• Current Donation Goals

Michael Tucker

AFC Bournemouth 2 Chelsea 2

Reality check

all around did not improve over the weekend. We still have 4 points cushion and Brendon is falling like a stone.

keep the faith.

However frank is under the microscope in the way he keeps losing to teams. It’s nothing to do with the squad it basic coaching. Frank will be measure by the gods on how he has not learnt lessons from the opposition eg  ManUre they have beaten us three times with the same tactics.

Saturday was another classic example of 2-1 down pressing until we get an equaliser in the 86 minute then not one further attempt on goal for the remaining 8 minutes.

frank has proved the academy players are good enough  it’s all about coaching and learning 

Edited by RobertoftheGiz

Jasonb   
47 minutes ago, Blue Rod said:

You can be direct without going long, though. You just make sure your first, second, and third passes after you've won the ball ( that we talked about) are offensive. If the ball comes back, you go on the offensive again. The team has to make that switch, mentally and physically. Instead we are taking a deep breath after we've won the ball, pinging it back and forth and watching the opponents regroup. 

I find it annoying at most times that we play the easy square ball 95% of the time rather than playing the angled through ball when we play out from the back and that would put our central players on the front foot. The ball is riskier and if intercepted would put us on the back foot.  

chara   
34 minutes ago, Jasonb said:

I find it annoying at most times that we play the easy square ball 95% of the time rather than playing the angled through ball when we play out from the back and that would put our central players on the front foot. The ball is riskier and if intercepted would put us on the back foot.  

Watching the "final" yesterday and the amount of angled balls Citeh played...light years away from us..two other thoughts..Foden looked fresh and talented (very) and benefits from not being overplayed in contrast to our kids who are having to deliver week in week out..and..JT looked fit...maybe he would come back for us and just walk around at the back directing the headless chickens we seem to put out!

Stim   

From not playing the kids enough to playing them too much what a wild ride.

Blue Rod   
1 hour ago, Jasonb said:

They are easy lazy balls. They make our possession figure look good. Neither the passer nor the receiver needs to put in much effort. It's like we want to win on the cheap. I think we do have a long way to go to become a top and consistent team. I do hope we get there with this set up. But we need fundamental changes in the way we play. 

Jasonb   
1 hour ago, chara said:

Watching the "final" yesterday and the amount of angled balls Citeh played...light years away from us..two other thoughts..Foden looked fresh and talented (very) and benefits from not being overplayed in contrast to our kids who are having to deliver week in week out..and..JT looked fit...maybe he would come back for us and just walk around at the back directing the headless chickens we seem to put out!

It would be interesting if another club put in an offer for Foden as he has had very little game time this season.

8 hours ago, Jasonb said:

It would be interesting if another club put in an offer for Foden as he has had very little game time this season.

I read he is promised Silva’s position next year .

paulw66   
On 01/03/2020 at 5:39 PM, Holymoly said:

All this navel gazing regarding defense is a bit pointless. Lampard is doing the best with what he's got for the rest of the season. The variety of suggestions by posters here would suggest that there is no overwhelming individual so it is a question of finding the best blend for a particular opponent. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. I would argue however that the main reason for the disappointing results we've seen is not as a result of the defense but rather that the attack doesn't score enough goals based on the possession/chances we have. When you are (at best) defending a one goal advantage stuff is always eventually going to happen. At the start of the season when we were winning a string of games we were scoring goals and the other team weren't being let off the hook.

We have got a terrific batch of young players and what we need to add to them are players who are big upgrades they can aspire to emulate. What we don't want/need is another group of foreigners that no-one has heard of that are only as good as what we already have.

I actually think this is completely the other way around. We shouldn't have to score 3 goals to beat Bournemouth. 

The issues in attack, I can completely accept. Frank inherited a forward line that had:

1. Just lost its best player

2. Has 3 players over 30 and well past their best

3. 3 inexperienced "kids" one of whom is brand new to English football, and the youngest coming off a bad injury

4. Plus a useless Michy

Moreover, all of those in point 3 are currently injured and unavalable. The options Frank has in attack are currently feeble.

