• Current Donation Goals

JaneB

Bayern Munich 4 Chelsea 1 (7 - 1 on aggregate)

Ham   
26 minutes ago, Blue_In_Every_Way said:

Oh no doubt. But Tammy had a long spell where he couldn't get a goal prior to lockdown. Give me a poor but scoring Tammy instead any day of the week..

I know it's not fair at this stage of his career but him compared to Lewandowski is chalk and the opposite of chalk.

Just now, Ham said:

I know it's not fair at this stage of his career but him compared to Lewandowski is chalk and the opposite of chalk.

There isn't a single player that can match Lewy right now though. Tammy at one point this season looked a pretty good player. Then he got that injury and basically became unable to score. If Tammy can get back to his early season performances, I would be very comfortable moving ahead with him next season as well.

Thank goodness that's over. Onward to next season and hopefully a more dangerous and defensively tight team. Werner and Ziyech will add much of what we're missing at the moment, finishing and creativity. We also need to fix our defensive issues and possibly look at hiring a defensive coach.

Frank has gotten the best out of so many players this season. Azpi, Willian, Jorginho, Giroud, Barkley and especially Kovacic have improved from last year's tepid performances under the perennial loser Sarri. Our refreshingly direct style of play from Frank has been a breath of fresh air in contrast to the thoroughly dull affair that was "Sarriball". Mount, Tammy and James have pushed their way into the team thanks to the management giving our youth a chance, something we would never have dreamt of happening under previous managers.

We also have a settled (and hopefully inujry free) Pulisic to look forward to next season. With a new keeper and CB we could be challenging for titles, but we need to temper our expectations for next year regardless of what happens over the transfer window. Personally I would be fine with another trophyless season so long as we see clear signs of progress in all areas, not just attack (as woule be expected with the addition of quality players like TW & Ziyech).

Vinod   
7 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

I reckon you are just winding us up...

Don't much care about the result - just gland the season is over and in a day or so we can talk about the future.
CHO started bright and faded.  Tammy got one clear chance and took it (hurray).  James looked pretty good at this level.  Mount looked enthusiastic for 30 mins.  Zouma was having one of his "good for Everton" days.  No one else impressed at all.  Cabs was v poor and the defence certainly did not look "confident with Cabs behind them".  Never seen Kante outpaced before, but over 10m Davies was 3m quicker - incredible.

So last year I though we had a lot of dead wood, but at least Kepa, Azpi, Rudiger, Kante, Jorginho, Kovacic and Willian were the makings of a good team with the right additions.

WE may have had some good additions back from loan and Pulisic with Pulisic and Ziyech to come - but what happened to our core players this season?
 Of Kepa, Azpi, Rudiger, Kante, Jorginho, Kovacic and Willian  only Azpi and Willian can be said to have matched last seasons performances.
5 key players have been poor.  That stinks.  Why?

A fair assessment of the situation. I would actually argue Kovacic performed better till December.

The transition will take a good 2 seasons. It's a universal problem. If you are given a bad bunch, it is near impossible to get the best of good guys as well. You need to weed out the underperformers.

The point to note here is that we got to 4th place because of key contributions by Tammy and Mount in the first few months. I'm happy with Lampard. He is also learning. 

Absolutely battered, and with ease, but not too upset or critical because Bayern can do that to pretty much anyone on their day. And I'm just glad this season is done; christ knows how the players feel because I'm in desperate need of a rest.

One last time this season; Caballero is really obviously not a steadying hand to these defenders, and these defenders are very clearly not being drilled or prepared for matches as well as they should be. Never know what is going on behind closed doors but the level on which I'm losing respect for them is that no one seems to have challenged that. A new assistant is as important as any other business we can do this summer.

• Like 1

I'm so glad that draws an end to our season, it was a horrible game we just had to get done. To be completely honest, a lot of our players out there seemed to be knackered after about an hour and up until then, I felt like they made a good account of themselves and managed to at least stay in the game.

We can't judge too harshly, as we were playing (IMO) the best team in Europe right now, who are 4/5 years ahead with their side.

What I found most interesting was Rio's analysis after the game, now I don't particularly like the guy, but he was spot on - it's so clear that NOBODY back there when we're defending, is talking; the midfielders are not directing the defenders to the runners into the box that they haven't been able to track, the full-back is not directing the CBs to let them know someone has arrived behind them where they can't see and the result is, that Bayern always had at least 1 man free almost every time the ball came into the box.

He, or it may have been Owen Hargreaves, also backed up what I've been saying in recent weeks, we don't necessarily need to out and spend £50/60million on a CB, the first thing we need to do is sign an actual organiser back there, someone who can organise the defenders, will shout at the others and tell them where they need to be... the more I look at it, the more I feel Dunk would be a great signing for us.

