• Current Donation Goals

chelboy   
3 hours ago, I_Hate_red said:

Serious question; Do you guys feel we would have lost the game 0-3 with Conte or Sarri in charge? (I was not a big fan of Sarri.)

I think under Conte we would have lost but probably 2-0. We probably would have been in the game longer but still conceded and not scoring or getting out of our half. Under Sarri the game would have been more open which would have suited Bayern. Considering the lack of goals in our team it could have been a bigger scoreline. 

JaneB   
12 hours ago, NoblyBobly said:

Not at all. I have enough in stashed away already in my nuclear bunker to keep me going for a least 5 years should something unthinkable happen.... like the Dippers winning the title.

yes chara, I know exactly what you mean. Came in a yellow and red packet, biggish bar with rum and raisin. 

Now stop all this talk of chocolate, I'm still recovering from pancake day.  

I'm going to need something rather stronger to help me cope with that inevitability :-(

6 hours ago, Blue Rod said:

I was defending Benitez against being booed by our own fans. I thought the sight of Chelsea fans booing a Chelsea manager at every match,  even when we were winning, was too uncomfortable to watch. I'm sorry if this upsets you so much. 

Did you defend Sarri or Jorginho when fans were booing them and signing '**** Sarriball'?

The booing of Benitez was unquestionably justified and I don't say that lightly as I am 100% against booking your own and love the way we welcome back former players, the complete opposite of most other clubs. 

The point being Benitez was about as far from being one of our own as possible.  It  was the worst decision the club has ever, EVER made. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, paulw66 said:

Impossible to say.

The equation of same less Hazard and Luiz is not the simple. SFL has also inherited a squad where there are a few players another year past their prime, and we were unable to repalce them. 

Example...Conte had Hazard aged 25/26, Willian 28 and Pedro 29. Frank now has no Hazard, Willian 31, Pedro 32. Same applies for Giroud, Azpi, and to some extent Kante. 

Last summer the squad was in dire need of some fresh blood - players at their peak, not at 21 or 31 and we couldn't do it 

5 hours ago, Jasonb said:

Yes, I think we would have lost under both Conte and Sarri yet here's the thing, if Costa had been playing for Conte in his first season it may well have been close.

3 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

This.  To compare the teams as an absolute level between the years is tricky.  The PL appears much weaker this year - or at least clubs 3-8 are much weaker.  So we are good on position compared to 1 or 2 years ago, but very poor on points.  1 CL game doesn't imply too much.  A little luck and it could have been 0-1 only, and we would all be hoping for a miracle in Munich.
Conte and Sarri managed teams would have been less likely to have conceded 3.  And less likely to have scored 1.  Once you stop being the best team in a competition (16/17) then you really have to take chances to get results from the non-favourite position,  and accept that you may get punished.

What can be said though is the decline in the squad was rooted in 2016 & 17.  In 2015/16 we had some great players but no bench and really suffered as a result.  It was ideal for the next manager - 6 fresh faces and the squad was suddenly deep enough to win the title again.  Of those fresh faces only Kante and Alonso were long term though.  And in extending the life of the 14/15 team, we were left with a lot of aging players.  2017 lead to a whole bucket load of... ... lets say not good enough players (+Rudiger).

So Sarri (and SFL) have faced a manager's nightmare.  Massive squadlists (look at the loanees), nearly all the best players well past 30, and no core talent.  SFL's upside, the 4 or 5 real young talents, are too early.  That is they should be brought in as and when they hit form, and rested a lot.  Instead they have become the mainstays of the team.

3 hours ago, NoblyBobly said:

That Bayern team (who may have just had a night where everything came together) could easily have beaten any Chelsea team I have ever watched. If we had a Hazard or a Drogba or a Lampard or an Essien or a Robben we would have a punchers chance, but  they were as slick as hell. 

This is not a bad side we have. Earlier in the season in a cup game, we gave the European Champions and easily the best team in the Prem a hell of a game and only lost on pens. We can compete with any team in this league, but Bayern are in a different Universe...or they were the other night.