Conversely, the defenders available to Frank are largely all the same as last season (when we conceded 39 league goals) , bar the one player he chose to get rid of, plus some extras returning from loan. We have 4 international centre halves betwen 22-27, two international left backs in their 20s, an international right back (30) and perhaps the best kid of the lot also at right back. Yet with all of that at our disposal, we look absolutely shocking at the back. We look likely to conceded whenever the oppo attack, whether it be Bayern, Bournemouth or a Spurs team with no forwards. Ignoring tactics and formations etc, the frequency in which concede from corners, whilst offering no threat ourselves from our own, is making things very difficult. I think we are at the bottom of goals conceded from corners (as a percentage of corners conceded) and the worst for the number of corners in which it takes us to score from one. This is something that needs addressing, and you don't need world class players to defend corners properly. The apathy from Frank about the Lerma goal was worrying. 

Jasonb   
35 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Conversely, the defenders available to Frank are largely all the same as last season (when we conceded 39 league goals) , bar the one player he chose to get rid of, plus some extras returning from loan. We have 4 international centre halves betwen 22-27, two international left backs in their 20s, an international right back (30) and perhaps the best kid of the lot also at right back. Yet with all of that at our disposal, we look absolutely shocking at the back. We look likely to conceded whenever the oppo attack, whether it be Bayern, Bournemouth or a Spurs team with no forwards. Ignoring tactics and formations etc, the frequency in which concede from corners, whilst offering no threat ourselves from our own, is making things very difficult. I think we are at the bottom of goals conceded from corners (as a percentage of corners conceded) and the worst for the number of corners in which it takes us to score from one. This is something that needs addressing, and you don't need world class players to defend corners properly. The apathy from Frank about the Lerma goal was worrying. 

The issue defensively for me is that under Sarri we played with limited space between the lines constricting space and keeping players like Barkley and Kovacic held back defensively.

Under Frank this is not happening we are playing more open in using midfield in attack to try and break down the opposition and without the holding players Jorginho moves to slowly to stop a break or help the defence on his own. It is not a question of the personnel rather the system and is why for me Frank put such an emphasis on putting our chances away. 

The problems of changing a system with a mixed squad and a transfer ban are huge.

1 hour ago, paulw66 said:

I actually think this is completely the other way around. We shouldn't have to score 3 goals to beat Bournemouth. 

The issues in attack, I can completely accept. Frank inherited a forward line that had:

1. Just lost its best player

2. Has 3 players over 30 and well past their best

3. 3 inexperienced "kids" one of whom is brand new to English football, and the youngest coming off a bad injury

4. Plus a useless Michy

Moreover, all of those in point 3 are currently injured and unavalable. The options Frank has in attack are currently feeble.

This - and a post that bears repeating in full.  Very good.
Luiz, for all the criticism, was a dominant force in the 6 yard box, and Rudiger looked one alongside him.  That has gone and opponents know it and want to take advantage of it.  Changing Keeper has made no difference to that.

1 hour ago, Jasonb said:

The issue defensively for me is that under Sarri we played with limited space between the lines constricting space and keeping players like Barkley and Kovacic held back defensively.

No one ever told Barkley about that.  The great problem with Kovacic last year was that he sat when clearly the manager wanted the No 8 to get forward more.  That is why RLC was briefly first choice at the end.
This year, the irony is how he and Frank have received so much praise because Kovacic is presumed to get forward so much more.  Yet in fact he has mostly played as sub for Kante and stuck closer to Jorginho than anyone did last year or this, including himself or Kante last year.

The issue is that last year we seen as having more bite in attack - if only because Hazard was on the team sheet.  We got more respect, full backs rarely stayed up against us, opponents took fewer chances to get forward.  (As a general rule, what opponents do is never mentioned on fora like this, but it is often as critical as the decisions by our own coach).  Last year they were respectful, this year they are taking the piss.  That is what happens when oppo clubs employ scouts.