Anyway, this season is over, let's take a deep breath and bring on next season... come on FRANK!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, DannyLB said:

And this simple sentence is exactly how I’d sum up this season. Yes, it had romantic moments but I’d very much like to go back to the days in which we truly competed. 

Well yes I think we would all like to go back to the days when we had Drogba leading the line and not an untried academy product, or JT and Carvaliho instead of Christenson and Rudiger, or Cech instead of Kepa, or Ash instead of Emerson, or Robben instead of William or Lamps instead of just about anyone.....but we are where we are. We lost our one world class player and had to make do with what we had left. And they weren't a few romantic moments, they were moments ( and many of them) when we glimsed the future. I feel sure that 2 it 3 of these academy lads will become first team regulars...the first since JT. 

Its over and the long long season is done. There are a few 'if only's' I will grant you.  We did get stuffed by BM but we got out of our CL group ( if only we hadn't finished second). We got to FA cup final ( if only we hadn't had more luck and not a bent ref). If only we had Pulisic available more this season because he's a game changer.  But  we got top 4 ( that was the Holy Grail) along with  United and City who broke the bank with City cheating fair play rules yet again. Arsenal and Spurs are beneath us. They would swap in a heartbeat.

Well done Frank. You're still Super. 

Edited by NoblyBobly
  • Like 2

Bison   

It's finally over. We limped over the line and somehow got a Champions League spot but what a disastrous campaign. We got worse as the season went on which says a lot about the players but more so the manager.

1 hour ago, thevelourfog said:

Absolutely battered, and with ease, but not too upset or critical because Bayern can do that to pretty much anyone on their day. And I'm just glad this season is done; christ knows how the players feel because I'm in desperate need of a rest.

One last time this season; Caballero is really obviously not a steadying hand to these defenders, and these defenders are very clearly not being drilled or prepared for matches as well as they should be. Never know what is going on behind closed doors but the level on which I'm losing respect for them is that no one seems to have challenged that. A new assistant is as important as any other business we can do this summer.

Absolutely but where do you find one? And we need one badly and that itself doesn't bode well for Lampard. 

19 minutes ago, Bison said:

It's finally over. We limped over the line and somehow got a Champions League spot but what a disastrous campaign. We got worse as the season went on which says a lot about the players but more so the manager.

Absolutely but where do you find one? And we need one badly and that itself doesn't bode well for Lampard. 

Really? So, what exactly were your expectations? Personally, before we kicked a ball this season and based on the squad Lampard inherited, the fact our new manager couldn't sign ANY players and we had sold our (by far) best player in the summer who contributed to at least 50% of our goals previously, the injuries we had for the start of the season and the realisation we would have to rely on some of our academy players who hadn't ever played PL football, I honestly went into the season with the expectations of:

- get top 6 and ensure some kind of European football next season (exceeded)
- have a decent cup run (check!)
- get out of the group stages of the CL (check!)
- blood some youngsters and begin building foundations for us to move forward into a new era (check)

Are these the expectations I have going into next season? Absolutely not and I'll judge next season against my expectations for that one, but to call this last campaign as disastrous is ridiculous. We had some disastrous moments, but the season overall, I would say we've done alright.

In terms of the assistant manager, completely agree, I said it months ago and I'd say it even louder now, but again to say that this doesn't bode well for Frank seems slightly unfair, do you think all the great managers do it alone or do you think all the great managers have exceptional support staff and assist managers? Go and ask Fergie if he'd have been as successful as he was without those assistant managers he had through his career. If it doesn't bode well for anyone, it's Jody Morris I would say.

In terms of where we go and find one, that is a very good question. I'd go all out for Steve Holland, I'm sure he could split his time between Chelsea and England if he really needed to.

34 minutes ago, Bison said:

I suppose it might be a disaster for you, especially if you were one of those whose who predicted we'd finish mid table at best. Top 4, Cup Final, into knock out stages of CL must seem like an unmitigated disaster. Plus we gained a lot of neutral fans this season. Supporters from all different clubs ( including scousers) have said to me how they admire the blooding of youth and sometimes brilliant football we played. Lampard himself is seen as a decent coach , a fair assessor of a game and a non moaner ( how he remained calm at some of the refereeing this season is beyond me). We have peoples respect.

The defence and the keeper cost us a really easy run in imo. We have a keeper with the worse save rate in the league yet we still got to 4th. Those two stats alongside side each other tell a story. But what we also have now is a war chest due to no transfers this season. So far I think he's spending it wisely but of course we need more... the future though looks bright ( tinged with blue).

So sorry for the disaster Bison. Go and drown your sorrows with some Spurs and Arsenal fans ( they got some lovely EL fixtures in outer Mongolia to look forward to next season). 

If we can get some fans in the grounds, 20/21 is going to be fun.

Interesting edit: Did you know that if you spell check scousers it turns into ' accussers' 😱

Edited by NoblyBobly