1 hour ago, Ham said:

6-0 v Man City and 4-0 v Bournemouth would suggest that it was a possibility

Cheers for the insights guys. Interesting and good points.

I think the thought I had boils down to whether Frank sometimes would do better if he was less risk willing. If for example he played more to contain the opponent than play our chance, and hope we would get lucky. I dont know .. It's hard to see how we could have survived that game, but perhaps we could have contained the scoreline a bit. 

I just sometimes feel we could play with more caution, knowing our inability to score. Its counterproductive in a way, but once we go behind its hard to see us come back.

12 minutes ago, I_Hate_red said:

I think the thought I had boils down to whether Frank sometimes would do better if he was less risk willing. If for example he played more to contain the opponent than play our chance, and hope we would get lucky. I dont know .. It's hard to see how we could have survived that game, but perhaps we could have contained the scoreline a bit. 

yes.  There has been some distinct improvement since early season though which was way too gung ho.  And I think sometimes against really good teams you have to go at them if you want a result rather than just protecting your self-confidence.  Sarri had a go at City twice last year 6-0 to City and 2-0 to us if I recall.  Raise the stakes and results become more random.  Only 4 teams got 3 points off City last year.  The year before Conte lost 1-0 twice.  The choice is usually a guaranteed small defeat, protective of the ego and team confidence, or taking a big risk for a small chance of a result.

Happy with us taking a risk against City, Liverpool of BM.  I've been very disappointed with us doing the same against Man U 3 times.  We should be beating Man U in a low risk game.

• Like 1

chara   

Just round and round we go.... BM were the better side...why think otherwise?....and why try and compare past sides with today?....all very "interesting" and ultimately pointless..(no pun).

Even if by some stroke of luck we had got past this stage does anyone think we would progress further?....next season will not be much different if Chelsea get a place... in a rebuilding mode the "Thursday" cup would be a better bet allowing a "new" side come together under slightly less harsh conditions.

We have no player..in the words of someone....to keep the opposition "honest"..Costa DD Hazard etc...players that needed real containing and took up the oppo's time and concentration. I live in a Blue football world but try to be realistic...some of us "older" watchers know what it's like to be under a relegation threat. Now that sharpens the observations and rises above futile comparisions.

AND NB...no pancakes for me this year with Mrs C in UK!!!

Ham   
2 hours ago, Martin1905 said:

Did you defend Sarri or Jorginho when fans were booing them and signing '**** Sarriball'?

The booing of Benitez was unquestionably justified and I don't say that lightly as I am 100% against booking your own and love the way we welcome back former players, the complete opposite of most other clubs. 

The point being Benitez was about as far from being one of our own as possible.  It  was the worst decision the club has ever, EVER made. 

Kepa says hi. 

• Like 1

Leo91   
22 minutes ago, Ham said:

Kepa says hi. 

Hopefully says bye. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Blue Rod said:

I would criticise some of the stuff that Jose Mourinho did and still does. It doesn't make him less of a coach in my eyes, even in his current form. I don't see anything blasphemous about that.

Of course Rafa did say he would never manage Chelsea. I thought the board were wrong to not consider the political impact of appointing him. But once he was made a Chelsea  manager, I'd say it again and again that Chelsea fans booing him repeatedly was not the right way to protest. It's my opinion, and nothing do with bleeding heart,  whatever that is supposed to mean.

Perhaps his comment about Chelsea was in reaponse to the likes of you calling him FSW and all sorts of horrible names. If you can't take it, perhaps you could think twice about giving it in the first place. 

Rafa was a good tactical manager though I did not want him at Chelsea (as said before when he said he would never manage us) and confirmed when as Chelsea manager was one of the only people the ref being the other that did not see the bite on Ivanovo from suarez

Blue Rod   
3 hours ago, Martin1905 said:

Sarri was booed on few occasions and at the end of frustrating matches. It was clearly a show of frustration. That type of booing happens all the time. I didn't have to defend Sarri or Jorhinho because as I've just said, fans were showing their frustration. Interestingly, Sarriball didn't seem to have made it to Juventus. Maybe Chelsea fans voicing their frustration did help Sarri in the end.