Kepa-James-Rudiger-Zouma-Dave

Kepa-James-Rudiger-Christensen-Dave

Kepa-Dave-Rudiger-Christensen-Emerson

Willy-James-Rudiger-Christensen-Dave 

Willy-Dave-Christensen-Rudiger

Willy-Dave-Christensen-Tomori

This is pretty much the same players being picked just in a different systems. The one I highlighted with Emerson was because James was injured.  I don’t mind switching systems sometimes as I think 3atb does suit us in certain games. When everyone stays fit its clear he favours  James Christensen Rudiger and Azpi. It just depends what system they play in. Changing Kepa had to happen eventually I am glad he doesn’t rotate GK’s and sticks with one. 

If we stuck to one formation and he kept changing the players then I would criticise. For example:

James Rudiger Christensen Emerson

Azpi Tomori Christensen Alonso

James Zouma Rudiger Emerson

Azpi Zouma Christensen Alonso. 

This is more of what I call chopping and changing without having a clue what you are doing. 

28 minutes ago, Martin1905 said:

That's all well and good and I agree with some of what you are saying but 7 different combinations of defence in 10 games is madness no matter the reasoning. Not jeepingbthe same defence for more than 2 games in a row is also madness.

Thanks for the listing of back lines.
I think there is a lot more consistency there than one might think.  Only Emerson came in for a single game and I think that was followed by injury.  The 2 at back was brought in 1 game before BM, and I suspect the plan was to keep it until at least the BM second leg.  That may change now, but I'm sure it gets used against Liverpool and Man City.
I reckon if you look at non-title chasing teams including Man U and Arsenal, you'd see at least as much chopping and changing.
Consistency really only happens with title challenges.  For a start it means being a bastard to the second choices, and that usually is only acceptable if you are challenging to win stuff.  This year we haven't even had the 2nd level games we had last year.  One trivial LC game followed by Man U.  Ditto for the FA cup.  Thanks to a certain midfielder, we haven't had an easy CL group game, whereas we had 10 or 12 easy EL games last year.

Plus of course no one is standing out on merit in any of 11 positions except perhaps James.

9 hours ago, Michael Tucker said:

Dear me. Let's be thankful then, because without Alonso today, we would have been shot ducks. And maybe it's just me, but I thought that Christensen has been outstanding.

So because Alonso scores goals (which we already knew), that makes him a fine defender?

Because defending is what he is there to do, isn't it? 

And re: Christensen, a purple patch of about 5 games doesn't make him a  worthwhile option going forward.

Nope, seems to me Frank is trying to "work something out" for this lot.

Alonso scoring goals is great and all, but if people want to see him field a consistent back line in whatever formation then he has to get options who aren't 50-50 at being crap.

Rob B   
2 hours ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

an incredibly frustrating season, but it's also not a surprise. I said I'd be happy with top 6 and staying in some form of European competition for next season, and that would still work for me. The reason not getting top 4 will hurt so much, is because we've been in it almost all season, but if you look at squads, ours isn't the 4th best, so the fact Frank has kept us there for so long is quite impressive - yes a lot of it is to do with others around is slipping up so often, but we're all playing the same teams...

Just had this debate at my house. General consensus here is that we have the third best squad in the league (fully fit) behind Man City and Liverpool. 

I definitely think we are stronger than Leicester and Arsenal, and probably Tottenham too.  Man United are seriously under-performing and I think it could be argued either way. 

48 minutes ago, Martin1905 said:

Kepa-Rudiger-Zouma-Tomori

Last 10 games, not including the 2 FA cup games.

So, don't explore options because the personnel in those combinations are well capable of becoming a solid defensive unit then?

Regardless of what he tries it is still Azpili (crap for maybe 2 years now), Christensen (very inconsistent since Conte threw him in 3 years ago), Rudiger who hasn't quite made the grade yet but eventually can, and Alonso who gets destroyed defensively against any semi-decent opposition.

And he basically swapped Kepa for Caballero... yes, Caballero. 

I'm not saying that SFL is doing brilliantly but obviously the squad is in need of massive investment. 

Maybe he keeps Christensen, Rudiger, James and Tomori from this bunch but we definitely need a GK, CB and LB to add to the mix.

Going forward it is very worrying because the same can be said of the midfield and the attack. 

I mean, if we had the funds and wanted to build a squad for next season, who would you keep from the current group?

I would probably keep:

Abraham, Pulisic, Willian, CHO, Kovacic, Loftus-Cheek, Kante, Mount, Rudiger, Tomori, Christensen, James, Caballero as back up. 13 players... aiming for a squad of 24 we are 10 players short if you count Ziyech.

