• Current Donation Goals

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Droy was my hero said:

So this morning I read RM want to buy Kepa, and tomorrow it will be City want him.  Week in week out I see highly rated keepers do far worse than Kepa has ever done.

wow

I do like McTominay - he is like Matic would be if he could run and jump.

RM want Kepa ?

Kepa and DeGea at the same time will be a stretch even for them .

The Daily Mail saying that DeGea off to Madrid this morning .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
chara   
3 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

Yeah I heard that - amazing.  Cookie, McCreadie, Boyle, McLaughlin, Speedie, Nevin, and of course John McNaught.

Young Billy reminds me most of all of little Billy Bremner.  Except I like our one.

Hmmm..agree with you again Droy!.......Bremner was a top player..hate to admit it...but was more like Saturday night pub brawler....young Billy can't even get in a pub!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
chara   

PS..I thought Oscar looked too young to be out on his own but Billy looks about twelve...but plays like a 25 year old..amazing...can't remember the Everton player twice his size who lost out to Billy and was awarded FK...he did look embarrassed I have to say!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Impressive performance, but not one to get too over excited about when opposition offered nothing. That 2nd goal in football is so important and once we had that 2nd goal then the 3pts were never in doubt. It's all a bit shoulda,woulda,coulda........but if we could have just got that 2nd goal in just 2-3 additional games this season then we would have an additional 6-8 pts.

Gilmour impressive for his age and lack of experience and backed up well by Roy of the Rovers Barkley for his best game in a Chelsea. Though it was mostly up against a flat midfield four and we dominated and outnumbered them in that area.

I fully expect a good run from here on in to secure top 4 as we do often seem to hit form this time of year. I have not looked backed at any stats to support this, but I always feel over the last few years that we start well and then hit our dip from November through until January , then pick up again from Feb until end of season and I expect we will see something similar over the coming weeks.

Interesting first season for Lamps and would love to know how his opinion has changed on a numbers of players since the start of the season.He must be looking back on the season and think he has made an error in criminally under utilizing Pedro and Giroud. Neither of them of first team certain starters at this stage of their career at a club like Chelsea and we maybe are benefiting from them being relatively fresh right now. However, you can't help but think that having them more involved throughout the season would have benefited the club by an additional 6-10pts at least this season . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Leo91   

I'm still not sold on Giroud for a full season. Excellent 3rd striker but that's it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, LeBoeufsGolfBall said:

Impressive performance, but not one to get too over excited about when opposition offered nothing. That 2nd goal in football is so important and once we had that 2nd goal then the 3pts were never in doubt. It's all a bit shoulda,woulda,coulda........but if we could have just got that 2nd goal in just 2-3 additional games this season then we would have an additional 6-8 pts.

Gilmour impressive for his age and lack of experience and backed up well by Roy of the Rovers Barkley for his best game in a Chelsea. Though it was mostly up against a flat midfield four and we dominated and outnumbered them in that area.

I fully expect a good run from here on in to secure top 4 as we do often seem to hit form this time of year. I have not looked backed at any stats to support this, but I always feel over the last few years that we start well and then hit our dip from November through until January , then pick up again from Feb until end of season and I expect we will see something similar over the coming weeks.

Interesting first season for Lamps and would love to know how his opinion has changed on a numbers of players since the start of the season.He must be looking back on the season and think he has made an error in criminally under utilizing Pedro and Giroud. Neither of them of first team certain starters at this stage of their career at a club like Chelsea and we maybe are benefiting from them being relatively fresh right now. However, you can't help but think that having them more involved throughout the season would have benefited the club by an additional 6-10pts at least this season . 

