• Current Donation Goals

Sciatika   

I thought Rudi was struggling yesterday 

chelboy   
9 minutes ago, Lump Of Celery said:

Presuming the injuries remain I would agree with that starting line up, although god knows who will start at CB. James definitely worth a go in midfield, he's pretty hard to get past and could actually what we have been missing with Gilmour adding some bite too (and fully deserving to start). This midfield looks more balanced than Gilmour, Mount, Barkley, which would in turn mean Bats or Emerson playing out of position. Your starting line up would also allow transitioning to 343 with no subs made.

Yeah we could switch to a 352/343 if we winning late on. I don’t think the 343 can work without Kante or Kova though. One of them is needed if not both. I don’t think we will see the same energy levels from Gilmour on Sunday as he hasn’t played many intense games like he did yesterday and will likely take a toll on him. Putting him in a 343 would make him have to work harder. 

1 hour ago, chelboy said:

Yeah we could switch to a 352/343 if we winning late on. I don’t think the 343 can work without Kante or Kova though. One of them is needed if not both. I don’t think we will see the same energy levels from Gilmour on Sunday as he hasn’t played many intense games like he did yesterday and will likely take a toll on him. Putting him in a 343 would make him have to work harder. 

Well it depends. Our options for formation are 343 or 433. We cannot really play 4231 unless you start RLC as we simply do not have the players, unless you do something like move James into the middle. However, I would be loath to do that as James is our best crosser and Giroud is at his most dangerous attacking crosses into the box. 

17 minutes ago, King Kante said:

Well it depends. Our options for formation are 343 or 433. We cannot really play 4231 unless you start RLC as we simply do not have the players, unless you do something like move James into the middle. However, I would be loath to do that as James is our best crosser and Giroud is at his most dangerous attacking crosses into the box. 

Chelboy has a point.  It is one thing playing an extra CB and two hardworking CMs.  Quite another when the 2 remaining CMs are Gilmour and Mount (or Barkley).  Much as I like the attitude of the 2 youngsters.  Putting James or (my punt) Azpi into midfield where they are needed instead of CB where they are not against Everton, makes a lot of sense. 

One way out is to ask the 2 FBs to play as out and out midfielders tucked into a 4 man midfield.  I'm sure Azpi/James and Alonso could do that.  Though in the past our FBs have tended to play high and wide.

One thing that surprise me against Liverpool was just how much Pedro was willing to get involved all over the pitch - like a much younger version.

Rob B   

One thing I’ve noticed recently is that Calvert Lewin is really strong in the air, with a particularly impressive leap. 

For this reason, plus a good performance against Liverpool, Zouma would be a shoe-in to start this one for me.  Probably next to Christensen if he’s fit. 

17 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

Chelboy has a point.  It is one thing playing an extra CB and two hardworking CMs.  Quite another when the 2 remaining CMs are Gilmour and Mount (or Barkley).  Much as I like the attitude of the 2 youngsters.  Putting James or (my punt) Azpi into midfield where they are needed instead of CB where they are not against Everton, makes a lot of sense. 

One way out is to ask the 2 FBs to play as out and out midfielders tucked into a 4 man midfield.  I'm sure Azpi/James and Alonso could do that.  Though in the past our FBs have tended to play high and wide.

One thing that surprise me against Liverpool was just how much Pedro was willing to get involved all over the pitch - like a much younger version.

Surely if anyone is going into midfield from the defence it would be AC as he plays that role for Denmark? As for the formation I am fairly relaxed about it for this one, it is just that I do not see us playing 4231 as we are so light on midfield numbers and Alonso is less effective. 

As for you comments about Pedro, I agree.

10 minutes ago, King Kante said:

Surely if anyone is going into midfield from the defence it would be AC as he plays that role for Denmark? As for the formation I am fairly relaxed about it for this one, it is just that I do not see us playing 4231 as we are so light on midfield numbers and Alonso is less effective. 

Don't tell me you watch Danish international football too!!
Does he?  I feel pretty sure he wouldn't play there if they had Azpi as an option too.  Still I like my CMs and DMs to get stuck in, not just Lord it about and play the odd Hollywood ball.

chelboy   
53 minutes ago, King Kante said:

I agree he is our best crosser but considering we have no Kante Jorg or Kova it’s best to partner Gilmour with someone who has played in a slightly defensive midfield role. Mount hasn’t played that role before and he would probably get caught on the wrong side of the ball a lot. A 343 with Mount and Gilmour would have gaps in midfield and a 433 with Mount Gilmour and Barkley is quite attacking and leaves Gilmour with a lot to do. I would only play that when chasing the game. In terms of balance James would ease Gilmour defensive responsibility. 

18 minutes ago, Rob B said:

One thing I’ve noticed recently is that Calvert Lewin is really strong in the air, with a particularly impressive leap. 

For this reason, plus a good performance against Liverpool, Zouma would be a shoe-in to start this one for me.  Probably next to Christensen if he’s fit. 

As much as I think this partnership could work it isn’t worth trying it again until pre season. There is a big lack of understanding when both play together. They both play much better with Rudiger which is why we can’t afford to drop Rudiger. If we could find the problem with zouma and Chris partnership then it could give us a good balance. I always think we miss Zouma aerial ability and pace when he isn’t playing. 

27 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

Don't tell me you watch Danish international football too!!
Does he?  I feel pretty sure he wouldn't play there if they had Azpi as an option too.  Still I like my CMs and DMs to get stuck in, not just Lord it about and play the odd Hollywood ball.

Haha, no but I follow the results enough to note the line up and formations. 

Agree on the CM and DM point too. Looking ahead at the Summer a big, strong, physical and athletic CM/DM is at the top end of my list of requirements. 

18 minutes ago, chelboy said:

I agree he is our best crosser but considering we have no Kante Jorg or Kova it’s best to partner Gilmour with someone who has played in a slightly defensive midfield role. Mount hasn’t played that role before and he would probably get caught on the wrong side of the ball a lot. A 343 with Mount and Gilmour would have gaps in midfield and a 433 with Mount Gilmour and Barkley is quite attacking and leaves Gilmour with a lot to do. I would only play that when chasing the game. In terms of balance James would ease Gilmour defensive responsibility. 

As much as I think this partnership could work it isn’t worth trying it again until pre season. There is a big lack of understanding when both play together. They both play much better with Rudiger which is why we can’t afford to drop Rudiger. If we could find the problem with zouma and Chris partnership then it could give us a good balance. I always think we miss Zouma aerial ability and pace when he isn’t playing. 

Yeah, I understand the logic, I just wouldn't sacrifice James' crossing for it. AC or Dave (as Droy suggests) would be a better idea imo if SFL does go for the 4231.