• Current Donation Goals

paulw66   
3 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

Giving 20 mins to a sub nowadays is hardly comparable to doing it when it was one sub from a one man bench, let alone Ted Drake's time where it was zero subs and there was no bench.
If you are going to disqualify JM for playing 19 year olds bought in, why don't you exclude James, Mount and Tomori, all of which had a full season or two at Championship level?

Not really relevant as most of the debutants this season have played games from the start. Proper minutes. 

On the second point, there is a clear and disctinct difference giving game time to a player who has been bought for big money, than playing an academy graduate, albeit one that has been loaned to the level below. I think deep down you know that. 

For example, nobody is including Pulisic in the "academy" players Lamaprd has given game time to.  

Edited by paulw66

1 hour ago, NoblyBobly said:

If you want to read the article its from SB Nation. Stop arguing with me and argue with the author. But so you get the drift of his words these are the players he counts as young Academy debuts :

Brojo, Mount, James, Gilmour, Lamptey, Guehi, Maatsen, Anjorin. 

He doesn't include Abraham or Tomorri because they already had a debut. He also points out that although Gilmour and Maatsen joined as tennagers the rest were here from a very young age of about 6 or 7. Sounds about right to me.

But please send the author a strongly worded letter telling him that JM did better, then fill us in with the reply.

Why - he is clearly listing them as a curiosity, not as some sign of massive progress.
Discount Mount and James who both just finished a full Championship season where they were undoubted stars in their teams.

Gilmour has had 4 starts of which 1 was in PL.
Guehi has had 2 LC starts.
Genuine debut players total 6 starts all season of which 1 is in the Prem or CL.

CHO managed more last year.  Sarri did more to introduce young Chelsea players to top class football than Lampard has so far this season.
Can we move on now?

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

Can we move on now?

Please lets.What else would it be but an interesting curiosity? The author thought it interesting enough to print it...I'm sorry I bothered you and the forum with it ...and who said anything about massive progress??? It's just quite heartening isn't it to see these youngsters getting a chance when normally they wouldn't. And I am fully aware that if there were no transfer ban these kids might not have got their chance. But they did, and Frank got them to play well. For fecs sake what does it take to put a smile on your face?

1 hour ago, paulw66 said:

Not really relevant as most of the debutants this season have played games from the start. Proper minutes. 

On the second point, there is a clear and disctinct difference giving game time to a player who has been bought for big money, than playing an academy graduate, albeit one that has been loaned to the level below. I think deep down you know that. 

For example, nobody is including Pulisic in the "academy" players Lamaprd has given game time to.  

Yes agree very much.

Paul...if you are on a PC and you scroll to highlight a line of a post , you should see a little word QUOTE pop up. Click on this and it will just add that line in your answer. It sometimes better and clearer than making it bold within the post. Not sure how to do it on phone or tablet but someone will know. 

bert19   

I happened to be listening to/watching with half an eye this week's edition of Sunday Supplement before the Liverpool game last night.  They had a section dedicated to Chelsea vs Everton (as it was coming up that afternoon).  I'm pretty sure we weren't mentioned once.  It was all about Everton, how they brought Ancelotti in, how he was lured by 'the project',  how they'd improved and then as they do in every segment, they managed to turn it round to Klopp and Liverpool as a comparison.  

The way they presented Everton (and by association Liverpool) was staggering.  Like the city has two clubs the size & stature of Real Madrid and Barcelona playing within a mile of each other.  Some sort of footballing Mecca.  

No mention of us beating Liverpool during the week and the fantastic performance from the team there, all about Everton.  It was clear that Sky's narrative was that they wanted and expected an Everton win that afternoon.  They are the big club.  

We won 4-0. Ha. 

They really haven't.  Did you check Nobly's list.  

No I really don't think there is.  Essentially Frank giving Mount a debut at Chelsea is no different to him giving Pulisic a debut.  Neither are stepping up much.  Both have had a couple of good seasons elsewhere and neither are a risk.  Giving starts to Gilmour and Guehi have been the only time he has significantly advance a young Chelsea player this season, and only one of those starts has been in the Prem so far.  
Had Mount or James had not been on loan last season or Pulisic not been loaned back last January, you can be certain they would have been given debuts in the cup at least by Sarri.  

18 minutes ago, bert19 said:

No mention of us beating Liverpool during the week and the fantastic performance from the team there, all about Everton.  It was clear that Sky's narrative was that they wanted and expected an Everton win that afternoon.  They are the big club.  

The Lampard effect and the "can we like Chelsea now" effect are over.  We've beaten Liverpool and are above everyone else except City and Leicester.  Back to normal.