Maybe Frank gets 5 more out of the 10 players in the summer - we are still going to be about 5 players short which means that 5 of the "to be sold" lot will be kept - Azpili likely, Jorginho, Alonso if he is willing to stay.... its really tough. 

29 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

Thanks for the listing of back lines.
I think there is a lot more consistency there than one might think.  Only Emerson came in for a single game and I think that was followed by injury.  The 2 at back was brought in 1 game before BM, and I suspect the plan was to keep it until at least the BM second leg.  That may change now, but I'm sure it gets used against Liverpool and Man City.
I reckon if you look at non-title chasing teams including Man U and Arsenal, you'd see at least as much chopping and changing.
Consistency really only happens with title challenges.  For a start it means being a bastard to the second choices, and that usually is only acceptable if you are challenging to win stuff.  This year we haven't even had the 2nd level games we had last year.  One trivial LC game followed by Man U.  Ditto for the FA cup.  Thanks to a certain midfielder, we haven't had an easy CL group game, whereas we had 10 or 12 easy EL games last year.

Plus of course no one is standing out on merit in any of 11 positions except perhaps James.

Well, that's one way of looking at it.

I on the other hand think the basis of any good team is a settled back 4 and goalkeeper. All the reasons you list have merit, it's just not something I agree with.

25 minutes ago, Rob B said:

Just had this debate at my house. General consensus here is that we have the third best squad in the league (fully fit) behind Man City and Liverpool. 

I definitely think we are stronger than Leicester and Arsenal, and probably Tottenham too.  Man United are seriously under-performing and I think it could be argued either way. 

Interesting, it's obviously a very subjective subject, but I'm not convinced we have the 3rd best squad, I actually think we're quite even with others in and around us. Realistically the only player from our squad getting into the top 2, would be Kante, so that's not really a debate as we all know.

In terms of our players getting into the other first 11's, I'm not sure that many do...

Reece James
Christensen (maybe into United's)
Kovacic
Kante

Not to say other players aren't as good as their counterparts, but wouldn't say they're significantly better. The players from the Spurs, Wolves, Leicester and United that I think would get into our team would be:

Leicester
- Schmeichel
- Soyuncu
- Maddison (probably)
- Ndidi
- Vardy

Man United
- de Gea
- Bruno Fernandes
- Rashford
- I'd maybe even consider Martial

Wolves
- Patricio
- Neves (possibly)
- Jiminez
- Jota

Spurs
- Lloris
- Alderweireld
- Son
- Kane
- Lo Celso

So it's actually quite even in my mind.

1 hour ago, Martin1905 said:

Last 10 games, not including the 2 FA cup games.

We have not gone more than 2 games without making at least one change and had 7 different combinations in those 10 games.Not sure if he is changing it more or less compared to the start of the season but you can't be changing your defence every 3 games.

Yes injuries and fitness will play a part but there is just no way you can build a successful team when you are constantly changing the defence. 

I said this yesterday, Lampard needs to stop changing it just for changings sake, for the rest of the season I'd prefer to see zouma,Rudiger,Tomori with Kante in front of them with James and Alonso as the wingbacks..only use Dave or christenson if one of them is injured

Rob B   

@My Blood Is Blue

I guess we’ve come at this from different angles. I’ve looked at our squad of 25 players or so and the overall strength vs our main competitors, whereas you’ve looked at the 3 or 4 players that would get into each other’s team - where admittedly it is pretty even. 

I think the issue with the way you have arrived at your opinion is that whilst none of our defenders are star players like VVD or Laporte who would get in any team, as a collective of individual players, they are better than what Arsenal and Wolves have.  Arguably Spurs too with the way Auderweireld and Vertonghan have declined this season. 

I’m also pretty sure all of them would swap Kante, Jorginho, Kovacic, Mount, RLC and Barkley for their midfielders - exception possibly of Spurs who have Ndombele, Le Celso, Winks, Sissoko, Dier and Ali. 

I think what your post definitely does highlight is our lack of 1 or 2 stand outs with real star quality. e.g. Aubameyang, Vardy, Kane, Son, DDG 

Edited by Rob B

chelboy   

With all players fit Spurs and Manu have a better suited team. Mainly because they have more goal scorers and a far better GK. Thats the main difference between us and them. Spurs have 4 players that can easily get 10 PL goals per season aswell as a top GK. United have 2 good goal scorers with Pogba and Fernandes capable of getting goals from midfield and of course they also have a quality GK.