I think we're benefiting from a meritocratic approach to selection. Past managers would always go back to their favourites, now players seem to be able to play themselves in and out of the team. If Gilmour continues like this against Villa and Bayern I don't see any reason to bring back Jorginho. After two clean sheets, I don't see any reason to bring back Christensen for Zouma. Azpi and Alonso are doing well, so James stays on the bench and Emerson stays in the wilderness. Almost everyone in the squad has had a run in the team at some point in the season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LeBoeufsGolfBall said:

Impressive performance, but not one to get too over excited about when opposition offered nothing. That 2nd goal in football is so important and once we had that 2nd goal then the 3pts were never in doubt. It's all a bit shoulda,woulda,coulda........but if we could have just got that 2nd..........

.....   Interesting first season for Lamps and would love to know how his opinion has changed on a numbers of players since the start of the season.He must be looking back on the season and think he has made an error in criminally under utilizing Pedro and Giroud. Neither of them of first team certain starters at this stage of their career at a club like Chelsea and we maybe are benefiting from them being relatively fresh right now. However, you can't help but think that having them more involved throughout the season would have benefited the club by an additional 6-10pts at least this season . 

Yes Everton were particularly poor, and especially after they went 2 down.  Maybe most lower PL clubs have players who spent a while in the Championship, getting promoted, with naive ideas about getting a result from 2-down.  Certainly I can't think of many teams that give up so early.

It would be wrong to get excited about this game, just as it would be wrong to get downhearted about the BM game.

Giroud and Pedro both got starts at the start of the season and did little, while Tammy was blazing for the first half of the season so no one could say Giroud deserved a shot till about January when things appeared to be complicated.
I think with young players who are playing well, you sometimes just have to go with the flow, rather than trying to fine tune it with a proper balance.  Inevitably then, when you do make changes it appears too late with hindsight.

42 minutes ago, chiswickblue said:

I think we're benefiting from a meritocratic approach to selection. Past managers would always go back to their favourites, now players seem to be able to play themselves in and out of the team.

That is one way of describing it.  Another is that there is only 3 or 4 first teamers with guaranteed places.  
Yet another, and the one I prefer, is that this year is part of a long term re-build, and the club (Manager, scouts and board) needs to see all the players in action because long term decisions currently have a higher priority than the short term one of winning the next game.  You can see how players generally get 3-6 games in a row, rather than just get used as cover.

Having said that, the only reason Gilmour was out there was that we have 6 midfield players and 3 were injured.  I don't think one can say he played his way in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, chiswickblue said:

I think we're benefiting from a meritocratic approach to selection. Past managers would always go back to their favourites, now players seem to be able to play themselves in and out of the team. If Gilmour continues like this against Villa and Bayern I don't see any reason to bring back Jorginho. After two clean sheets, I don't see any reason to bring back Christensen for Zouma. Azpi and Alonso are doing well, so James stays on the bench and Emerson stays in the wilderness. Almost everyone in the squad has had a run in the team at some point in the season.

I mentioned much the same myself recently. The full use of the squad has led to SFL allowing players to showcase their quality and desire if nothing else. 

For the first time for a while we should be able to approach the summer with the coach knowing who should go and who should stay, who's a reliable back up  and who's liable to sulk when dropped. 

I'm expecting Jorginho and Kante to both be sold abroad to finance the persuit of the attacking players we are lacking. 

Ziyech is already confirmed but it would be nice to get Sancho and a bit more competition for Tammy and Giroud. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mark Kelly said:

I'm expecting Jorginho and Kante to both be sold abroad to finance the persuit of the attacking players we are lacking. 

I think a handful are going to be very disappointed.  Jorginho and Kepa are going to be the heart of our team for a long time, along with Tammy, Mount and James.  
Everyone else could go.

But Kante will be extremely difficult to sell until his injury record changes.  He needs 10 straight PL games before clubs can pay the kind of price we would let him go for together with the wages he deserves.  That means he has to be back in the team in the next game or two and probably a game or two pre-season.

I wouldn't begrudge him cashing in at all - same as Hazard.  And if he doesn't go this summer he'll be 30 in 2021.  It must be incredibly frustrating for him.  When I get frustrated I go out and er run.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.