seasons situation as well documented by all.

Frank is a new unknown unproven start.... if he rises to the occasion next and future seasons it will be a great achievement....but he wouldn't be the first new coach/manager to succeed nor fail for that matter...give him the chance with an open mind.

And...MLS?....I have always followed the local side wherever I have lived..followed not supported but MLS leaves me uninterested..second rate league which could should be better but for discussion elsewhere....doesn't mean good/top players can't be found..j

I know they weren’t Bayern but an effort like this even ambrosetti scored 

or the game when we got 3 against Barca in about 10mins and Kerman I think scored go at them and who knows

Liverpool came back from 3 down against Milan 

couple of early goals Giroud and Willian  unlikely but not impossible Chelsea beat the good teams and lose to bad ones just give it all and see what happens

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/football/1999/oct/20/championsleague.sport5

chelboy   

A lot of Rudiger criticism on social media. Thought before the goals went in he had a few dodgy moments. I don’t think he was as poor as Azpi though. I can’t remember a time when it has been so easy to get the better of Azpi. He is losing more 50/50’s this season than I can remember. Could be a sign of a decline coming. In general I don’t think it makes much a difference who plays at the back I think they are all at a similar level and they all need a commanding CB next to them. 

In other news Willian has chosen the best time to announce he probably wont be signing a new contract. Wants a 3 year deal which is insane and the board are only offering him 2 years which is also insane. Wish we had taken Barca offers all those months ago but then again his average of 5 goals and 5 assists per season are needed for this year. 

Blue Rod   
1 hour ago, Droy was my hero said:

It is a good question.  To be fair I doubt we ever had a brilliant network of scouts.  What we did  in the noughties under RA was to buy the best players than we could, competing directly with Barca, RM and Man U and not much else.  In the 2012-14 rebuild we bought the players that every other major club was going for, but just outbidding everyone else.  Lukaku, KdB, Salah, Hazard, Willian, almost all of them were well known for potential if not yet established stars.
When you are paying the market price +10% for well scouted players it becomes a much lower risk investment than scouting unknowns.

I wouldn't get excited about Gomez - he was just one of a load of 17/18 yos Liverpool have bought as a policy.  Nicking players from other clubs is what they do, especially while they were hacking the City coaching system.  Sterling was another pinched from QPR.  But the prices all add up, and plenty have flopped.  1 Gomes, 5 or 6 Solanke's.

Robertson was far from an unknown signing.  70 appearances in Scotland, 99 with Hull, 49 of them in the prem.  I can't prove it, but I suspect the £8m fee was reduced because he was either running out of contract or had a relegation release deal, which means that the true cost would have been a lot more with the difference going to player&agent.

But Gomez and Robertson are not very relevant to Liverpool's success.  Just as Azpi turning out to be a bargain lead to our titles.

The big deals that have put Liverpool top of the Prem were for big big players at big big prices.  Van Dyke, Allison, Salah, Mane, and others.  They have bought big names, and not that many of them.  It was always the Chelsea policy other than a brief spell.   Our last few transfers in were Kepa, Jorginho, Kovacic, Pulisic and now Ziyech.  All big money transfers with other clubs interested.  They may not all work out, but it is the right approach again.

One question to you, Droy. Do you think that Bayern have made a serious error of judgement giving Alphonso Davies so much playing time?