• Current Donation Goals

Michael Tucker

AFC Bournemouth 2 Chelsea 2

22 hours ago, CarefreeMuratcan said:

Well it'll probably end up like the Brighton draw on New Year's Day. We feel like we dropped points, then everyone else below us drops points as well.

Still about 10 minutes to go, but looks like I called this perfectly :P

With Alonso I can't help but think part of the issue with him playing in a back 4 is that the covering midfielder is Jorginho. Doesn't have the athleticism to chase down balls played into the pocket of space left behind Alonso, if he does get there it's a yellow card and a free kick in a dangerous area. One of our less experienced CB's will usually be playing on the left too.

Everton robbed at the end, own goal, the keeper was going the wrong way, would never have got to it, but VAR decided Sigurson laying on the floor (but never touched the ball) interfered...wolves won at Spurs, and again we blew our chance

chelboy   
6 minutes ago, Lump Of Celery said:

Let off with the results today, still a missed opportunity to go clear and Wolves and Arsenal could be in the mix now.

Arsenal have always been in the mix for me. Since Arteta came they have played better, I wasn’t sure they could cope with Europa and PL but going out of Europa probably helps them in the league. As long ad they have Aubaymeng they always have a chance. 

27 minutes ago, Lump Of Celery said:

With Alonso I can't help but think part of the issue with him playing in a back 4 is that the covering midfielder is Jorginho. Doesn't have the athleticism to chase down balls played into the pocket of space left behind Alonso, if he does get there it's a yellow card and a free kick in a dangerous area. One of our less experienced CB's will usually be playing on the left too.

Not specifically Jorginho, but it is the way midfield covers spaces.  If we had someone playing LM in the way Kante plays RM that would solve the issue too.  But generally the LM is Mount or Barkley and when they see Alonso going forward, they go too.  

Arsenal have no chance getting top 5,they will finish below wolves and man Utd, possibly Sheffield United as well

they have to go to city,wolves and Spurs and still have Leicester and Liverpoolat home

Edited by Never happy

1 hour ago, Mark Kelly said:

Surely , if we play James and Alonso as wing backs then that's five in defence , we learnt that a couple of years ago when despite actually winning the league and FA Cup it was used as a stick to beat Conte with .

He took half a dozen games before he realised we needed to play 3-4-3 to get the best out of players , it's taken Lamps and Morris two thirds of a season .

Meanwhile , the board still didn't help the manager , sorry coach .

funny old game .

Personally I think SFL while not quite a true ideologue like Pep and Wenger, is very much in favour of a 433/4231 system and wants to play that system as often as possible. I say this for a number of reasons, first is that it took him so long to implement it. This I found strange as defending has been an issue all season and for both James and Alonso, two of our most dangerous players, it is the system that best suits them.

Second reason is that he sold Luiz and loaned Ampadu which were both decisions within his control. For me the Luiz sale was always fairly mystifying as I said throughout pre-season that we would have to revert to 343 as we lacked goalscorers. However, to play 343 properly you really need a ball playing CB. Now I know Luiz splits opinion but when it comes to a 3/5 atb he, in my opinion, is one of the best players in the world in the CCB spot as he can step out and spray balls to the WB/AM's so you've the counter option loaded. That Ampadu, the only other player that we have that could be termed a ball playing CB, was also loaned out tells me he had zero intention of ever playing the system until he realised it was probably the system that gives us most balance. 

For me, whilst he is currently playing the system I think he personally does not like it. 

chelboy   
27 minutes ago, Never happy said:

Arsenal have no chance getting top 5,they will finish below wolves and man Utd, possibly Sheffield United as well

they have to go to city,wolves and Spurs and still have Leicester and Liverpoolat home

Any team that can string 6 wins will get top 4. It’s not impossible for them and they have a quality goal scorer. 

35 minutes ago, Never happy said:

We still have to play Everton, City, Liverpool, Wolves and Sheffield United

Luckily United's next two games are City and Spurs